British Speedway Forum

Premiership Pairs

9 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

I still wouldn't if I were you

Would have looked better not running it at all imo...

Are Leicester going to make all of the gate profits on a meeting that they have no riders to pay in? And Sheffield are going to make no gate profits on a meeting that should have been at their home track...? Stinks

Why is it not being held at Sheffield?? Because the stadium is not available?  Because they don't want to run it? I haven't a clue ......

3 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Ah tress somehow managing to defend the shambles that is British speedway. 

A pairs competition that they can't complete, a season opening league cup with the final in October & the league championship decided via a play off system. Even though there are two remaining league fixtures to run, one of which could have changed who finished 1st & 2nd & therefore who faced who in the semi finals & therefore who was in the final to decide the championship.

But yes tress there ain't much wrong!

All I know is the stadium availability at Sheffield has been poor this season ....

2 hours ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Still just making excuses for incompetence.  If Sheffield can't stage 16 home fixtures in seven months, that's a major problem.

And if Sheffield (or any club with landlords) have issues with dates at any times of the season then surely they should have held their rounds when dates were available?

If October was an issue then maybe they should have gone first? 

The Premiership Pairs which had the potential to be a good competition was heralded as "Giving fans what they want" via more variety...

Maybe they should have added, "Giving fans what they want, but not necessarily  at the tracks that they want it"... :rolleyes:

Eric Morecombe would have been proud...:D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wtf said:

BSPL Meeting, gate receipts to them, BSPL pay the prize money, so makes no difference. Any incidental income/expenses for the clubs involved? They have the same Owners, so I hardly think anyone is going to lose as much sleep over the change of venue as you are

100% get all that from the logistical angle...

However...

It is yet another situation where those who run the competitions completely devalue their own output...

If anyone really took it seriously then Sheffield would not be happy that each other team had home advantage and they didn't...

Instead we have another "make do and mend" which is absolutely fine, just as long as the promoters understand why many loyal fans of the sport then decide to give many meetings a season a miss...

As. If those who organise competitions don't take them seriously, then why should the fans? 

Season on season the same nonsense is allowed to pervade...

Which is a shame given the raw material to work with...

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, mikebv said:

100% get all that from the logistical angle...

However...

It is yet another situation where those who run the competitions completely devalue their own output...

If anyone really took it seriously then Sheffield would not be happy that each other team had home advantage and they didn't...

Instead we have another "make do and mend" which is absolutely fine, just as long as the promoters understand why many loyal fans of the sport then decide to give many meetings a season a miss...

As. If those who organise competitions don't take them seriously, then why should the fans? 

Season on season the same nonsense is allowed to pervade...

Which is a shame given the raw material to work with...

Mate, It's a bit of sport, it's a bit of entertainment, It's not Russia Vs Ukraine, no one is dying in the streets. Stop getting so het up about the integrity of this or that. If you enjoy watching the sport, go watch it,if you don't, then don't, but sometimes it looks like people just live a weird life on here moaning about everything.

Let the promoters get it wrong, it's their right to if they want to, they own the business. But if all you are going to do is get wound up about everything other people do that you think is wrong, you're going to spend a lot of your life being disappointed and angry at the world. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, wtf said:

Mate, It's a bit of sport, it's a bit of entertainment, It's not Russia Vs Ukraine, no one is dying in the streets. Stop getting so het up about the integrity of this or that. If you enjoy watching the sport, go watch it,if you don't, then don't, but sometimes it looks like people just live a weird life on here moaning about everything.

Let the promoters get it wrong, it's their right to if they want to, they own the business. But if all you are going to do is get wound up about everything other people do that you think is wrong, you're going to spend a lot of your life being disappointed and angry at the world. 

I think it is that those "involved" behind the scenes in some way, see it for what it is,  ie mainly about riders making money, and sponsors having a hobby who maybe could get some reflected glory and/or satisfaction in helping riders..

And nothing more than that really..

For those who follow the sport it is often about frustration in seeing "what could be"...

