British Speedway Forum

Championship Streaming Channel

It could be a good thing, or it could be a bad thing...I'm not sure.

Anyone remember the Bet365 streaming service from a couple of years ago? That didn't last long did it?

I assume this one will be paid for on a pay-per-view basis? So where does the money go? Is there a BSPZzz oligarch who will be trousering 40% of revenues again, like with the Sky Sports deal, or is this genuinely for the benefit of the Championship clubs and they will get a fair share of the revenue?  Questions need answering.

And how long before the "usual suspects" on BSF start distributing the links to the streams like what happens with Polish and Swedish speedway matches, meaning that all the "genuine fans" belonging to BSF will opt for the "free" links rather than spending their money on the subscriptions that will fund the sport?

Suppose for a minute, someone decides to subscribe to a meeting...and invites a gang of his mates around to have a "watch the speedway party"...bring your own food and booze, etc...how will that one subscription compensate for a whole gaggle of people who now won't be paying their admission on the door because they can watch the racing on TV, and not have to pay stadium prices on food and drink, and of course they can download their own race cards off BSF too, so they won't need a/several programmes?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

Suppose for a minute, someone decides to subscribe to a meeting...and invites a gang of his mates around to have a "watch the speedway party"...bring your own food and booze, etc...how will that one subscription compensate for a whole gaggle of people who now won't be paying their admission on the door because they can watch the racing on TV, and not have to pay stadium prices on food and drink, and of course they can download their own race cards off BSF too, so they won't need a/several programmes?

Conversely, Suppose for a minute, someone decides to subscribe to an away meeting…and invites a gang of his mates around to have a “watch the speedway party” …. Bring your own food and booze, etc.. a few of whom have never been to a track before…  but after watching decide to join his mate at their local track.  It can work both ways.

You can either sit back and do nothing “out of fear” or try something new. The sit back and do nothing approach hasn’t worked so far, so I applaud this new venture and hope it provides a catalyst to grow the sport.

• Like 7

when you reg with the streams and put in yer details  bank stuff n post code . you will have to be a certain distance  from the track that will be streaming the event . Glasgow/Edinburgh done this  i   believe , so no impact on the gate  . i i streamed a few fra Glasgow and Edinburgh . the Ashfield ones were the best , where as the Edinburgh ones were were 1990s quality . OOPPSS :shock:

4 hours ago, jenga said:

when you reg with the streams and put in yer details  bank stuff n post code . you will have to be a certain distance  from the track that will be streaming the event . Glasgow/Edinburgh done this  i   believe , so no impact on the gate  . i i streamed a few fra Glasgow and Edinburgh . the Ashfield ones were the best , where as the Edinburgh ones were were 1990s quality . OOPPSS :shock:

VPN

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jenga said:

You can VPN to get around that but that isn't what is being offered anyway.

Based on the press release it's a subscription (annual/monthly?) for 30+ matches in total streamed from all of the tracks.  With 11 teams that's only 2 or 3 matches from any one track.  So 2 or 3 home matches which clubs might notice reduced gate receipts.  Worth the risk if the income generated from the subscriptions exceeds those potential losses. There are a number of ways that the subscription income could be split and presumably each promoter has agreed to the method.

Presumably each team will feature in a similar number of away fixtures to make the subscription equally attractive to all 11 clubs supporters and I guess it will be more like Newcastle at Plymouth than streaming a local derby to protect gate receipts.

So it does look like they're trying to minimise the impact on gate receipts. I hope it's a great success, the pricing will of course be critical in determining if it is.  Bearing in mind there might be a few subscriptions required next season if you want to follow all televised speedway. 

• Like 1

i would rather pay for the stream and support this offer of watching UK speedway 

the danish , and other variation of speedway meetings abroad  do not interest me at all  , but thanks anyway .

lets hope it isnt too overpriced .

Edited by jenga

5 hours ago, jenga said:

lets hope it isnt too overpriced .

They stand no chance of fulfilling that desire. If it's set at £15 people will say it's only worth £10. If it's set at £10, people will complain that it isn't worth more than £5. A no-win situation. 

