British Speedway Forum

Glasgow v Scunthorpe 12th June 2023

10 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Can they not delay it into an evening meeting? Would that be enough time to dry it out? Though I guess it depends on how sunny and windy it is? 

If the weather allowed, in theory, yes. But does become problematic for attendees.

1 minute ago, Noelinho said:

If the weather allowed, in theory, yes. But does become problematic for attendees.

Yes, that did enter my mind and fans hate waiting around to see if a meeting is going to called off or not! I did see a photo of the track on twitter and does look quite wet! 

17 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Can they not delay it into an evening meeting? Would that be enough time to dry it out? Though I guess it depends on how sunny and windy it is? 

6 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

For those that want to stay & those that have travelled, probably otherwise discount/ free entry at another meeting.

2 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

Streams are almost exclusively bought by away fans who cannot travel to the meeting.  With, for example. 100 watching, that's £1200 per meeting of extra income.  If you're spending over £1200 per meeting on the production of the stream, then you're doing something wrong. 

I thought the streaming they did last year could only be viewed outside a 25 mile radius of Glasgow,so aimed more at opponents supporters than home fans.

Just now, Noelinho said:

You're thinking of Edinburgh.

Thanks for the correction,but if the Monarchs can do it,why not Glasgow. I think Plymouth and Poole use the same production company to reduce costs,but I don't know how many people tune in to their streams.

I think from now on the policy will be if it's rains even for a second on the they will postpone the match for another date so rubbish like this stops from happening. Basically a no risk attitude. Been so lucky at Leicester this year with only one postponement. We've basically nearly completed our championship home matches. 

4 minutes ago, ScottyJ said:

I think from now on the policy will be if it's rains even for a second on the they will postpone the match for another date so rubbish like this stops from happening. Basically a no risk attitude. Been so lucky at Leicester this year with only one postponement. We've basically nearly completed our championship home matches. 

If you call off matches in June for a spot of rain, then you'll be racing these fixtures in a wet October, not able to cancel them as there's no dates left!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, szkocjasid said:

If you call off matches in June for a spot of rain, then you'll be racing these fixtures in a wet October, not able to cancel them as there's no dates left!

Yeah and be quick to moan when Leicester have to wait for everyone else to complete their meetings!

2 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I don't want it to be the policy I'm just saying that it could be the case from now on to stop stupid farces like this happening at Glasgow. If it's forecasts rain. Don't run the meeting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ScottyJ said:

I don't want it to be the policy I'm just saying that it could be the case from now on to stop stupid farces like this happening at Glasgow. If it's forecasts rain. Don't run the meeting. 

Forecasts not always right though. Especially when it is localised showers as they can hit anywhere. 

Just now, lisa-colette said:

Forecasts not always right though. Especially when it is localised showers as they can hit anywhere. 

This is my point, same people on criticising this decision would be on saying it's ridiculous calling it off based on a forecast. You can't win. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ScottyJ said:

6 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Not long ago on 20th May both Scunthorpe & Glasgow had forecasts of rain. We cancelled our meeting & got slated as fans turned up at the gates from Newcastle even though it was on British speedway site & ours & twitter that it had been cancelled at around noon. We also had a power cable cut that supplies the stadium just at the roundabout. Your meeting went ahead.