As I say, a shame given the on track raw material that the sport has to play with...

You only have to look at Poland as to how exactly the same sport, featuring many of the same riders, has been developed to become "The place to be", and financially hugely successful for those who take the risks when they ride...

I suppose though that the "make it up as you go along" operating model that the UK uses, is "good enough" for riders and personal and local company team sponsors to keep up their livelihoods and interest respectively...

Which ultimately keeps the sport going in the UK at least...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

So are Sheffield going back to the Championship with more flexibility of race nights?  They only went Premiership to replace Poole at the time so with Leicester going Prem and Master Bates saying on the podcast there will be 6 Prem teams......................?

Sheffield went into the Premiership because they couldn't make Sunday work so it was the only way they could move back to their traditional race night. In the same way Thursday didn't work for Poole. I haven't heard this podcast but was it before Leicester made their announcement?

On a more general note, Sheffield have no stadium availability this month so Leicester are stepping in at the eleventh hour and good for them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tocha said:

Sheffield went into the Premiership because they couldn't make Sunday work so it was the only way they could move back to their traditional race night. In the same way Thursday didn't work for Poole. I haven't heard this podcast but was it before Leicester made their announcement?

On a more general note, Sheffield have no stadium availability this month so Leicester are stepping in at the eleventh hour and good for them. 

It was a question? I havent heard the podcast either - I believe its the official SpeedwayGB podcast thats been referred to by several.

Sheffield and Leicester have the same family owners so it's sensible if one can assist the other.

Poole asked their fans for their preferred racenight. Have the Bates done the same at either Owlerton or Leicester about their preferred league/racenight?

Edited by Skidder1

1 hour ago, tocha said:

There's the answer right there!

3 hours ago, wtf said:

For the people who can just rock up on a race night however infrequent they are and just enjoy the racing and not worry about anything else that's great, and in a way I envy them. But there are plenty of others (many of whom I expect have walked away) who ned there to be integrity, rules to be written and followed properly, for there to be a regular, almost habit forming fixture list; for there to be no guests, for the promoters to at least appear that they give a toss.

The most important people of all are those who pay to get into a speedway or pay for a stream, without them speedway doesn't happen and riders don't have a career here. It's about time those who need integrity and a well run sport were given what they want, the other lot will turn up and enjoy it regardless. There can be a lot of negativity on here I grant you, but it's because people care and get frustrated by the garbage administration of it all. Its very difficult not to look at Poland and be envious.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

For the people who can just rock up on a race night however infrequent they are and just enjoy the racing and not worry about anything else that's great, and in a way I envy them. But there are plenty of others (many of whom I expect have walked away) who ned there to be integrity, rules to be written and followed properly, for there to be a regular, almost habit forming fixture list; for there to be no guests, for the promoters to at least appear that they give a toss.

The most important people of all are those who pay to get into a speedway or pay for a stream, without them speedway doesn't happen and riders don't have a career here. It's about time those who need integrity and a well run sport were given what they want, the other lot will turn up and enjoy it regardless. There can be a lot of negativity on here I grant you, but it's because people care and get frustrated by the garbage administration of it all. Its very difficult not to look at Poland and be envious.

I totally get what you say, and agree completely that speedway in the UK is operated INSPITE of the people who run it, not because of. In general, they are clueless, corrupt, and I despise 90% of them. But they own the business model, it's theirs's to do what they want with. They play like most sports, on the fact that Fans feel some connection, when in truth they are just customers of a product, who in general will suffer all kinds of ill treatment before finally giving up their affection for a brand

In my youth, I used to think that many professions had integrity and honour. Politicians, Police, Teachers, Solicitors, Accountants, to name just a few. I now know that's not the case, so my life has fewer disappointments. I no longer expect anything other than to be lied to, I just now look for a few "good" people amongst a sea of distinctly "average" or "bad" people.