I think that they are hoping to create a core of viewers who will subscribe to all the meetings being shown and making their money that way, rather than hoping that 10 or 12 people will be interested enough in an away meeting that they will pay-as-they-go. 

How does this postcode recognition work? Do people who are within a given distance get charged the same price for the stream as they would at the gate to deter the lazy stay-at-homes, and those from a distance away get it cheaper? What technology prevents illegal rebroadcasts per what happens with Polish & Swedish TV streams?

On 1/29/2022 at 12:44 PM, pvm said:

Conversely, Suppose for a minute, someone decides to subscribe to an away meeting…and invites a gang of his mates around to have a “watch the speedway party” …. Bring your own food and booze, etc.. a few of whom have never been to a track before…  but after watching decide to join his mate at their local track.  It can work both ways.

You can either sit back and do nothing “out of fear” or try something new. The sit back and do nothing approach hasn’t worked so far, so I applaud this new venture and hope it provides a catalyst to grow the sport.

Spot on...

If it doesn't work then sack it....

But at least try..

5 hours ago, uk_martin said:

They stand no chance of fulfilling that desire. If it's set at £15 people will say it's only worth £10. If it's set at £10, people will complain that it isn't worth more than £5. A no-win situation. 

I think that they are hoping to create a core of viewers who will subscribe to all the meetings being shown and making their money that way, rather than hoping that 10 or 12 people will be interested enough in an away meeting that they will pay-as-they-go. 

How does this postcode recognition work? Do people who are within a given distance get charged the same price for the stream as they would at the gate to deter the lazy stay-at-homes, and those from a distance away get it cheaper? What technology prevents illegal rebroadcasts per what happens with Polish & Swedish TV streams?

price wise , people will always want it cheaper , whatever the product .

i for one would use the stream .the post code thing . that is something the Edinburgh promo did  . ask a monarch/Glasgow fan on here  . allowing away fans and people like myself to follow a meeting where their team or some other teams were involved in . the monarchs promo had a certain  milage from the track to your house .your post code told them your location . i dont see a problem with this stream .

its like workington fans wanting to stream a northside meeting lol .

do you get it now ? DOH 

you know its for the greater good . 

Edited by jenga

On 1/29/2022 at 12:44 PM, pvm said:

you have just saved  bo jo s   job @ number 10 . it was a speedway meeting he was streaming !

Edited by jenga

We paid for the Glasgow v Poole 1st leg of the play off final think I paid £11-95 it was well worth the money - we live near Kings Lynn we was never going to attend this meeting but through streaming the Glasgow promotion gained £11-95 from us that has to be a positive and raise more income - now if I lived in Glasgow and normally attended there meetings the promotion lost money on me watching the stream  but I’d have thought swings and roundabouts it work out in the home promotion favour over all .

3 minutes ago, Haza said:

We paid for the Glasgow v Poole 1st leg of the play off final think I paid £11-95 it was well worth the money - we live near Kings Lynn we was never going to attend this meeting but through streaming the Glasgow promotion gained £11-95 from us that has to be a positive and raise more income - now if I lived in Glasgow and normally attended there meetings the promotion lost money on me watching the stream  but I’d have thought swings and roundabouts it work out in the home promotion favour over all .

Think the majority of speedway fans that’s left would probably still go to home meeting even if it was being streamed.I know I would.

9 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Think the majority of speedway fans that’s left would probably still go to home meeting even if it was being streamed.I know I would.

Exactly- the only time it may affect attendances I think if the weather was iffy - fans might stay at home then . 

6 hours ago, uk_martin said:

I'm not sure if there is a PPV option available.  At least the press release referred to a subscription basis but it wouldn't be the first time a press release didn't provide all the information.

If it's solely a subscription basis it doesn't matter where you're located.  It's no different to any other broadcaster you pay to watch, i.e. Discovery Sports.  You pay for their service if you want to watch the content they provide. The broadcaster doesn't mind where you are from because they don't sell tickets to the live event anyway.

