British Speedway Forum

The Repair Shop BBC1 8pm Weds 5th Jan

Hi all and Happy New Year.

This week in the repair shop there is an old speedway related item being restored.  Depending on which newspaper you get the information from, it is either a pair of boots that evoke bittersweet memories or a bedraggled piece of material that turns out to be a vintage speedway bib that played a crucial role in one family's history.
Could be an interesting watch.  At the very least we get a mention on the beeb!

• Thanks 3

I'm sure it was mentioned in Peter Oaks "Off the beaten track" pages within the Speedway Star. It is a race jacket & it has letters rather than a number on the rear. It is believed that the whole team wore their initials rather than a number. I can't remember what team it was but Bristol seems to be sticking in my head.

12 hours ago, Technik said:

I'm sure it was mentioned in Peter Oaks "Off the beaten track" pages within the Speedway Star. It is a race jacket & it has letters rather than a number on the rear. It is believed that the whole team wore their initials rather than a number. I can't remember what team it was but Bristol seems to be sticking in my head.

Harringay used Initials instead of letters for awhile. I've got Lloyd Goffe's Racers jacket in my collection.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hammer1969 said:

On the synopsis it says its a pair of Speedway Boots, wonder whose?  Olle Nygren wore distinctive ones and he passed away last year, could it be his boots?

If I remember they were blue with a white design on the front.

Edited by tyretrax

17 hours ago, Technik said:

I've got an ancient Bristol Bulldogs race jacket with F on the back, could it be Fred Tuck?

looks like they are still using that rulebook . thats progress for ya .

just found out the item they are going to repair is a box . you know the type that cricketers and speedway riders wear to protect their jewels . wonder who is going to work on that little item ? face masks will be mandatory .

I did also see that today, Wednesday 5th, on talking pictures ( on Sky & Freeview, not sure about Virgin) at 3:05 there is a programme called Travellers Yarn which makes mention of speedway in its description. It looks to be a programme about tyre development in general, and specifically rayon in tyres.

On the "Morning Live" programme they simply refer to the rider as "Mike" - he sadly died of a brain tumour a short while ago. A pair of boots and metal shoe are shown and a short clip of four riders racing around a bend - not sure of the track - could be Canterbury ?  Mke's wife says that he rode between 1975 and 1978. I did not recognise him from the photo they showed.

4 hours ago, Vic Meldrew said:

On the "Morning Live" programme they simply refer to the rider as "Mike" - he sadly died of a brain tumour a short while ago. A pair of boots and metal shoe are shown and a short clip of four riders racing around a bend - not sure of the track - could be Canterbury ?  Mke's wife says that he rode between 1975 and 1978. I did not recognise him from the photo they showed.

could it be Mike Sampson  ?

1 hour ago, jenga said:

could it be Mike Sampson  ?

Mike Sampson rode from 1971-82 so doesn't fit the narrow time frame.

It could just be a junior.   

Mike Bessent.  He had 1 match with Crewe in  1974.  3 matches for Eastbourne 1975 and 30 matches for Crayford in 1977.  He died in 2021.

Edited by PotteringAround
  • Thanks 1