British Speedway Forum

Birmingham Brummies 2022

*JJ

9 hours ago, Speedway fan said:

totally wrong on NIL . All those who were the nomadic clubs were actively seeking sites and some came near and this was monitored. The pandemic has made this difficult but there are active searches progressing.

And it was not just 'nomadic' teams which were abolished. I have just found this:

The Scunthorpe promotion have dealt the Stags a major blow by deciding against any further action for the team, stating they think the Midland Development League is "a waste of time."

And this is from the person who is supposed to be running British speedway!

47 minutes ago, *JJ said:

And it was not just 'nomadic' teams which were abolished. I have just found this:

The Scunthorpe promotion have dealt the Stags a major blow by deciding against any further action for the team, stating they think the Midland Development League is "a waste of time."

And this is from the person who is supposed to be running British speedway!

Whilst you might not like his decision, it’s his track and his opinion and that has nothing to do with ‘nomadic teams ‘.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Nielsen and Morris starting at reserve for us....must be close to being the strongest reserve pairing in the Championship if they perform to their best.

100% agree.

No rush to sign heat leaders either, it'll become a buyers market and make negotiating a better deal for the Club easier. 

Someone will get ditched in Poland or Sweden or elsewhere and open up options for us.

Laurence has great contacts and trust him 100% to put out a very solid 1-7.

Better to wait than chance over-paid mercenaries who'll have no loyalty and just interested in £'s!

You've only got to go back to 2018 to see that a solid 1-7 can win Titles and Cups and we could have a similar side averaging between 7 and 5 and not carrying a reserve like Worky did that year.

11 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Whilst you might not like his decision, it’s his track and his opinion and that has nothing to do with ‘nomadic teams ‘.

Maybe, but it just shows the mighty mental capacity of this person.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, HGould said:

100% agree.

No rush to sign heat leaders either, it'll become a buyers market and make negotiating a better deal for the Club easier. 

Someone will get ditched in Poland or Sweden or elsewhere and open up options for us.

Laurence has great contacts and trust him 100% to put out a very solid 1-7.

Better to wait than chance over-paid mercenaries who'll have no loyalty and just interested in £'s!

You've only got to go back to 2018 to see that a solid 1-7 can win Titles and Cups and we could have a similar side averaging between 7 and 5 and not carrying a reserve like Worky did that year.

Name riders that are in this Market? Sweden does not start till end April/May. 

Poland starts April so whats you going to do call off meetings stating waiting for the this so called buyers Market to open?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimsboy said:

Name riders that are in this Market? Sweden does not start till end April/May. 

Poland starts April so whats you going to do call off meetings stating waiting for the this so called buyers Market to open?

Exactly.  There are very few available riders. Unless you can pull a rabbit out of a hat like bjarne pedersen then I think you will end up with gappmaier and sedgeman at best. 

I'm not clued up on the visa rules but what about Aussie guys who've not been over for a few years? Kozza Smith, Taylor Poole, Dakota North and Arthur sissis come to mind. Was erratic Canadian rode for Sheffield few years back legault. Maybe these guys retired I don't know

15 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

I'm not clued up on the visa rules but what about Aussie guys who've not been over for a few years? Kozza Smith, Taylor Poole, Dakota North and Arthur sissis come to mind. Was erratic Canadian rode for Sheffield few years back legault. Maybe these guys retired I don't know

Only trouble is did they really make the grade when they previously came over, not really, and probably worse now if still riding, and you would have to pay the current rate for a rider who's substandard championship level. It just again shows the damage the powers that be did by finishing off a competitive NL of a few seasons ago for self interest, I'm sure the conveyor belt of the Brennen's, Palin etc would have continued to a greater extent than it has since. I know it won't answer all the problems with rider shortage, but I bet Birmingham, Eastbourne, Kent and others would have stayed in a competitive NL, less teams in the championship so more riders to go round and continuing to bring through the young talent. Too much of a threat to the upper leagues though. 

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

The names you mention certainly wouldn’t interested.IMO.Kozzo plays around in OZ.The rest are off the the radar.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Kozza retired due to injury. Taylor fell out of love with speedway. 
I think Dakota went to help his father in the family business and Kyle became a fireman back home in Canada. 
exactly the sort of thinking to find a rider though. Ellis perks maybe 

That would be a great signing, but assume whatever he's done work wise since 'retirement' if successful would anyone really want to swop that in the current climate? 

3 minutes ago, gazzac said:

Only trouble is did they really make the grade when they previously came over, not really, and probably worse now if still riding, and you would have to pay the current rate for a rider who's substandard championship level. It just again shows the damage the powers that be did by finishing off a competitive NL of a few seasons ago for self interest, I'm sure the conveyor belt of the Brennen's, Palin etc would have continued to a greater extent than it has since. I know it won't answer all the problems with rider shortage, but I bet Birmingham, Eastbourne, Kent and others would have stayed in a competitive NL, less teams in the championship so more riders to go round and continuing to bring through the young talent. Too much of a threat to the upper leagues though. 

The NL was never a threat to anyone just got its pay structure all wrong. You seem to forget that those mentioned teams , plus Lakeside and Cradley were the teams that paid way above and beyond the NL rates thus making it a ‘ professional’ paid league for amateurs and giving easy money to riders who shouldn’t have ridden at the lower level meaning the end of the likes of Buxton, one of the few clubs who ran the correct way for the NL.

The lack of UK riders is because the higher clubs sought foreign riders far too often when British riders were available and so your average second strings and below simply gave up the sport.

• Like 1