British Speedway Forum

Plymouth 2022

Doners123

Not a bad team. Gilkes could be the league’s top rider (Bickley will have something to say about that though!). Atkins in on a false average and Andrews is prolific at home. Those 3 should get them the home win alone most weeks. Best of luck to Extance coming back and he’s always been a rider I enjoyed watching. The might find it a bit tougher at the bottom end though as I’m not sure how good Meadows will perform which puts some pressure on young Trigger. Hopefully they can find a proper number 2 to give those two a season at reserve but I have a feeling they might be under the points limit. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

Not a bad team. Gilkes could be the league’s top rider (Bickley will have something to say about that though!). Atkins in on a false average and Andrews is prolific at home. Those 3 should get them the home win alone most weeks. Best of luck to Extance coming back and he’s always been a rider I enjoyed watching. The might find it a bit tougher at the bottom end though as I’m not sure how good Meadows will perform which puts some pressure on young Trigger. Hopefully they can find a proper number 2 to give those two a season at reserve but I have a feeling they might be under the points limit. 

From what I've seen of Eli I've been impressed tbh, a lot of people say he's not ready but I really don't understand that, which is why I keep bringing up his name over and over. HOWEVER, I have only ever seen him at practice days at Scunthorpe and Leicester, riding by himself, I know riding with 3 others in a race is totally different. Let's see how he gets on. Ben Trigger will be an excellent reserve, especially at Plymouth. Top 5 looks powerful too, looks like a decent side imo. :t:

1 hour ago, Islander15 said:

Andrews is prolific at home. 

He really isn't and is a massive waste of a team spot. Lovely lad is Richard but he simply hasn't cut it in lord knows how many goes he's had at speedway. He'll have one or two meetings where he'll score 8 or 9 points and everyone will say how great he is but I'd sooner have seen Plymouth go with an unknown 3 pointer who could develop. What's worse is his average is way above his level so all in all a shocker of a signing.

The other 5 though, pretty good I reckon. Extance always looked a bit awkward at Plymouth mind and will be interesting to see how he comes back from injury, always good off the gate though and that will make him competitive at home.

1 hour ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

He really isn't and is a massive waste of a team spot.

Don't see that at all.   He's a good guy and he'll be good value on a 6.55 average.  He'll increase that around Plymouth in this league.  Looking like a decent team depending on the last signing.  

Dan Gilkes will be the league's top star.  But he starts on a huge 10+ average, so you need him scoring a near-maximum in nearly every match just to hold his value.  I rate him highly, but I think after the little Kent track, he'd have done better going to a big track like Belle Vue to progress.  Not sure what he'll learn at Plymouth.  But from Plymouth's point of view he'll rack up the points.

Andrews and Atkins are on good averages for heat leaders.  Atkins will make an absolute mockery of 5.86 so they'll have 3 very strong riders at the top end.  Second-strings could be the weakness.   I don't rate Extance at all.  Like Andrews he's approaching his 30th birthday, but I can't remember him ever completing a season without quitting or getting injured or both.  We await news on the other second string.   Ben Trigger will do fine at reserve.  He's a nice enthusiastic lad, and a lightning gater, which is all you need at Plymouth.   Eli Meadows seems a decent enough youngster and just needs to be allowed to progress at his own rate.

Plymouth should easily go unbeaten at home, and could shock a few away.

Gilkes as stated looks the leagues top rider and will likely max out almost wherever he goes but as a home track im not sure it is really any benefit doubling up. Atkins is on a false average but has stalled for the past few seasons due to injuries etc, looked like he could have been Flint level but is getting left behind and does need a strong season this year.

Andrews an obvious enough choice but uninspiring and always has question marks over his kit. Extance looks a high average to me and will offer little away. Meadows in my opinion features due to age rather than ability and will frustrate some. 

