British Speedway Forum

SON 2022 27th-30th July Vojens Denmark live on TV

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

That`s rubbish and you know it- they knew Tai was a doubt long before Saturday morning. Tai`s bike and pit crew were on hand so it just needed a rider !! Vojens is certainly not in the back of beyond - Billund is near and Hamburg isn`t a million miles away. I used the final as an example- it could have happened in any of the 6 races and GB would have been well and truly stuffed !!

Team GB had part of Friday and most of Saturday to get a rider there, as you say mechanics and bikes were already there to use. Major over sight by Team GB and it back room staff. In fact you could argue it wouldn't be the worsted idea to have an extra rider there anyway. 

• Like 1

It was watchable only because it was close throughout, the racing was pretty much gate and go which is consistent for Vojens because it’s a shyte track for proper racing, clearly the rain didn’t help but it did improve later on.

I thought Lambert and Bewley did very well all things considered especially after losing Woffinden but like others I seriously question why we went into a final with just two riders, that’s down to the management. I suppose cost comes into it but why did we fly Vatcher in for the SON 2 when we had 2 managers already there.

If their were doubts about Woffy then surely Brennan should have stayed or Ellis should have flown in.

Interesting that Tatum mentioned it was a good crowd, let’s be honest it was bloody woeful.

Edited by bigcatdiary
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, racers and royals said:

That`s rubbish and you know it- they knew Tai was a doubt long before Saturday morning. Tai`s bike and pit crew were on hand so it just needed a rider !! Vojens is certainly not in the back of beyond - Billund is near and Hamburg isn`t a million miles away. I used the final as an example- it could have happened in any of the 6 races and GB would have been well and truly stuffed !!

I stand by what I said - you’re comments were after the event hypothetical. Tai was not withdrawn until yesterday when it was clear his injuries were too severe for him to ride. There was perhaps a two hour window between the decision being made and the mid-day sign on at the track. Who would you suggest GB could get to Vojens in that time? The only possibilities were Brennan, Flint and Kemp but all had already left Denmark, as had all their kit. 
Tai’s injury was unfortunate but GB made the best of a bad job. Few had us as potential medal winners, even with Tai but we ended up second. 
There should be pride in the success and appreciation of the turnaround in fortune for GB since Vicky Blackwell and Rob Painter took over the management of the team. 
British speedway at international level is exceeding expectations, considering how poorly the domestic sport is run. Could have, should have, might have beens have no relevance. All that matters is what happened and where that will take us. IMO!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

I suppose cost comes into it but why did we fly Vatcher in for the SON 2 when we had 2 managers already there.

How much is a Ryanair flight to Billund?

38 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

Who would you suggest GB could get to Vojens in that time?

Scott Nicholls?

12 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

He was there, of course. But I doubt he’d fit into Tai’s race suit!

I'm pretty sure Team GB have a seamstress on the payroll... besides he would have fitted right in with the rest of the crew with their ill fitting uniforms :rofl:

In slightly related news, I'm not technically minded at all... but did anybody else notice the "gizmo" attached to Max Fricke's machine? You could see it in the gap in the engine cover, a box with some red lights on it with what looked like a data cable plugged into the top. Not everybody had one... what was it? And do any other riders have one?

2 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

I stand by what I said - you’re comments were after the event hypothetical. Tai was not withdrawn until yesterday when it was clear his injuries were too severe for him to ride. There was perhaps a two hour window between the decision being made and the mid-day sign on at the track. Who would you suggest GB could get to Vojens in that time? The only possibilities were Brennan, Flint and Kemp but all had already left Denmark, as had all their kit. 
Tai’s injury was unfortunate but GB made the best of a bad job. Few had us as potential medal winners, even with Tai but we ended up second. 
There should be pride in the success and appreciation of the turnaround in fortune for GB since Vicky Blackwell and Rob Painter took over the management of the team. 
British speedway at international level is exceeding expectations, considering how poorly the domestic sport is run. Could have, should have, might have beens have no relevance. All that matters is what happened and where that will take us. IMO!

The crash happened Friday morning. He was a doubt then. That’s approx 30+ hours to get someone over just incase tai couldn’t ride. 

I mean. There was 3 U21 riders over there on Friday. Keep one of them over. 

it’s not rocket science.  

painter as been a revelation for team Gb. The medals show this. But they do need to iron out little problems like having any back ups on standby 

1 hour ago, iainb said:

How much is a Ryanair flight to Billund?

Scott Nicholls?

For your info..for 7 days before and 5 days after there was NO AVAILABILITY ON any Flight to DENMARK yet alone Billund. Logistically given the time frame impossible to get a body to the event..but as for somebody stopping over from Friday..then that is a another question.

2 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

I certainly stand by what i said and most seem to think i`m talking sense. This was no challenge match !!! this was the major  team event  in 2022 This saying springs to mind fail to prepare- prepare to fail.

in coming 2nd yes they got away with it. But  in my view it was un-professional. As regards the early signing on, i agree it was early but that was for practice which was cancelled therefore did they ask the jury for dispensation to get someone there for a later signing on time for the meeting itself ?

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, spiegal said:

For your info..for 7 days before and 5 days after there was NO AVAILABILITY ON any Flight to DENMARK yet alone Billund. Logistically given the time frame impossible to get a body to the event..but as for somebody stopping over from Friday..then that is a another question.

You are not telling me there wasn`t a flight to Hamburg or Copenhagen ??

18 minutes ago, spiegal said:

For Billund see any airport on mainland Northern Europe or private plane from England to France/Germany 

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

You are not telling me there wasn`t a flight to Hamburg or Copenhagen ??

I think you’re just making yourself look silly now. It didn’t happen, and GB got silver. Would they have done better if they could have got someone else in quickly (who might not even have had a ride)? Who knows. Not me and not you. 
The decision was taken not to bring in a replacement (no doubt with difficulty and at uncertain cost) and the decision proved right. Do you really believe that GB would have won gold if any of the under 21s had been in the pits? Because I don’t. 

7 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

I think you’re just making yourself look silly now. It didn’t happen, and GB got silver. Would they have done better if they could have got someone else in quickly (who might not even have had a ride)? Who knows. Not me and not you. 
The decision was taken not to bring in a replacement (no doubt with difficulty and at uncertain cost) and the decision proved right. Do you really believe that GB would have won gold if any of the under 21s had been in the pits? Because I don’t. 

You are the one that`s making yourself look foolish- I suppose you are going to tell me in the 4 meetings this week in SON/SON 2 no one got injured and couldn`t continue and injury replacements ie 3rd rider  were totally unnecessary. 

Edited by racers and royals

5 hours ago, Midland Red said:

That’s fine as far as qualifying goes, but if you must have a final to decide the winners, rather than top scorers, then 4-3-2-0 becomes a nonsense.  2nd and 3rd being champions!!  What a nonsense.  Thank goodness the winners (whoever) were 1st and 2nd in the final race.

As we have said before, there are a number of other "team" sports and events (cycling, cross country skiing etc) where the standings are not decided by the person who crosses the line first, but when the LAST team member crosses the line. As it's a "team", that makes perfect sense. Otherwise, you are turning a team event into an individual event.

Just because we have had the 3, 2, 1, 0 points system for most of our history doesn't mean that it has to stay like that. Did you object when footy changed from 2 points for a win to 3?

• Confused 1