British Speedway Forum

Why does everybody hate Poole?

4 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Personally I try to defend my team when I think I need to, I don't defend them when they have bent or twisted the rules as they have done in the past a few times, I don't deny that but since we have been in the championship I don't remember any times when this has happened. I like the rivalry we have had over the years and the Glasgow Tigers rivalry is great and good for both teams and the sport in general I believe. We have been rightly criticized in the past for our bumpy track but that is not the case now. There are some who will always hold a Grudge against us and although we will always want to win a friendly rivalry with other teams is a good thing in my opinion. 

A few, come on Blue... ;).  That and they have one or 2 annoying posters that would argue that black is white to protect Ford and the club. I don't mind them at all now they are in the 2nd tier Championship  :) 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Personally I try to defend my team when I think I need to, I don't defend them when they have bent or twisted the rules as they have done in the past a few times, I don't deny that but since we have been in the championship I don't remember any times when this has happened. I like the rivalry we have had over the years and the Glasgow Tigers rivalry is great and good for both teams and the sport in general I believe. We have been rightly criticized in the past for our bumpy track but that is not the case now. There are some who will always hold a Grudge against us and although we will always want to win a friendly rivalry with other teams is a good thing in my opinion. 

If the meeting between our two sides at Glasgow a couple of weeks ago is anything to go by , then bring it on . Poole , Glasgow , Leicester and possibly Redcar are looking like the four likeliest winners of trophies this season , with Poole looking favourites , but the end of the season could be a bit special 

• Like 2

When Newcastle returned in 1975 and having a promoter who could find loop holes in the rules, Newcastle were the team

to hate but the opposition always had the best crowd of their season because so many fans came along because they hoped

to see us lose.

Unfortunately this didn't happen very often and this is why prior to 1984 we were the most successful team the National

League had seen for many years, yes I did want us to go back into the Premier League but the team was not strong enough

and so results affected the crowd and we closed at the end of the year.

Was classed as a local derby when Swindon Wiltshire rode Poole Dorset, even though over 70 miles apart. Some people jealous of Poole's success I suppose. Don't hate them as I have Dorset ancestry, the Knobs.

On 6/2/2022 at 12:06 PM, Paulco said:

If the meeting between our two sides at Glasgow a couple of weeks ago is anything to go by , then bring it on . Poole , Glasgow , Leicester and possibly Redcar are looking like the four likeliest winners of trophies this season , with Poole looking favourites , but the end of the season could be a bit special 

A long way to go yet and lots can happen.

8 minutes ago, jenga said:

just like to say i do not hate poole , if thats okay .

Same here.... I've been known to applaud Poole at the end of a meeting. ... although the last time was 1969 when they won 49-29 at Wolves. That was a great 'team' in the days of team Speedway. This was before the curse of doubling up, cynical average manipulation and excessive rider replacement took hold! 

On 6/2/2022 at 12:06 PM, Paulco said:

not while we're a 6 and sometimes 5 man team, too reliant on our top 3.

Loads of reasons why a club could be disliked.

1. The track - a lot of people hated on Lakeside because they did not like the size and shape of the track

2. The stadium - if it was hard to get to, parking a pain, or the viewing not very good.

3. The owner/promoter - if there was a feeling that said owner/promoter had abused the rules or taken advantage in an unsportsmanlike like manner.

4. The riders - if a team started to get a reputation for being a little over the top with their racing tactics.

5. The price of success - everyone loves an underdog, seldom do neutrals wants to see the same team always win everything.

6. Social media - Every club will have a minority supporters who’s only aim in life is to wind others up, but that can reflect badly on the club they choose to claim to represent.

Any three or more of those six and the chances are your club is not going to be very well liked.

• Thanks 1