British Speedway Forum

Edinburgh - new home required….

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

It was absolutely ridiculous to announce anything until the land had actually been purchased. To say they were after a bit of prime land, and a stadium would be built by the start of next season was pie in the sky and all that it did was raise supporters hopes and alert potential property developers. Now it has dashed them. It would have been dar better to have stayed quiet, get on with buying the land without fans knowledge, submit plans with the local council, gain planning permissions and if it took a further year, then so what.

Instead today there are a lot of very disappointed Edinburgh fans. I feel for them.

What utter utter drivel. While ultimately the decision is not what everyone hoped for, the Monarchs needed the local community to rally round and lobby the council. 

Is there a mute button on this forum btw?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

It’s extremely disappointing news for the club as the council helped find the land and put the land up for sale for us to purchase. There was only ever one other bidder who the labour members of the committee who have majority of the vote have given the land too which will be used to build industrial units which he will rent out. 

Certain members of the board (labour members) have seen the money signs and seen it as a quick cash fix for the council rather than the long term gain and community aspect of it.

It really is a shame cause everyone else within the committee was all for the monarchs getting the land but when one party hold the majority vote then what chance do you have.

I’ve always said that most people go into politics for personal gain. Local councillors are the worst 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

What utter utter drivel. While ultimately the decision is not what everyone hoped for, the Monarchs needed the local community to rally round and lobby the council. 

Is there a mute button on this forum btw?

So you want to buy a piece of land. You announce to the world that you want to buy this piece of land. Property developers are suddenly alerted. They bid higher. Council accept offer. Avoiding complaints from nimbys.

When the Edinburgh promotion originally announced they were after this land, I recall making a post highlighting this very issue. The naivety from some posters on here is ridiculous.

I feel very sorry for the fans of Edinburgh Speedway and do hope the promotion, with the help of the local council, find an affordable piece of land suitable for a new stadium and the sport can continue in the area. It is disappointing that Edinburgh are going to be homeless after this season.

4 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

Really disappointing. As has been said next season has to be extremely unlikely. Hopefully there are other options to explore. 

A ground share with Glasgow for one season is that a possibility?.

Not ideal but needs must.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

So you want to buy a piece of land. You announce to the world that you want to buy this piece of land. Property developers are suddenly alerted. They bid higher. Council accept offer. Avoiding complaints from nimbys.

When the Edinburgh promotion originally announced they were after this land, I recall making a post highlighting this very issue. The naivety from some posters on here is ridiculous.

I feel very sorry for the fans of Edinburgh Speedway and do hope the promotion, with the help of the local council, find an affordable piece of land suitable for a new stadium and the sport can continue in the area. It is disappointing that Edinburgh are going to be homeless after this season.

So the whole thing should have been done behind closed doors meaning Edinburgh wouldn’t have the opportunity to demonstrate the support from fans and the community? You think someone who was looking to build industrial units in the area was only alerted to the availability of the land because of the Edinburgh bid? Nonsense. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

So the whole thing should have been done behind closed doors meaning Edinburgh wouldn’t have the opportunity to demonstrate the support from fans and the community? You think someone who was looking to build industrial units in the area was only alerted to the availability of the land because of the Edinburgh bid? Nonsense. 

You have to feel the the Council led the consortium on a little bit.( just my opinion)they knew the situation the Club was in.Edinburgh did make it clear that there was a chance this could happen but thought the Council would look on their bid favourable as it was Industrial land and it was a Community Project in the Long term.

• Like 2

Is there no way of a short term reprieve for Armadale? 

Could be a lot of planned developments delayed in the next few months due to cost of living crisis, affecting business and also the prospective housing markets, if people can't get or afford mortgages then house building will slow down. 

2024 seems a lot more practical than 2023 in terms of new stadium

38 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

You have to feel the the Council led the consortium on a little bit.( just my opinion)they knew the situation the Club was in.Edinburgh did make it clear that there was a chance this could happen but thought the Council would look on their bid favourable as it was Industrial land and it was a Community Project in the Long term.

Every chance but I don’t feel the Edinburgh promotion could have gone about the whole bid entirely behind closed doors. 

7 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

Every chance but I don’t feel the Edinburgh promotion could have gone about the whole bid entirely behind closed doors. 

I agree don’t think Edinburgh done anything wrong,they were trying to raise interest( and possibly money) for the project.So sad ,as it looked a great long term answer.

• Like 1

Mixed thoughts on this.

Part of me is thinking the Council are correct to look after the area's interests as they see fit. I read about how they put the land up for sale for Monarchs to buy and yet it was mentioned the club was more likely looking at a lease purchase. A bit of a difference in terms of incoming cash flow for WLC. If Monarchs couldn't raise the funds to buy outright, why shouldn't the Council sell it to another party who apparently can?

Meanwhile, another part of me is thinking, I guess that's what happens when people vote Labour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Again you’re talking nonsense. The council have been actively helping the club over the last year trying to find land that would be suitable this area was found. It was then put on the market for the club to purchase. There was only ever one other bidder. The gentleman who they when I say they I Mean the Labour Party gave it too.

The reason the club made it public was to drum up more funds for the project and so everyone could make their community and the council aware of what good things the club had planned for the area. 

when the meeting happened yesterday all the other agendas were public for viewing but when it came to the speedway agenda it went private and then when finished become public again for the next one. All other parties at the meeting were in favour of the monarchs apart from the leaders of the group which being the Labour Party. All other parties asked for this to be appealed and looked at again but it was waved away by the muppets in charge. 

Edited by Mr Blobby

with councils losing  so much money with budget cuts everywhere they were always going to go for the highest bidder i wonder what was the difference between bids i think they should have tried everything to buy Armadale everything in place there just do it up over next few years surely not much difference in the price between buying it and building a new one from scratch but heard they have burnt there bridges with the owners