British Speedway Forum

British Final 2022

1 hour ago, screm said:

What a shambles regarding Ellis, no way should he be going to Cardiff because of what he did last year. He will be an embarrassment there but so be it.

So would Harris but people are going crazy over the fact its not him… only rider with an argument is Brennan 

7 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

What a ridiculous comment, that Ellis is a "scumbag" for accepting the wild card.

Is Bewley a "scumbag" for accepting a GB spot ahead of Kolodziej, Smolinski or Lebadevs who scored more in the GP Challenge?

Is Celina Liebmann a "scumbag" for accepting a SON2 wild card despite scoring less points than THIRTEEN other non-qualifiers in the qualifying rounds?

Is Tom Brennan a "scumbag" for accepting a SON squad position despite having a lower average in both the Prem & Champ than Charles Wright, Richard Lawson, Richie Worrall, Kyle Howarth, Danny King & Steve Worrall?

How many times did Harris get an undeserved wild card into the series? Didnt he also get the No16 once without actually earning it.. no moral fibre that man!! Scumbag  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, PhilTheAce said:

First of all. We all knew the rain was coming. Without the breaks after every 4 races we could have got to heat 16 I bet. Would have been less of a problem. 

they had less breaks for the son final because of the weather. Why not for the British final. 

leaving us standing there for 1 hour with no news what so ever is UNACCEPTABLE. We were all getting wet. 

regarding Ellis I kinda agree with the reason. But someone is going to miss out now whatever they do. 

lastly surely there is protocol for every situation so decisions can be made in quick sufficient time. But not. Not at BSPL. they will never learn. Shambolic organisation. 

quicker we get an independent body the better. 

first bit of rain we had this season. Bloody typical it was British final night. 

There was, a ballot but the riders didn't like that idea and they didn't stand up to them. Don't think the fans would have like that either! 

4 hours ago, speedwaysliders said:

WHEN you have a big inner circle in speedway you can do anything,a quick call to Armando Castagna maybe through his son Paco and its all sorted ,done and dusted even though NO ONE BUT Castagna knows what he has done!!! .Speedway circle of friends and you can get anything done.!!!

Surely the ACU representative (Tony Steele), consulted with the FIM member who just happened to be there (Tony Steele) and after much argument and disagreement a consensus was reached?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

A few weeks ago a friend of mine stated that as well as promoters fans are also contributing to the decline of British speedway......at the time I disagreed, however after reading all the negativity and nastiness on here and social media both last Thursday after the SoN semi and last night I think he is spot on. So many speedway supporters are utterly embarrassing, fawning over their favourite riders and unable to take a step back and look at situations objectively. Name calling, unpleasantness, bickering....its like the school playground.

The farting about while it poured last night was typical BSPL and unacceptable for the poor buggers there watching, but they eventually came to the least unsatisfactory decision.

I have not said anything nasty about Adam Ellis , I just dont agree with the outcome (it's a forum) its just messy and not just the weather, as said previously the biggest wrongdoing was to keep the fans hanging around in the rain for such a long time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

I have not said anything nasty about Adam Ellis , I just dont agree with the outcome (it's a forum) its just messy and not just the weather, as said previously the biggest wrongdoing was to keep the fans hanging around in the rain for such a long time.

But by the sounds of it the riders agree to ellis and no doubt realise the winner of this year will not get a wildcard spot next year as u say messy situation glad I didn't have to make the call 

Edited by mc131

The plan to rerun the British Final after Cardiff seems a bit daft. There is some kudos in being British Champion but not a lot anymore, unfortunately. The real interest comes from the prize of going to Cardiff. This rerun will look like a bit of a dead rubber.

And there has to be some logic in sending an in form rider to the British GP as the wildcard. Sending someone who was in form last year does not pass this test.

A run off (best of three plus any super heats if necessary) at a neutral venue between the top 3 would surely be more satisfactory than going back to last year's meeting. At least it would be decided in a set of straight races rather than race times or drawing lots (heavens forbid). If the neutral track was streamed on BSN, there are commercial possibilities (barring any problems with Eurosport over the rights, of course).

It just feels like we've ended up with a result that pleases no one (apart from Adam E, of course). I've got nothing against Adam. He was a deserved winner last year and it's a real shame that Cardiff didn't run. But I just feel empty in thinking about this decision. 

The meeting was going well, and the 3 guys who finished on 8 points all rode brilliantly. 

There is no perfect solution, but surely rain in the UK is not entirely unexpected, so a contingency should have been set and known and published in advance for deciding the title and the GP slot. 

A 3 way run off at Cardiff before the GP, with the winner crowned champion and the best finisher out of of Brennan and Harris going into the GP would have been fun to see, and dare I say it a better idea than giving the GP place to the guy who scored 1 point on the night. Yes, I understand he won it last year, but that was last year. Anyway, I hope Ellis goes well at Cardiff. 

Nevermind. As I say, there is no perfect answer, but the lack of foresight makes everyone look like a right bunch of amateurs. 

• Like 1

So, allegedly it was a FIM decision for Adam to progress to the British Final. Cannot argue if that is the case.

But who made the decision to have Jack Smith as first reserve and Harry McGurk as second reserve?

Surely in the grand scheme of promoting fairness and youth it should have been McGurk with either Mulford, Hagon or Ablitt? 

The thing that astounds me is that there was no provision put in place for any possibility weather wise BEFORE the meeting.

Manchester is hardly noted for being sunny and dry all year round.

If rain forecast no parade. Just possibly could have got to each rider having his four programmed rides.

You could argue Ellis didn’t get a chance to ride at Cardiff last year. If he was in the mix there would have been less of an outcry.

Perhaps people need to take off their (insert colour of team) tinted glasses and say what would have been a fair decision.

Don’t call out Ellis. What rider would turn it down? Call out the powers that be who had no provision in place.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

The thing that astounds me is that there was no provision put in place for any possibility weather wise BEFORE the meeting.

Manchester is hardly noted for being sunny and dry all year round.

If rain forecast no parade. Just possibly could have got to each rider having his four programmed rides.

You could argue Ellis didn’t get a chance to ride at Cardiff last year. If he was in the mix there would have been less of an outcry.

Perhaps people need to take off their (insert colour of team) tinted glasses and say what would have been a fair decision.

Don’t call out Ellis. What rider would turn it down? Call out the powers that be who had no provision in place.

Five programmed rides!

12 minutes ago, secsy1 said:

So, allegedly it was a FIM decision for Adam to progress to the British Final. Cannot argue if that is the case.

But who made the decision to have Jack Smith as first reserve and Harry McGurk as second reserve?

Surely in the grand scheme of promoting fairness and youth it should have been McGurk with either Mulford, Hagon or Ablitt? 

Reserves at British final mean nothing I'm sure randomly jack Smith always seems to be 1 or last few years at least