British Speedway Forum

Glasgow v Poole/Poole v Glasgow. Playoff Final 2/4th Nov 2021.

Gives a little wriggle room if there’s a rainoff. Downside is Poole will have to travel from Glasgow to Poole Tuesday night, get some sleep, then race on Wednesday evening. Riders could well be knackered. 

The 2 main finals, crammed in at the arse end of the season like this is rubbish, and will affect attendances.

6 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Gives a little wriggle room if there’s a rainoff. Downside is Poole will have to travel from Glasgow to Poole Tuesday night, get some sleep, then race on Wednesday evening. Riders could well be knackered. 

The 2 main finals, crammed in at the arse end of the season like this is rubbish, and will affect attendances.

Get with the program. Happened in championship for years. Complaints fall on deaf ears at the powers that be so get used to it

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

IMO should only be the Wednesday night tie as its the ko cup final, the other one as far as I'm concerned is a non-event as Poole won the league and are league champions, Glasgow runners-up, as I don't believe in the playoffs system.

If they insist on still having playoffs next season then they should reduce the number, as others have said its nonsense that whoever finishes mid-table in 6th can potentially still be champions.  They want to make their minds up is it a league tournament or a knockout cup tournament.  The other thing of course being to schedule the season so that thy make use of the summer months fully and not have a summer break in league fixtures, and finish everything earlier so we don't have the most important matches crammed into the coldest and wettest couple of weeks at the tail end.  Although that's maybe too sensible for our glorious sport.

• Like 1

I do believe in the playoffs. Poole are not Champs until we win the final. But top 4 teams only, not 6. Much time has been wasted with the quarter finals. Unnessasary. These playoffs could and should have been already finished.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Cookiefan said:

I agree, not a fan of the play offs however they are here and we need to abide by it, in saying that I would be delighted if Glasgow won, however we are so inconsistant, at least it is the top 2 teams in the final

Yes and hopefully get to see Marcin at Poole! As much as I like Edinburgh, it would have been hard to take to lose to a 4th placed team!

Just now, Jaizer said:

This is Glasgow not Edinburgh :rofl:

Lol, I can't keep up! So many times I have nearly done this and checked at the last minute and changed the team name!

Okay then they might have a point, with the 16+ , though poles are generally good at Poole. So could be a real battle between Marcin and Basso!

I agree on top 4 rather than top 6 for playoffs, but I also understand why it’s top 6. It does mean there’s more speedway top watch, and if the season starts when it should next year, perhaps it will be easier. Perhaps.

Really looking forward to the final, not least because when Poole visited at the start of the season, it was streaming only (I think). Will be nice to see in person, even if it will be cold. Forecast is grim but Tuesday’s forecast is only for light rain at the moment, so a little improvement might make the difference, as it did this week. I’m trying to be optimistic.

• Like 1

Never a fan of p.offs to be honest.  Performance over the entire season should be what counts ...not just over 30 heats in a sudden death final.  This season Poole would have been league champions. p offs running in early winter i n the mud are hardly a good advert for speedway.

If the TV sponsors want to have their cameras at a "grand final " meeting then by all means have a "p off"  called the BT Sports Trophy or something.

• Like 2

Going to be really tough for Poole on a wet Tuesday night in Glasgow. Rory Schlein got injured on the first bend of heat one, and Ben Basso has never seen the place. We need to keep it to ten or less and the team are capable. Let’s hope the rain stays away for both meetings and it’s played out fairly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Mon the pirates two big 20 point wins please.

I'll take a loss within 10! Think we lost by 14 before but Ben Cook did well. However he's slightly lost form atm. Hope Basso likes it! Need to keep Marcin quiet;)

Also could depend on who is guesting at reserve? Might be Zach?