British Speedway Forum

Leicester Lions 2022 Line up

Just now, Endeavour said:

Disappointed he verbally agreed to go back to Edinburgh then signed for Leicester. Will miss his points at home. Struggled at Glasgow and a few other alway tracks.

Yeah that leaves a bitter taste. 

Just to clarify not to diminish Richie's ability as a rider he just wouldn't be good signing for my team. Before the abuse starts ha

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KingoftheTrack said:

1 to go then.

1. Nick Morris

2. Connor Mountain

3. Kyle Howarth

5. Richie Worrall

6. Dan Thompson

7. Joe Thompson

If I've done my sums correctly, I reckon that leaves 4.37 left for the final position. That would mean that Dan would remain in the 1 to 5 and not drop back to reserve (his comfort zone). There isn't much out there for that figure. Sarjeant would fit, but no thanks!

• Like 1

Just got a funny feeling Dan n Joe won't be back at Leicester. Dans average especially is high and Stewart Dickson left Connor Mountain last time out stating his average was abit inflated. With Dan n Joe staying Dan would ride at 5 with Joe at reserve. I could maybe see the twins going to Birmingham (if they run) or even Sheffield on a low rising start rule. With the twins in the team I personally think it ain't good enough to win the league and Leicester are a club with ambitions to win it every season. Opinions guys?

49 minutes ago, ScottyJ said:

Just got a funny feeling Dan n Joe won't be back at Leicester. Dans average especially is high and Stewart Dickson left Connor Mountain last time out stating his average was abit inflated. With Dan n Joe staying Dan would ride at 5 with Joe at reserve. I could maybe see the twins going to Birmingham (if they run) or even Sheffield on a low rising start rule. With the twins in the team I personally think it ain't good enough to win the league and Leicester are a club with ambitions to win it every season. Opinions guys?

I think it would be terrible if they were to get rid of either of them. For me they give the club a bit of identity, being relatively local lads (I think) and associated with the club for a number of years now unlike some of the here today gone tomorrow riders we've had since the club came back out of retirement.

I don't see why twins/brothers always seem to come as a job lot either, bogof?   

• Like 1

I think they'll stick with Joe, because his average is low & there is room for improvement, but like you say Dan's average is inflated because of his spell at reserve. When he rode in the main body of the team his scores were disapointing , I know people on here previosly have said he earnt his average which is true, but he got it mainly from reserve, if as expected Howarth is the 4th signing, Dan  wouldn't be at reserve & would find it difficult to maintain that average. It would be like fielding a side with 3 reserves, 1 decent 2nd string & 3 heat leaders. Like you say not good enough to win the league, but do you keep both of them in the hope that they really kick on this year & hope for a play-off spot?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevethelion said:

I think they'll stick with Joe, because his average is low & there is room for improvement, but like you say Dan's average is inflated because of his spell at reserve. When he rode in the main body of the team his scores were disapointing , I know people on here previosly have said he earnt his average which is true, but he got it mainly from reserve, if as expected Howarth is the 4th signing, Dan  wouldn't be at reserve & would find it difficult to maintain that average. It would be like fielding a side with 3 reserves, 1 decent 2nd string & 3 heat leaders. Like you say not good enough to win the league, but do you keep both of them in the hope that they really kick on this year & hope for a play-off spot?

Just an opinion from afar, but if sign a sarj or Rowe you'd start a season with a proven second string at reserve. After which all 3 could potentially swap positions throughout season between second string and reserve. While neither particularly exciting signings, have held their own in 2nd string position over the years. Sarj done it many time in Dickson made teams at Glasgow. Tbh my bigger concern in that make up would be mountain as senior second string, you'd really need him to step up to almost a 6.5/7

4 hours ago, Jaizer said:

Just an opinion from afar, but if sign a sarj or Rowe you'd start a season with a proven second string at reserve. After which all 3 could potentially swap positions throughout season between second string and reserve. While neither particularly exciting signings, have held their own in 2nd string position over the years. Sarj done it many time in Dickson made teams at Glasgow. Tbh my bigger concern in that make up would be mountain as senior second string, you'd really need him to step up to almost a 6.5/7

Agree with you that Mountain is a concern as senior 2nd, but I think he can step up. As for Sargent it would have to be no thanks, he's had enough chances over the years, at least a youngster like Rowe has got room for improvement. But I'd still have concerns over the makeup of any team with Dan in the main body, although like you say he would probably swap during the season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KingoftheTrack said:

I do agree with the majority though that Dan would be a bad signing on his average. 

Dan should be retained simply because he will improve on his 2021 average due to more than maintaining his home record and increasing his away numbers due to learning from previous visits at tracks where they were his first time. 

• Like 2