British Speedway Forum

Birmingham Brummies 2022

*JJ

6 hours ago, lewy said:

As far as I can tell their are no riders available to fill the last 3 places,brum don't have any thing in place to sign riders who need a visa i really can't see them putting a team on track. Sincerely hope I,m wrong!

But LR said 5/6 weeks ago he was in talks with 2 riders they were just checking their fixtures to see if they could commit to a season with Birmingham. Was LR buying time or still waiting for the ink to dry on these riders contracts?

Also his cries of don't panic which is always a sign things are going to plan.

You got remember Crump Bjarne Rory all retired. Those 3 riders in the league needed replacing and that is where LR is struggling 3 heat leaders to complete a team.

16 hours ago, Col said:

Sadly that goes for an awful lot of modern day riders!

One has to ask, is that because of the rider or the state of speedway tracks these days? 

I think someone pointed out yesterday on this forum that a high percentage of tracks are very slick ....... "if you miss the gate you haven't got a chance" ?

The home riders generally know what set-up to use.

4 hours ago, Jimsboy said:

But LR said 5/6 weeks ago he was in talks with 2 riders they were just checking their fixtures to see if they could commit to a season with Birmingham. Was LR buying time or still waiting for the ink to dry on these riders contracts?

Also his cries of don't panic which is always a sign things are going to plan.

You got remember Crump Bjarne Rory all retired. Those 3 riders in the league needed replacing and that is where LR is struggling 3 heat leaders to complete a team.

With respect its not like LR to stretch the truth a little is it...... 

I sincerely hope that a couple of riders have a change of heart and decide to ride CL or are willing to sign briefly, even if they get Bjarne to sign on then retire again they have a rider allocated to book guests against. Whatever is happening behind the scenes the clock is definitely ticking.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

With respect its not like LR to stretch the truth a little is it...... 

I sincerely hope that a couple of riders have a change of heart and decide to ride CL or are willing to sign briefly, even if they get Bjarne to sign on then retire again they have a rider allocated to book guests against. Whatever is happening behind the scenes the clock is definitely ticking.

Can it be someone other than Bjarne please...just in case he does decide to have a spin again ? :D

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

One has to ask, is that because of the rider or the state of speedway tracks these days? 

I think someone pointed out yesterday on this forum that a high percentage of tracks are very slick ....... "if you miss the gate you haven't got a chance" ?

The home riders generally know what set-up to use.

To be fair, I think all through the history of the sport, the majority or riders have been "gate and go"...

Hence the oft used phrase by those who dont take to it of "first out of the start, wins"...

Maybe the rougher tracks and slower bikes brought with them more passing but for overall entertainment I would suggest that the Speedeay served up today is at least as good, if not better, than any I have watched over the years..  

And also, I would prefer a six point man scoring 0,3,0,3 than one scoring 1,2,1,2 as the opponents could score only a maximum eight point advantage in the first example, wherby a twelve point one could be accrued with the second..

Edited by mikebv

11 minutes ago, mikebv said:

To be fair, I think all through the history of the sport, the majority or riders have been "gate and go"...

Hence the oft used phrase by those who dont take to it of "first out of the start, wins"...

Maybe the rougher tracks and slower bikes brought with them more passing but for overall entertainment I would suggest that the Speedeay served up today is at least as good, if not better, than any I have watched over the years..  

And also, I would prefer a six point man scoring 0,3,0,3 than one scoring 1,2,1,2 as the opponents could score only a maximum eight point advantage in the first example, wherby a twelve point one could be accrued with the second..

Fair point about the scoring observation. Only problem is, it would need his team mate to win the races that 'he' scored 0 points in, to be prevent the opposition taking a Heat advantage?

I think? :D

As a Brummies supporter I must admit this endless waiting is starting to get to me. I know LR says he has a plan and the supporters shouldn't panic, but its not like we are just waiting on news about a final rider to complete the team; we need three good or fairly decent riders!

I must admit to being increasingly concerned about the lack of news and hope something will be released soon, if only about one of the riders. At the I'm just clinging to the belief the new investors in the club wouldn't be spending a shed load of money on substantial track improvements without a strong belief a decent team can be put together to attract the paying public.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Fair point about the scoring observation. Only problem is, it would need his team mate to win the races that 'he' scored 0 points in, to be prevent the opposition taking a Heat advantage?

I think? :D

It would...

My point was you could better off with a rider winning a couple of races a night rather than one winning none but still having the same average...

I hope Birminghan can put together a decent team, but to he honest, I do feel that they may end up struggling to do so, and that could be a disaster for their continuation given their history....

Personally, I think an NDL place should initially have been the target as, like many tracks of their size, it does have a following of 600 or so die hards who would have supported it I would suggest..