Trigger and the remaining rider is key. If its a strong final signing then there will always be one good reserve all year, if its poor or even a 3 pointer it looks another missed opportunity side.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

He really isn't and is a massive waste of a team spot. Lovely lad is Richard but he simply hasn't cut it in lord knows how many goes he's had at speedway. He'll have one or two meetings where he'll score 8 or 9 points and everyone will say how great he is but I'd sooner have seen Plymouth go with an unknown 3 pointer who could develop. What's worse is his average is way above his level so all in all a shocker of a signing.

The other 5 though, pretty good I reckon. Extance always looked a bit awkward at Plymouth mind and will be interesting to see how he comes back from injury, always good off the gate though and that will make him competitive at home.

Richard Andrews' father is also a great guy, but Richard won't ever be knocking on the door for a Gladiators team spot. Maybe Matt Bates could make a comeback! 

14 minutes ago, pitgate52 said:

Connor King completes the Centurions.

I'm gonna sound harsh... But that's a shame. Good kid, ok second string but disappointing finish to such a promising looking side and well under the limit. Regardless, good luck Connor and good luck Plymouth for 2022 :t:

Connor blows very hot and cold. Not sure how he will be setup this year but things have always been a little bit unfinished in previous years. Can see him and Trigger swapping reserve berths all year and each cleaning up in that position so maybe not so bad but a team very under the limit and bit underwhelming against other announced teams.

• 2 weeks later...

Majority of young riders who have come through NDL and into CL have been developed via the 125 250 and 500 schemes.

Proper racing from a young age whereas the journeyman of the NDL play just as an important part of the league as without them how would the league exist?

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

IF rumours are true and Gilkes has broken an arm and IF Atkins is packing in the Centurions look to be in a bit of bother. Choice of guests at number 1 until Gilkes returns will be fine but Atkins on such a low average would be much harder to cover and cant help feeling RR would leave them quite exposed?

Atkins had denied rumours that he's quitting.   Gilkes will be a big miss though.   Sure anyone can guest for him, but finding guests willing to travel to Devon who can match his scorepower might not be easy.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

Atkins had denied rumours that he's quitting.   Gilkes will be a big miss though.   Sure anyone can guest for him, but finding guests willing to travel to Devon who can match his scorepower might not be easy.

Good news about Atkins, not sure if a reason has been given for him missing the Scunthorpe trip? Im guessing obvious choice would be Bowtell (if he fancies the extra miles) 

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Good news about Atkins, not sure if a reason has been given for him missing the Scunthorpe trip?

He was withholding his services, so he'll certainly be banned.  Presume the ban will affect his NDL place too.  Not sure whether it's a 7-day ban or 28?    He put something on his Facebook to his "fans and sponsors" saying he wasn't quitting, but he didn't say anything about not turning up at Scunthorpe.

14 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

He was withholding his services, so he'll certainly be banned.  Presume the ban will affect his NDL place too.  Not sure whether it's a 7-day ban or 28?    He put something on his Facebook to his "fans and sponsors" saying he wasn't quitting, but he didn't say anything about not turning up at Scunthorpe.

If he was withholding then it used to be 28 day ban across all leagues. If he was "ill" then its just 9? days. Pretty sure taking a break will fall under witholding though

As ever speedway is never straightforward. Have every expectation that Henry will end up at Oxford. No question he is withholding service but I'm sure Mr Godfrey will brush it under the carpet as he continues to hold his grudge against Plymouth.

I wish Henry all the best as ultimately he's a good lad it's just a shame people close to him are calling the shots and interfering when the lad should just be allowed to get on with racing. I can't help but feel these things will ultimately have a negative impact. 

On 5/1/2022 at 9:17 AM, torpointfanatic22 said:

I wish Henry all the best as ultimately he's a good lad it's just a shame people close to him are calling the shots and interfering when the lad should just be allowed to get on with racing. I can't help but feel these things will ultimately have a negative impact. 

Looks like, just days after saying he wasn't quitting, Atkins has quit both Plymouth teams.    28-day ban for withholding services would appear to be the next step.

Got to feel sorry for Plymouth who are losing riders at a rate of knots, and to a degree feel sorry for Atkins who seems to be a decent lad, but is having his career ruined, as you say,  by people close to home who are calling the shots and doing him no favours.