British Speedway Forum

Oxford back Are there any chance of other defunct tracks returning

Never , maybe , expected , planned , never , never , never

3 hours ago, mickthemuppet said:

Now Oxford are back what are the chances of other tracks returning like Coventry, Bradford, Swindon, Workington, Exeter, Arena Essex or even Reading

• Like 1

Yes, now looking a lot more hopeful for Swindon in 23 from what I have seen. Workington at Northside might have a few open meetings this year. I know people who were involved with Lakeside are seeking the council's help in getting a new track - it would be called Thurrock (Lakeside is a shopping centre and nothing else). Not on your list, it was said there might be a few open meetings later this year at Eastbourne but not seen anything from Sussex for some time. I'm not sure if it was the new people who talked about open meetings or maybe fans hoping. We can but hope for these tracks to come back.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mickthemuppet said:

Now Oxford are back what are the chances of other tracks returning like Coventry, Bradford, Swindon, Workington, Exeter, Arena Essex or even Reading

You forgot Sunderland.

21 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

in the current economic climate?, about as much chance as me being elected Pope.

Thank you your Holiness.

19 hours ago, noaksey said:

Be interesting to see how things go for Oxford. 

If it's a success over a couple of seasons that may encourage people elsewhere 

Let's hope so.

18 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Never , maybe , expected , planned , never , never , never

Fingers crossed.

Edited by The White Knight
Forgot to mention something.

4 hours ago, FromBendThree said:

Yes, now looking a lot more hopeful for Swindon in 23 from what I have seen. Workington at Northside might have a few open meetings this year. I know people who were involved with Lakeside are seeking the council's help in getting a new track - it would be called Thurrock (Lakeside is a shopping centre and nothing else). Not on your list, it was said there might be a few open meetings later this year at Eastbourne but not seen anything from Sussex for some time. I'm not sure if it was the new people who talked about open meetings or maybe fans hoping. We can but hope for these tracks to come back.

A lot going on in the background, hurdles to jump and finance to place but its being worked on and more than hopeful for 2023

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bruno said:

Sorry to be a doom monger but even if just 4 if these tracks open up which is a strong possibility that needs another 28 riders from somewhere . Even with doubling down don't think there's enough out there

There will be a lot to factor into 2023, league structures, availability of riders, too soon to speculate about that just yet..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bruno said:

Sorry to be a doom monger but even if just 4 if these tracks open up which is a strong possibility that needs another 28 riders from somewhere . Even with doubling down don't think there's enough out there

Div 2 in particular would need to drop its 'strength' and include far more Div 3 riders. Wouldn't bother me - I love watching up and comers. To be honest the main issue the sport has is costs. I don't know enough to say how bikes could be cheaper but somebody must. For me the day they allowed 4 valvers was the thin end of the wedge.

If D1 riders can make a living by reducing costs we can put an end to the ludicrous DU/DD situation and charge less to get in to reposition the sport in the leisure market where it belongs - 12/13 quid. Puts on tin hat

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, M.D said:

There will be a lot to factor into 2023, league structures, availability of riders, too soon to speculate about that just yet..

There are just the early signs that Poland may relax their rules next year and we could see more riders back in the UK. Who knows how that will shake out but we have to hope that it will be good for the sport in the UK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ch958 said:

Div 2 in particular would need to drop its 'strength' and include far more Div 3 riders. Wouldn't bother me - I love watching up and comers. To be honest the main issue the sport has is costs. I don't know enough to say how bikes could be cheaper but somebody must. For me the day they allowed 4 valvers was the thin end of the wedge.

If D1 riders can make a living by reducing costs we can put an end to the ludicrous DU/DD situation and charge less to get in to reposition the sport in the leisure market where it belongs - 12/13 quid. Puts on tin hat

That was the Rudge in 1929 then.

2 hours ago, ch958 said:

100% re Div 2....

Best of both worlds currently, loads of Div 1 riders and the best of Div 3, and can ride on any night of the week, except Monday and Thursday, using the weekends which is a key time for the entertainment industry..

Standardised engines are for me one of the two major ways to reduce costs...

The other (less popular I am sure), being "just pay less" to semi pro riders...

Use standardised engines for league racing, sealed units, and similar to F1, any replacement parts must be itemised and records kept of each key part within the machine...

Any changes can be viewed on Zoom, Skype etc and signed off by scrutineers watching, and then confirmed as still legal at the next meeting when the riders arrive with the bike..

Two basic GM bikes and machines per rider is what? £10k? 

And if any rider wants to compete at international level then they can do this using whatever level of machinery they wish to do so...

Meaning, if they want to spend £30k (and often well above) on machinery replacing a box standard bike with best clutch, best carbs, best handlebars, best furry dice etc etc, to pursue individual dreams (which has very little in the way of positive impact to crowds at club level), then they can, but this kit wont be allowed to be used in domestic Speedway...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bruno said:

That's the $64,000 question 

Oxford would have struggled for a team this year if Kent had continued 

1 hour ago, noaksey said:

That's the $64,000 question 

Oxford would have struggled for a team this year if Kent had continued 

Yet it's hardly unfathomable is it. At the end of each season you have a fair idea of how many riders will be available next season. Once you know how many teams are in the league you then know if there are enough existing riders to supply those teams or how many new riders need to be found, assume 2.00 pointers. Then you add up all those averages of the required/expected rider pool and divide by the number of teams. Then you have a points limit which helps all teams build equally. Not an exact science but better than having teams fielding teams under the points limit from the outset.

The masses will complain that the product is weakened but what's better a league of 10 or a league of 14? Where all the teams have a chance of being equally matched?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, enotian said:

Yet it's hardly unfathomable is it. At the end of each season you have a fair idea of how many riders will be available next season. Once you know how many teams are in the league you then know if there are enough existing riders to supply those teams or how many new riders need to be found, assume 2.00 pointers. Then you add up all those averages of the required/expected rider pool and divide by the number of teams. Then you have a points limit which helps all teams build equally. Not an exact science but better than having teams fielding teams under the points limit from the outset.

The masses will complain that the product is weakened but what's better a league of 10 or a league of 14? Where all the teams have a chance of being equally matched?

Some good ideas

The problem is and will be top end strength at div 2 level, I feel this is where some form of regulation needs to be in order to have a competitive league 

2 hours ago, M.D said:

Some good ideas

The problem is and will be top end strength at div 2 level, I feel this is where some form of regulation needs to be in order to have a competitive league 

Every league could have the same...

If every rider was listed on here and you had to grade them one to seven, and put ten riders in each grade, I am 100% sure that the vast majority on here would agree on around 90% of the riders with the other 10% being a close call within two grades...

Therefore, why not do the same when compiling the teams?

One rider from each grade per team...

Still use rider's averages, and keep a mean average maximum team points total to ensure no team can pick the best riders from each grade..,

• Like 2