British Speedway Forum

Nigel Pearson RIP

If somebody who was not a fan takes the trouble to acknowledge how much Nigel did for the sport, how much he'll be missed and what a great tragedy his passing is, then that is a tribute made all that more sincere by indicating where it is coming from.

• Like 7

On 4/20/2022 at 2:31 PM, chunky said:

You think it's weird that a wonderful person dies, they deserve respect? That's what's wrong with the world today! Who cares if you didn't like their style of commentary?

I don't think Ray is being disrespectful in making a what he thinks is a valid point. 

I also think that if someone dies that you don't respect or like for whatever reason, justified or not in the opinion of the majority, that the most respectful reply is to say nothing at all. 

Thats all I have to say on the topic. 

• Like 3

Very good to see so many clubs paying their respects in different ways.  Belle Vue did a brilliant job on Monday with silence followed by applause with commentary played over (believe Birmingham did the same as well), a clearly distraught Porky talking openly about his friendship with Nigel at Monmore, and Kings Lynn placing a pint of Guinness on the start line during their tribute yesterday.

Such a shame Oxford decided to have one that lasted seconds and was ruined by Peter York continuing to talk over it

• Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 7:14 PM, keepturningleft said:

Reflecting on this now having absorbed all the tributes and comments, it's clear that speedway, in the modern age, has lost its greatest ever promoter.

I can't recall such an outpouring of grief and admiration for someone involved in speedway who wasn't a rider.

Nigel spent years promoting nothing but positivity in so many aspects of speedway that his contributions were quite extraordinary and surely without precedent. Crikey, he even ghost wrote Kelvin's recent book(s)!

This really is a case of you don't know what you've got until its gone.

A truly tragic loss.

this is a great 'angle' (re promotion of the sport). Nigel promoted the sport in many different ways through his media work as well as helping out at many tracks ( centre green mic man ,program columns etc) , all this (i imagine) would have been 'for the love of the sport' (rather than paid) and at the 'expense' of time with his family. his loss will  be felt more than we (on the outside) know. RIP Nige . 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...