It's just a shame like you say, because speedway "could" be so much better than it is. But sometimes this place just becomes a centre of excellence for moaning. :rofl: Just when you thought you were fed up with the sport, someone else pops up and suggests something else to moan about. :D

Edited by wtf
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Poland have no problems to overcome Baggy, it's a piece of cake to promote over there!  I'd like to see what they'd do with the restrictions our promoters have to work with, be it track, stadium availability, lack of riders, fixture list that has to fit in with every man and his dog, lack of sponsorship, lack of televised coverage, lack of paying fans etc etc.  Basically they've got speedway like we had here in the 50s, 60s and 70s!

Edited by Trees
  • Like 1

Lack of TV coverage? It was on the biggest sports platforms in Britain for over 20 years,, sky sports,,, then on to BT sports... It hasn't not been on TV for almost 30 years. 

Instead of investing that TV money wisely,,, they wasted it. Speedway was given the perfect opportunity for all those years,, 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Trees said:

Poland have no problems to overcome Baggy, it's a piece of cake to promote over there!  I'd like to see what they'd do with the restrictions our promoters have to work with, be it track, stadium availability, lack of riders, fixture list that has to fit in with every man and his dog, lack of sponsorship, lack of televised coverage, lack of paying fans etc etc.  Basically they've got speedway like we had here in the 50s, 60s and 70s!

They've built their league into what it is now whereas we've done the opposite and run ours down. Maybe they do have less restrictions but there is so, so much more that could be done with British speedway. Just need to find the right person or people to rip it up and start again.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Trees said:

Poland's biggest advantage is the fact they have seen how the UK has ran things from their own "halcyon days"...

And therefore 1 million percent avoid doing the same..

Hence, for example,  they ensure every team has to have a strong Polish presence...

They may be training up the riders from other countries via the U23 league to ensure they have enough quality riders to maintain those high standards, but they haven't taken their eye off the ball to allow the national team to fall behind, because they know how important  national success is to selling the domestic product... 

We decided in the late 70's and early 80's to spend the best part of the next four decades training up 'the world', with very much quantity rather than quality often being the key determinant of who came over...

Unfortunately to the detriment of the UK riders, and it's media coverage, as the national team became also rans...

Poland has lots of advantages because they seem to know what they are doing, and where they want to take their sport...

Maybe one day the UK also could have a clear strategy for growth? 

15 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Poland's biggest advantage is the fact they have seen how the UK has ran things from their own "halcyon days"...

And therefore 1 million percent avoid doing the same..

Hence, for example,  they ensure every team has to have a strong Polish presence...

They may be training up the riders from other countries via the U23 league to ensure they have enough quality riders to maintain those high standards, but they haven't taken their eye off the ball to allow the national team to fall behind, because they know how important  national success is to selling the domestic product... 

We decided in the late 70's and early 80's to spend the best part of the next four decades training up 'the world', with very much quantity rather than quality often being the key determinant of who came over...

Unfortunately to the detriment of the UK riders, and it's media coverage, as the national team became also rans...

Poland has lots of advantages because they seem to know what they are doing, and where they want to take their sport...

Maybe one day the UK also could have a clear strategy for growth? 

Poland has lots of advantages like all their purpose-built Stadia being built and funded by national utility Companies and local/regional/state councils, giving teams and riders 100% free choice as to practice and race days.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Diamonds85 said:

I still wouldn't if I were you

If I'm not going to see a decent race when the heats involve the likes of Doyle, Musielak & Harris   I'll never. @ least I can support Belle Vue and any team facing the Witches.

12 hours ago, mikebv said:

The Premiership Pairs which had the potential to be a good competition was heralded as "Giving fans what they want" via more variety...

It is a good idea.  When else can a fan see Doyle v Harris at Monmore or Fricke v Ellis at EoESg or King v Becker at Owlerton.

Great idea, poorly executed.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

They've built their league into what it is now whereas we've done the opposite and run ours down. Maybe they do have less restrictions but there is so, so much more that could be done with British speedway. Just need to find the right person or people to rip it up and start again.

Right person with a shed full of money? Hmmmmmm