British Speedway Forum

Oxford Cheetahs 2022

5 hours ago, gazzac said:

He was one of the best few riders I've ever seen, and definitely the fastest at Arlington, and his races with Nicki still stick in the memory ( faster rider vs a better racer)but I think last season shows age catches up with everyone and personally I'd rather remember him in his prime and hopefully he'll make a great manager.

I think his crash at Wolverhampton knocked the stuffing out of him  so he realised it's still a young man's game. 

I honestly think he will still race a few meetings in Australia but not State titles etc to scratch his itch.

I'm definitely in the remember him on the top of his game camp as opposed to seeing him being beaten by youngsters chasing the dream.

As a manager he can maybe give so much advice to the team that it has to be a good move. 

• Like 2

Must be a great inspiration to have Crump in the pits in whatever capacity....great move by Oxford...they seem to be ticking all the boxes so far as set up goes!

You have Crump and Nicholls .... we have Rogers and Auty :D

My only disappointment is that race night is a Wednesday ? not the best night IMO.

Edited by GiveusaB
  • Like 1

Yup Wednesday race night is probably the worst possible that the Scunthorpe owner could have given them. Clashes with Poole . Adults kids have work/ school. 

As we all know it’s not about promoting the sport it’s all about self interest. You can race on any night as long as it’s not on “my race night” 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Yup Wednesday race night is probably the worst possible that the Scunthorpe owner could have given them. Clashes with Poole . Adults kids have work/ school. 

As we all know it’s not about promoting the sport it’s all about self interest. You can race on any night as long as it’s not on “my race night” 

Why is it the Scunthorpe promoter is getting the blame for a Wednesday night for Racing , I’m sure due to the dog racing for the Betting Shops there isn’t a lot of choice of days when the speedway can race . I know Rob Godfrey gets a bad press but surely he alone can’t say when a side rides there home fixtures 

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Adults/kids with work/school has never held Poole or plenty of other midweek tracks back.

• Like 3

The way I understand the race night decision is as follows;

Monday - premiership race night 

Tueaday - free

Wednesday - free

Thursday - premiership race night 

Friday - too many other clubs already ride Friday 

Saturday/Sunday - greyhounds 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

Why is it the Scunthorpe promoter is getting the blame for a Wednesday night for Racing , I’m sure due to the dog racing for the Betting Shops there isn’t a lot of choice of days when the speedway can race . I know Rob Godfrey gets a bad press but surely he alone can’t say when a side rides there home fixtures 

because the bitter twisted and ill informed blame him for everything:cheers:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Strange that Danny Ford of Wednesday track Poole is on the BSPL Management Board and party to those decisions?!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Apparently Hans Nielsen will be making an appearance? Will certainly help raise the profile of the sport returning to Cowley.

Surely everybody will wish this to be the case. Can't imagine opening night without Hans in attendance :D hopefully maybe even ride the first lap.

• Like 3

I think you will find that the infamous Pirates didn't take kindly to moving off their traditional Wednesday race night, which is I guess almost engrained into every Poole residents calendar.  They will be happy with any night as long as it is a Wednesday.

Too many clubs on a Friday ............ who says ? 

We have Edinburgh and Glasgow running on Fridays ( a most bizarre situation ) 

Do Poland seem to have too many clubs on a Sunday ? 

Do Denmark too many clubs on  Wednesday ?

Do  Sweden  .... etc etc.

Time the blinkered promoters allowed tracks to run on nights where they can make most money , not for the convenience of other Friday night tracks.  Promoting British Speedway  is not the description  I would use for  Rob Godfrey ( unless it's promoting his own club)

• Sad 1