British Speedway Forum

Edinburgh - new home required….

31 minutes ago, King Jamie said:

Mixed thoughts on this.

Part of me is thinking the Council are correct to look after the area's interests as they see fit. I read about how they put the land up for sale for Monarchs to buy and yet it was mentioned the club was more likely looking at a lease purchase. A bit of a difference in terms of incoming cash flow for WLC. If Monarchs couldn't raise the funds to buy outright, why shouldn't the Council sell it to another party who apparently can?

Meanwhile, another part of me is thinking, I guess that's what happens when people vote Labour.

Our offer was to buy the land outright.

Edited by Mr Blobby

5 minutes ago, mac101 said:

with councils losing  so much money with budget cuts everywhere they were always going to go for the highest bidder i wonder what was the difference between bids i think they should have tried everything to buy Armadale everything in place there just do it up over next few years surely not much difference in the price between buying it and building a new one from scratch but heard they have burnt there bridges with the owners 

The bid isn’t about who bid the most. There’s a point scoring system as well for things like what it’s for what it does for the community etc. which then gets transferred into cash. But of course it’s not real money. 

very short sighted view by powers at be imo.

Gutted at hearing this news,  I was under the impression this was signed and sealed the way they were talking earlier in the year... seems about as watertight as Birmingham's "verbal" agreement they have with their landlords for next year!

Edited by iainb

28 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

The bid isn’t about who bid the most. There’s a point scoring system as well for things like what it’s for what it does for the community etc. which then gets transferred into cash. But of course it’s not real money. 

very short sighted view by powers at be imo.

end of the day it’s all about money nothing else 

2 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

I wouldn’t be against that tbh.

Would probably suit both parties in the short term, we get an income from rent you keep things ticking over and gives some breathing space.

Benefits both sides and shouldn’t be that difficult to agree.

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

Again you’re talking nonsense. The council have been actively helping the club over the last year trying to find land that would be suitable this area was found. It was then put on the market for the club to purchase. There was only ever one other bidder. The gentleman who they when I say they I Mean the Labour Party gave it too.

The reason the club made it public was to drum up more funds for the project and so everyone could make their community and the council aware of what good things the club had planned for the area. 

when the meeting happened yesterday all the other agendas were public for viewing but when it came to the speedway agenda it went private and then when finished become public again for the next one. All other parties at the meeting were in favour of the monarchs apart from the leaders of the group which being the Labour Party. All other parties asked for this to be appealed and looked at again but it was waved away by the muppets in charge. 

You appear to be fixated with the fact that it's a Labour council. 

Does that have anything to do with it?

Decisions made, irrespective of the political persuasion of those making the decision.

BTW I'm not a Labour voter.

3 hours ago, Gazc said:

A ground share with Glasgow for one season is that a possibility?.

Not ideal but needs must.

3 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

I wouldn’t be against that tbh.

I guess there’s all sorts of questions around financial viability and how many people would turn up, but I’d certainly make an effort to be there as often as possible if there was such an arrangement. The other issue with Ashfield is we can’t accommodate a training track, as the centre green is a football field. Same issue at Berwick, if anyone was considering that.

It would be a real shame if Edinburgh couldn’t run, not least because that’s a loss to both the Championship and the NDL.

1 hour ago, Joseq7 said:

You appear to be fixated with the fact that it's a Labour council. 

Does that have anything to do with it?

Decisions made, irrespective of the political persuasion of those making the decision.

BTW I'm not a Labour voter.

The committee has members from all parties majority of seats are those of Labour. Everyone else bar them voted for the speedway.  

3 minutes ago, JamesHarris said:

Is this a simple lesson in don't announce publicly you are going to build a new stadium until it has been officially signed off? A clear case of McEgg on the Edinburgh promoters faces. 

I’ll repeat like I said earlier. They announced the plans of what they were going to do if they got it. The club have never once said they have the land. 
Again it was announced to drum up interest and extra funds for the project. Unfortunately the council choose a different bidder. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gazc said:

A ground share with Glasgow for one season is that a possibility?.

Not ideal but needs must.

1996 at Shawfield, the company made a loss of £60K (or perhaps £66K, can't remember). The impact of that is still obvious in the balance sheet even now.

Granted it was one big league at the time and hopefully any potential repeat wouldn't incur quite so much financial damage but I'm not convinced it would be first choice among the directors.

As you say though, needs must.

1 minute ago, King Jamie said:

1996 at Shawfield, the company made a loss of £60K (or perhaps £66K, can't remember). The impact of that is still obvious in the balance sheet even now.

Granted it was one big league at the time and hopefully any potential repeat wouldn't incur quite so much financial damage but I'm not convinced it would be first choice among the directors.

As you say though, needs must.

Once bitten, twice shy..

Not sure the Monarchs would go West again given current financial plight, given the past “ experiment”

What day would they run? Fridays spoken for. How many would travel? Some Monarchs fans have not returned to Ashfield since 2015, would that change? 
With uncertainty , riders liable to look elsewhere for security in 2023, than risk losing out on getting fixed up. 
Would all sponsors stay loyal? 
Maybe a year or 2 out is inevitable. 

Sadly this does not come as a surprise to me.  As soon as they went public with their plans, I felt that they had jumped the gun in terms of leading Monarchs fans to think that it was in the bag.  I feel very sad for the Monarchs fans, but less sympathetic towards their promotion and officials for making rather rash and bold statements that they've not been able to keep (regardless of whether they've been let down by the council or not).

Sadly,  its another club that appears to be heading for the wilderness.

Edited by MattB
  • Like 2