British Speedway Forum

Birmingham Brummies 2022

*JJ

When announcing that they would take over the club, the consortium did say that they would assess at the end of the season how things had gone, and that they wouldnt just throw money at it (like some do)....

It seemed from the interview they gave the SS a few months back that they were confident of having the finances in place to support at least one season, then review how things were.... 

In all honesty, I do think that they will need plenty of sponsorship on board given the history of low crowds at Birmingham over the past several years.. 

When I went around 8 years ago I think I was (at 46), the second youngest spectator there, with my then 10 year old lad the actual youngest...:o:D

Fingers crossed for those willing to at least give it a go...

22 minutes ago, mikebv said:

When announcing that they would take over the club, the consortium did say that they would assess at the end of the season how things had gone, and that they wouldnt just throw money at it (like some do)....

It seemed from the interview they gave the SS a few months back that they were confident of having the finances in place to support at least one season, then review how things were.... 

In all honesty, I do think that they will need plenty of sponsorship on board given the history of low crowds at Birmingham over the past several years.. 

When I went around 8 years ago I think I was (at 46), the second youngest spectator there, with my then 10 year old lad the actual youngest...:o:D

Fingers crossed for those willing to at least give it a go...

Birmingham for the size of catchment area have had too many struggles to survive for me,( don’t know the answer) but hope the manage to put in a successful season.

Edited by Fromafar

9 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Birmingham for the size of catchment area have had to many struggles to survive for me,( don’t know the answer) but hope the manage to put in a successful season.

To be fair, it is a situation repeated at many conurbations around the country...

It's just that as its "Britain's Second City"* I suppose the lack of decent crowds stands out s bit more...

* The "Britain's Second City" comment is I know subjective and is disputed by many Londoners who feel that their City holds that accolade...

Behind Manchester obviously.. ....:D 

17 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Birmingham for the size of catchment area have had too many struggles to survive for me,( don’t know the answer) but hope the manage to put in a successful season.

3 minutes ago, mikebv said:

To be fair, it is a situation repeated at many conurbations around the country...

It's just that as its "Britain's Second City"* I suppose the lack of decent crowds stands out s bit more...

* The "Britain's Second City" comment is I know subjective and is disputed by many Londoners who feel that their City holds that accolade...

Cultural Diversity?

38 minutes ago, mikebv said:

The problem Brum would always have to overcome was the 21 years between The Wheels and the return to Perry Barr. After the initial burst of interest at the start in 2007, the crowds settled down to mainly the old fans and a few newbies, unfortunately dwindling gradually over the years. 

Speedway is a sport that no longer captures the imagination of the sporting public. How you attract new fans and returnees in that climate I'll never know. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

I don't think our 'location' helps....proper sh#t hole of an area! (as was the 'Wheels project'!!)

Possibly, but other than a brief sojourn at Hall Green, speedway in the city has always been associated with Perry Barr, either where it is now (and the 40's, 50's and 1960) or the old Ladbrokes Stadium over the road which is now buried under the One Stop Shopping Centre.

What doesn't help is all the construction work going on, some of it unnecessarily.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

I don't think our 'location' helps....proper sh#t hole of an area! (as was the 'Wheels project'!!)

But the Brummies have always been in this area either at the present location or over the road at the old Ladbrokes Stadium except for those few years at the Wheels, The Location of Birmingham City, Aston Villa and WBA are all in similar type of areas, and yes Iv no doubt it affects the attendance as locals predominantly are not Speedway supporters, however were the location in Sutton Coldfield or Solihull I doubt that would have any great impact on the attendance, 

One would assume from GiveusaB's comments that in comparison to Perry Barr, Redcar is some utopian paradise, or that Ashfield is a carbon copy of Shangri-La.

These places are what they are. You play with the cards you are dealt and get on with it. Perry Barr is the subject of a £700m reinvestment programme and in addition a long-term regeneration and improvement plan that will build on that investment. 

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/50253/perry_barr_regeneration/2388/perry_barr_2040_a_vision_for_legacy

If the Brummies were to get merely a one hundred thousandth of that sort of investment by way of the first sponsor, they may be able to persuade someone to take up one of the 3 remaining sits vacant that they have.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brummies23 said:

The wait goes on for the last 3 signings. Thought we would of got atleast 2 or even 3in by now from the video he made or was that just letting the fans get some hope. 

come on LR. Get them riders signed!! Or do we have to wait till the end of the week

Can not sign anyone when LR has no contact left to sign.

Verge

James Jessop

There the riders available and fit LR budget. CHEAP!!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, uk_martin said:

One would assume from GiveusaB's comments that in comparison to Perry Barr, Redcar is some utopian paradise, or that Ashfield is a carbon copy of Shangri-La.

These places are what they are. You play with the cards you are dealt and get on with it. Perry Barr is the subject of a £700m reinvestment programme and in addition a long-term regeneration and improvement plan that will build on that investment. 

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/50253/perry_barr_regeneration/2388/perry_barr_2040_a_vision_for_legacy

If the Brummies were to get merely a one hundred thousandth of that sort of investment by way of the first sponsor, they may be able to persuade someone to take up one of the 3 remaining sits vacant that they have.

Just stating a fact!

Perry Barr and most of its surrounding areas are sh#t holes.....

Regeneration my a#se! (in the words of Jim Royle....) 

I hate the place!

As for the comment that B'ham has always rode in this area? It used to be ok in the 80's...... but, I'm afraid its been on the decline since the the turn of the century.

10 hours ago, uk_martin said:

We may be missed a trick when Star City or even Fort Dunlop were developed / re-developed during the fallow years when we had no Speedway.

Both sites would have offered space on brown field development and an excellent infrastructure re Free Parking and other attractions and adjacent and visible from m6 with no noise issues. Sad with a City Council who were often ignorant to Sport at the time; we had little or no chance, despite the wonderful work of Brian and his band of hard working supporters who have at least given us speedway to enjoy this past decade or so. 

We are where we are though and it's hard to imagine the Gogs will move from there whilst ARC can rake in the Betting Levy so we have to make it our Speedway home for as long as possible.

• Like 2

Press release today that LR is still talking with several riders.

Don't take this the wrong way but it's best to pull out of the league now rather than financially collapsing mid-season. Obvious LR cant put a team together at this point and any 1-7 will now be well below par and it's no secret how Birmingham have struggled with attendances in the past and that's with half decent teams containing a couple of good riders.

I'm sorry but people will not pay the money to see a below average team get smashed by 20-30 points every week considering the price of living these days with Gas and Electric prices set to sky rocket.

7 minutes ago, TTT said:

Press release today that LR is still talking with several riders.

Don't take this the wrong way but it's best to pull out of the league now rather than financially collapsing mid-season. Obvious LR cant put a team together at this point and any 1-7 will now be well below par and it's no secret how Birmingham have struggled with attendances in the past and that's with half decent teams containing a couple of good riders.

I'm sorry but people will not pay the money to see a below average team get smashed by 20-30 points every week considering the price of living these days with Gas and Electric prices set to sky rocket.

Die hard ( not the film! lol) fans will. It just depends how many of them Birmingham have and actually if people are worried about Birmingham closing and they can afford it, in my opinion they will attend. Hard to get crowds in the Midlands though, so much going on!!