British Speedway Forum

Old Maps - Speedway Track Spotting

Deano

I often look through maps online to try and work out where old stadiums were. Never found this site before, so very interesting for me.

Bristol: Explore georeferenced maps - Map images - National Library of Scotland (nls.uk)

New Cross: Explore georeferenced maps - Map images - National Library of Scotland (nls.uk)

Reading: Explore georeferenced maps - Map images - National Library of Scotland (nls.uk)

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Deano said:

Do we know the reason for that stadium to be demolished? It must be a first for there not to be something there in it's place.

The speedway shut in the early/mid 60s and the greyhounds shut down in 1969 after problems over the lease with British Rail, who owned the site.   There were plans to use the site as part of a redevelopment of the Millwall FC Stadium next door, but they came to nothing, and the derelict New Cross was just demolished.

• Like 1

The original Swindon track was in a field behind the Dulke of Edinburgh pub in Gorse Hill, which would be roughly where the speedway track shaped housing estate is on the modern view.

Explore georeferenced maps - Map images - National Library of Scotland (nls.uk)

On 11/8/2021 at 10:03 AM, Deano said:

Do we know the reason for that stadium to be demolished? It must be a first for there not to be something there in it's place.

Is it just me....or can you still see the vague outline of the track on the satellite image?

1 minute ago, falcace said:

Is it just me....or can you still see the vague outline of the track on the satellite image?

Definitely. I've always thought that.

• Like 1

The old White City London : https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=51.51496&lon=-0.22983&layers=193&b=1

White City Glasgow : https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=55.85158&lon=-4.31676&layers=193&b=1

White City Cardiff ? :https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=51.47051&lon=-3.19951&layers=172&b=1

Tried finding Lea Bridge without luck. Found the nearby Dog Track though. Plus found the old Wandsworth dog track

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1