Unfortunately, as we know, the NDL has been restructured to support the Championship, so what once was the best ran league, offering the best value for money, (and for me also the best entertainment), is now no longer the same standard...

Fingers crossed they can be competitive AND sustainable...

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Brummie Boy said:

As a Brummies supporter I must admit this endless waiting is starting to get to me. I know LR says he has a plan and the supporters shouldn't panic, but its not like we are just waiting on news about a final rider to complete the team; we need three good or fairly decent riders!

I must admit to being increasingly concerned about the lack of news and hope something will be released soon, if only about one of the riders. At the I'm just clinging to the belief the new investors in the club wouldn't be spending a shed load of money on substantial track improvements without a strong belief a decent team can be put together to attract the paying public.

Don't worry LR has it all sorted he is just waiting on one rider to "find" his UK passport and the paperwork for the other two is locked in his glovebox :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jimsboy said:

But it has always been so.     Peter Collins, Mark Loram and Barry Briggs all retired, were replaced, and the sport moved on.

You say the forty-somethings need replacing?     As always, they will be.     By Jacob Hook, George Congreve, Nathan Ablitt, Lasse Fredriksen, Dan Gilkes, etc, coming in fresh and new at the bottom to replace the retirees.

Who in turn are replaced at the top by the brightest and best moving up through the league -- Tom Brennan, Leon Flint and Jordan Palin are going to be stars, Ryan Douglas and Josh Pickering are already well on their way.

It's the Circle of Life, my friend.   Hakuna matata!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Bjarne and Rory mentioned in the same sentence as Collins/Loram/Briggs ??? dont make me laugh! :D

Its not the retired riders that are being missed...it's the current crop of world stars that wont ride in this country, thanks to Polish domination.

Polish domination never happened overnight though.We have to take some of the blame for the decline of the sport in UK.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Polish domination never happened overnight though.We have to take some of the blame for the decline of the sport in UK.

And Collins, Loram and Briggs were replaced by other World Class riders not "young 4pt lads with potential"...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crescent girl said:

But it has always been so.     Peter Collins, Mark Loram and Barry Briggs all retired, were replaced, and the sport moved on.

You say the forty-somethings need replacing?     As always, they will be.     By Jacob Hook, George Congreve, Nathan Ablitt, Lasse Fredriksen, Dan Gilkes, etc, coming in fresh and new at the bottom to replace the retirees.

Who in turn are replaced at the top by the brightest and best moving up through the league -- Tom Brennan, Leon Flint and Jordan Palin are going to be stars, Ryan Douglas and Josh Pickering are already well on their way.

It's the Circle of Life, my friend.   Hakuna matata!

Collins,Loram and Briggs had been replaced by better riders before they retired,that’s the difference from nowadays.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Bjarne and Rory mentioned in the same sentence as Collins/Loram/Briggs ??? dont make me laugh! :D

Its not the retired riders that are being missed...it's the current crop of world stars that wont ride in this country, thanks to Polish domination.

Even if they were or could ride if Brum signed any of them would need 2000 through the gate instead 1000. Thats 4 times the amount Masons were getting in 2021

• Confused 1

So you start the process with minus 3 riders...add a team in the way of Oxford, that needs another 7 riders, and all of a sudden, to make up the league's quota or riders, you are on minus 10. Give everyone else a 2-3 month head start and then surprise surprise, there's nobody left that you can mop up in the final weeks before the season starts. 

This goes to back up what I've said before, there is a very limited pool of riders. Hardly enough to go around now, as it is, and with people talking about how great it would be to see Eastbourne, Swindon, Coventry, Bradford etc return, you have to ask, where the riders to fill all those extra team places will come from.

Edited by uk_martin
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Not just "some of the blame" I would suggest..,

Whilst Poland got stronger the promoters tried to keep using riders who clearly had new priorities and larger revenue streams via Poland, Sweden, and the GP's...

Using a huge proportion of the TV millions to keep them....

Increasing admission fees annually by inflation busting amounts to try and cover ever increasing costs which were never brought under control....

Rearranging fixtures ad nauseum to work around the top riders' own individual agendas, regardless of negative impact to the crowd level by running on those nights. .

And running with Guestfest after Guestfest when fixtures couldn't be moved to accomodate them, thus destroying the credibility of so many meetings, and therefore,  ultimately, the actual credibility of the whole leagues themselves...

Resulting in a great proportion of the fanbase simply "giving up" watching the sport "live" but still watching the sport with enthusiasm via TV and Internet offerings...

And all for riders who, in the main, "Foxtrot Oscared" the minute the big money ran out over here...

The employee level you can afford by your income is the employee level you should employ...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1