British Speedway Forum

Eastbourne Speedway

M.D

Riders’ wages will also need to be realistic. The Newcastle article in this weeks speedway star is very informative, as was the previous weeks about Brummies. At Div 2 level, speedway is not a full-time job but can be a well paid hobby, as it was in 60s/70s for many riders who managed a comfortable lifestyle.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2022 at 3:12 PM, Hackett said:

Good to see The Argus giving the Eastbourne Eagles situation some publicity. Good luck to all involved - £150,000++ + anybody got a tractor ??? 

Couple of tractors for sale at Newcastle but would not trust the guy who is trying to sell them !!!

17 hours ago, FromBendThree said:

Riders’ wages will also need to be realistic. The Newcastle article in this weeks speedway star is very informative, as was the previous weeks about Brummies. At Div 2 level, speedway is not a full-time job but can be a well paid hobby, as it was in 60s/70s for many riders who managed a comfortable lifestyle.

So about the level of the NL back in 2015/18 that was so successful, cheaper, brought on the youngsters.......

• Like 1

18 hours ago, M.D said:

That's a bit harsh really, if it was a pure buisness decision then they wouldn't want speedway at the venue. It costs money with staff etc and they would be happy just running cars that they make money out of without the aggravation of running speedway.

They are very supportive and the rent is realistic and a lot lower than most clubs, they are happy for us to run the sport at the stadium and thats a big positive..

I thought that would be the case, imagine with all the increases in costs, electricity, insurance etc and probably charging under the going rate previously, it probably costs double to open the gates now than in 2019/20.

• Like 1

Taken from Facebook

Good afternoon everyone
The consortium met again yesterday to discuss our recent stadium visit, review the current financial position and recently obtained costings.
We will be attending a meeting at oxford speedway soon to meet the new owner and promoter to discuss running a speedway club at both championship and ND league
We are moving in the right direction at the moment to the point when we are hoping to announce a date for a fans forum.
Thats all for now
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, screm said:

Taken from Facebook

Good afternoon everyone
The consortium met again yesterday to discuss our recent stadium visit, review the current financial position and recently obtained costings.
We will be attending a meeting at oxford speedway soon to meet the new owner and promoter to discuss running a speedway club at both championship and ND league
We are moving in the right direction at the moment to the point when we are hoping to announce a date for a fans forum.
Thats all for now

Just to clarify that we did have a productive meeting yesterday and we are looking at running either league and not both at this time.

Lots of good things happening but still a long way to go yet..

• Like 4

Keep up the good work and fingers crossed everything works out.

July - First time in my kids lifetime (12+16) they have not been to a live speedway meeting - ( covid season apart ) they were taken when in a carrycot and been to nearly every meeting since at Arlington. This  season their first meeting will be The British Final at Belle Vue. Hopefully Tom Brennan makes it. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, M.D said:

a press realise will be issued this week.

I'm keeping fingers crossed, but I'm a bit fearful with the current economic climate etc etc. Main thing is to make sure a comeback that's viable, to me it needs a re think of current levels, we need a league/cost at a level of the NL when we were 'forced' to leave it back in 2019, whether that's NL plus or Championship lower than now, but.......

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gazzac said:

I'm keeping fingers crossed, but I'm a bit fearful with the current economic climate etc etc. Main thing is to make sure a comeback that's viable, to me it needs a re think of current levels, we need a league/cost at a level of the NL when we were 'forced' to leave it back in 2019, whether that's NL plus or Championship lower than now, but.......

I agree, one thing I will say is that the Dugard family will not allow NL racing at Arlington..

47 minutes ago, Marky_Mark said:

Why? Surely they just want a promotion to pay the required rent for every meeting, why would they feel the need to dictate which level you’re racing in?

Probably not at current NL level, the worst I can remember. Make it pre 2019 level and maybe sustainable for a promotion, probably gates not far from Championship level, current NL level certainly wouldn't attract me to do the 100 mile round trip I've been doing with the family for over 20 years( up until our closure) and with my parents in the Moran/ Gordon Kennett era.

Edited by gazzac

Sorry all. We hoped to get this out last night.
Unfortunately, despite our best efforts it is extremely unlikely to happen and we have at this stage, thrown in the towel for 2023. The last hurdle really was the BSPL explaining that they would need our commitment by the end of August, to run next season. We could have asked for more time but it seems, that would have just been delaying the inevitable.
The costs of entering the Championship were simple too much to raise the amount required and the stadium owners were not keen in us running at National League level.
We are devoted fans of the club and although this is most likely over for 2023, we do not want to give up. All the time there is a track at Arlington Stadium, we will want to see speedway there and will be happy to help financially or otherwise, with anyone that wishes to take up the mantel.
We are truly sorry for any hopes that we raised and have now, dropped.