British Speedway Forum

Eastbourne Speedway

M.D

Would take any speedway.

My children are 12 + 16 this is the first speedway season (pandemic apart) they have not been to a speedway meeting. Although they are looking forward to Cardiff SGP and the British Final should tickets ever become available. 

As for Eastbourne let's hope they kind find some significant backing. 

• Like 1

Just now, ruckerroo said:

the prob is the NL is a mile off what it was 5-6 yrs ago

Agreed but the costs are sustainable generally

The championship is tricky doubly so given the Eagles request for assistance/sponsorship. See Birmingham, Newcastle and the last effort of the Eagles for evidence.

2 hours ago, noaksey said:

Agreed but the costs are sustainable generally

The championship is tricky doubly so given the Eagles request for assistance/sponsorship. See Birmingham, Newcastle and the last effort of the Eagles for evidence.

Yes but the set up costs in a lot of areas are still high, need a new air fence, tractor all of the track equipment is old and by the time 2023 comes round will have been left sitting there unsed for 18 months.

6 hours ago, M.D said:

Yes but the set up costs in a lot of areas are still high, need a new air fence, tractor all of the track equipment is old and by the time 2023 comes round will have been left sitting there unsed for 18 months.

I see the issue. Those costs apply whether it is Prem or Ndl. I guess that many other Ongoing  costs such as first aid, ref’s fee, ambulance are the same whichever league you are in. Saving is riders’ wages etc. And is the rent the same no matter which league? CL is where Eagles need to be. The NDl is nothing like the standard it was in 2018 when Martin and Connor delivered the title.

20 hours ago, FromBendThree said:

I see the issue. Those costs apply whether it is Prem or Ndl. I guess that many other Ongoing  costs such as first aid, ref’s fee, ambulance are the same whichever league you are in. Saving is riders’ wages etc. And is the rent the same no matter which league? CL is where Eagles need to be. The NDl is nothing like the standard it was in 2018 when Martin and Connor delivered the title.

There will be an interview in this weeks Speedway Star explaining a few things..

• Like 1

I hope you and associates are successful.

One thing the last 10 months have shown me is how easy it is to ‘forget’ speedway. Saturday nights have revolved around Arlington for almost 20 years but with no other speedway in the vicinity, other things have taken its place.

I no longer log in to this site or the BSPL to see what’s going on, I have no team to support. When I watch the coverage on Eurosport I can see, as an outsider, what a challenge it is to get folk interested. The meetings are drawn out and take far too long. Sam Ermolenko is not very articulate and for all his experience hopeless at media duties. Kelvin Tatum is brilliant, knowledgable and well spoken but unfortunately he is one man band. Abbi tries hard but overdoes the enthusiasm a little.

It really does show that speedway is a spectacle that needs to be experienced live, the sounds, smell and sheer speed cannot be captured on TV.

I, for one, will be beating a track to Arlington as soon as you are up and running. Good luck.

• Like 3

On 6/21/2022 at 4:38 PM, M.D said:

There will be an interview in this weeks Speedway Star explaining a few things..

Appears Eastbourne fans will have to dig very, very deep to get speedway back at Arlington. Article shows the task ahead is a mammoth one. Also says long term deal for stadium use is not certain. Anyone know if the banger racing track off A23 near Gatwick could run speedway too? Would give a greater catchment area

50 minutes ago, ruckerroo said:

Would one of those 4 be you, MD ? very best of luck with attempting to get speedway back at arlo  if it is you 

Yes it is mate, Im Mark and Thank you

Edited by M.D

1 hour ago, Hackett said:

Good to see The Argus giving the Eastbourne Eagles situation some publicity. Good luck to all involved - £150,000++ + anybody got a tractor ??? 

That is the start up costs but as the article states, we are some way down that road already and talking to potential sponsors for next season..

6 hours ago, M.D said:

That is the start up costs but as the article states, we are some way down that road already and talking to potential sponsors for next season..

Hi there, very best of luck to you. I sure am missing my visits to Arlington this season, and it’s been one of my favourite tracks for many years.

I’ll keep everything crossed for you but that’s a whopping start up cost and then it was already loss making.

Interesting to read that the rent is double what you expected, does that mean the landlord has increased it since last season or it purely means that you estimated it and it was far more than expected.

Any thoughts on doing a share scheme? 100 fans buying in at £1000 each for example?

5 hours ago, Marky_Mark said:

Hi there, very best of luck to you. I sure am missing my visits to Arlington this season, and it’s been one of my favourite tracks for many years.

I’ll keep everything crossed for you but that’s a whopping start up cost and then it was already loss making.

Interesting to read that the rent is double what you expected, does that mean the landlord has increased it since last season or it purely means that you estimated it and it was far more than expected.

Any thoughts on doing a share scheme? 100 fans buying in at £1000 each for example?

Hi and Thank you,

The Dugard's have doubled what the previous promotion paid in rent but its in line with a lot of tracks now..

We are exploring every avenue but at the moment we are trying to see what sponsorship will be pledged before we do anything else.

Edited by M.D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, M.D said:

Hi and Thank you,

The Dugard's have doubled what the previous promotion paid in rent but its in line with a lot of tracks now..

We are exploring every avenue but at the moment we are trying to see what sponsorship will be pledged before we do anything else.

Ouch! The previous promotion made a loss and now you want to try and re-open paying double the rent!

Don’t get me wrong you have my full support and I really hope you succeed but it’s going to be incredibly hard to get up and running and break even?

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2022 at 5:05 AM, M.D said:

Hi and Thank you,

........ and I thought the Dugard's were a speedway family but now they are out, business is business!

31 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

........ and I thought the Dugard's were a speedway family but now they are out, business is business!

That's a bit harsh really, if it was a pure buisness decision then they wouldn't want speedway at the venue. It costs money with staff etc and they would be happy just running cars that they make money out of without the aggravation of running speedway.

They are very supportive and the rent is realistic and a lot lower than most clubs, they are happy for us to run the sport at the stadium and thats a big positive..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1