Where a club is making all of their matches available to stream either on a subscription or PPV they want to protect their attendance figures to maximise income, on the basis that the streaming price is likely less than the ticket price to attend in person.  Therefore the streams are often restricted to users whose IP address is outside of the region in which the club derives its home crowd. I don't know how the technology works but as I understand it everyone's IP address is attached to a region and the host site will block any attempted connection from any restricted region. Using a VPN cloaks your IP address so that it appears to be from a region which isn't restricted.

In terms of technology to prevent illegal re-broadcasts I think it's down to the broadcaster to monitor and enforce the law to block those streams.  With regard to Polish and Swedish streams being made available to British audiences I don't think it results in any (or minimal) lost income to those broadcasters who have the right to broadcast those fixtures in the UK. In some cases the illegal streams probably aren't being broadcast in the UK anyway. Ultimately it's down to the broadcaster to protect their rights.

I would imagine (and hope) that the BSPL will do exactly that should streams of Championship matches be made available for free illegally.

Edited by enotian

40 minutes ago, Haza said:

Exactly- the only time it may affect attendances I think if the weather was iffy - fans might stay at home then . 

And that could actually be when the stream comes into its own...

Without it, at the moment those type of meetings with iffy weather get zero income from the 'stayaways'...

Maybe with a stream these people will still contribute some money...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Haza said:

and remember, excluding play offs, it looks like it's only two/three of each clubs home fixtures which will be made available.  And if you've subscribed for the full season they've already had more money out of you than they would have anyway so the risk of missing ticket sales for two/three matches is worth the risk of generating new income from those who physically couldn't attend.

of course making the attending live product much better than the televised version will also help. after the last two years I think we all value shared experiences much more. One of the problems with speedway on TV is that the speed, sound and smell can't be conveyed fully to do it justice.  That's not dissimilar to most stadia based sports.  Attending in person is always a better experience.  But how much better is attending a live speedway meeting? 

1 hour ago, enotian said:

I'm not sure if there is a PPV option available.  At least the press release referred to a subscription basis but it wouldn't be the first time a press release didn't provide all the information.

If it's solely a subscription basis it doesn't matter where you're located.  It's no different to any other broadcaster you pay to watch, i.e. Discovery Sports.  You pay for their service if you want to watch the content they provide. The broadcaster doesn't mind where you are from because they don't sell tickets to the live event anyway.

Where a club is making all of their matches available to stream either on a subscription or PPV they want to protect their attendance figures to maximise income, on the basis that the streaming price is likely less than the ticket price to attend in person.  Therefore the streams are often restricted to users whose IP address is outside of the region in which the club derives its home crowd. I don't know how the technology works but as I understand it everyone's IP address is attached to a region and the host site will block any attempted connection from any restricted region. Using a VPN cloaks your IP address so that it appears to be from a region which isn't restricted.

In terms of technology to prevent illegal re-broadcasts I think it's down to the broadcaster to monitor and enforce the law to block those streams.  With regard to Polish and Swedish streams being made available to British audiences I don't think it results in any (or minimal) lost income to those broadcasters who have the right to broadcast those fixtures in the UK. In some cases the illegal streams probably aren't being broadcast in the UK anyway. Ultimately it's down to the broadcaster to protect their rights.

I would imagine (and hope) that the BSPL will do exactly that should streams of Championship matches be made available for free illegally.

I would imagine there is little chance of any Championship PPV/Subscription match being available on a stream - certainly i didn`t see any notification of Edinburgh or Glasgow streams being available to watch unless purchased. 

As far as Sweden and Poland go- if Premier Sport weren`t such a tin pot organisation, only showing some of the matches and then not all  live maybe more people would be happier to take out a Subscription.

All Polish Speedway streams are available outside Poland) Div 2 on Motowizja was problematic on occasions), although not all streamers make them available   to everyone.

I once again in 2022 will be taking out a Fanseat subscription which allows me to watch every Swedish, Danish and French league match for less than Premier would charge me for a sub standard service. 

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1