British Speedway Forum

Poole 2022

5 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

That's not my point though. You have completely missed it. If I was Orion I would be going whhhhoooosssshhh right now. But I'm not, so I won't. The point was someone thinking Basso hasn't said it and I'm pointing out that it has been said he did. Whether he was lying or telling the truth at the time is a different matter. 

I’ve said many times I would to become a millionaire - doesn’t mean it will happen.

He might well of said he wanted to return to Poole and he might well of wanted to. If certain things have prevented him from doing so or he got a better offer, there is nothing wrong in that and that doesn’t make him a liar. He might well of had a list of 4 or 5 clubs he wanted to join, but he has to choose one. To call him a liar is poor form.

12 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

At the press conference after the playoff final apparently they all said they wanted to come back apart from Rory (obviously!!), this is according to a few other Poole fans, maybe a fan who attended it can confirm what Basso said. 

I went to the press conference and don’t remember any rider saying that they wanted to return - because they weren’t asked directly. When the presenter said to the fans something like ‘Wouldn’t it be great to have them back?’ there was, naturally, a very positive ‘yes’ from the floor and the interviews were understandably steered away from putting the riders on the spot.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dickie Head said:

I went to the press conference and don’t remember any rider saying that they wanted to return - because they weren’t asked directly. When the presenter said to the fans something like ‘Wouldn’t it be great to have them back?’ there was, naturally, a very positive ‘yes’ from the floor and the interviews were understandably steered away from putting the riders on the spot.

That's fine then as I said it is just what others have reported that was said and I took it at face value :t:

8 hours ago, Najjer said:

I’ve said many times I would to become a millionaire - doesn’t mean it will happen.

He might well of said he wanted to return to Poole and he might well of wanted to. If certain things have prevented him from doing so or he got a better offer, there is nothing wrong in that and that doesn’t make him a liar. He might well of had a list of 4 or 5 clubs he wanted to join, but he has to choose one. To call him a liar is poor form.

No, I said he was either lying or telling the truth at the time. I didn't say it was one thing or the other. Anyway Dickie Head has said they never got asked that so a bit hypothetical now anyway! 

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

No, I said he was either lying or telling the truth at the time. I didn't say it was one thing or the other. Anyway Dickie Head has said they never got asked that so a bit hypothetical now anyway! 

Either way, it wouldn’t of been lying. Like I said, poor form.

Aside from what may or may not have been said publicly (and my recollection is that Ben did say he would love to return if the fixtures could be sorted out?!), the only people that actually know for sure are Ben and Matt/Danny Ford - plus possibly a couple of his Poole sponsors.

So we've read Danny's comments and now we await the Ben interview in a forthcoming Speedway Star.  Then it'll be  'make your mind up' time!

PS. As much as I dislike giving £2.50 every meeting to Stadia UK, I do however still use the stadium car park as the old legs aren't what they used to be!!!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

I am sure over the years plenty of riders have "loved" to be riding for certain teams.. 

Right up until the moment they get replaced by someone else in a decision taken by the owners to remove them from the team..

Riders are self employed so quite rightly go where the money is best..

Let's be honest, the way the sport is ran that "emotional attachment" is hard for fans to get, so you cannot expect riders to feel too "attached" to any given club.. 

Especially when they usually ride for a couple around Europe, two over here, and can guest for anyone who needs them if their average allows..

Loyalty goes both ways and clubs have the system they deserve due to the way they choose to run the sport.

And what a coincidence it was when the Sky money ran out, and the Polish money rocketed, how many riders suddenly realised that they had too much of a racing schedule to remain riding over here as well...:rolleyes:

Riders (quite rightly), look after No1...

If you are doing the same job then go who pays the most, especially in a  career that could be ended in a split second.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

I am sure over the years plenty of riders have "loved" to be riding for certain teams.. 

Right up until the moment they get replaced by someone else in a decision taken by the owners to remove them from the team..

Riders are self employed so quite rightly go where the money is best..

Let's be honest, the way the sport is ran that "emotional attachment" is hard for fans to get, so you cannot expect riders to feel too "attached" to any given club.. 

Especially when they usually ride for a couple around Europe, two over here, and can guest for anyone who needs them if their average allows..

Loyalty goes both ways and clubs have the system they deserve due to the way they choose to run the sport.

And what a coincidence it was when the Sky money ran out, and the Polish money rocketed, how many riders suddenly realised that they had too much of a racing schedule to remain riding over here as well...:rolleyes:

Riders (quite rightly), look after No1...

If you are doing the same job then go who pays the most, especially in a  career that could be ended in a split second.. 

It’s hard to be loyal to a Club,give your all and be dumped the next season because your average doesn’t fit.Riders have look after themselves, like you say.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Najjer said:

Either way, it wouldn’t of been lying. Like I said, poor form.

Ummm, well one option is telling the truth, the other is telling a lie to keep people happy. So either way one option is lying. 

Or some riders are smart and are a bit more non committal. :t:

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, MANSE said:

What did they say to him

Apparently they said that apparently he wants to ride for them as apparently Poole don’t want him apparently. Plus apparently I’ve heard he apparently can’t reside in England apparently so has to live outside England apparently.

Apparently this post could be a load of rubbish. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Neila said:

Have a look what we have got in this brown bag/envelope for you :D

Was it a bag or an envelope makes a difference between  a lot and even more than a lot so what was it.

Edited by Gazc