British Speedway Forum

Andrew Edwards Book & Peter Collins

keepturningleft

1 hour ago, waiheke1 said:

For the VERY top riders, the number of teams didn't really make a difference, as they would beat pretty much everyone anyway (and of course Eric's 84 average was artificially low due to his initial struggles to adapt to the new tape rules). Hans and Eric both increased averages again in 86. 

Yes , Erik’s average was low in 84 due to tape exclusions, partly due to struggling with the new rules and partly through Cradley lowering their early season averages to strengthen the team after it was decimated by the massive 83 team. !!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, falcace said:

Evocative stuff. Thanks for the memories! I can see from an Ipswich perspective, it would have been a lot of fun coming to Hyde Road and hammering us. From this young Aces fan though, it was no fun watching a team that had been brilliant all year suddenly looking very amateurish. :blink:

You probably felt how I felt on the journey home after the absolute stuffing you dished out in the league fixture!

And how it's felt being an Ipswich fan these past 20 or so years.....

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Just started reading the book having received it as a present.

Showing potential as a light read...hoping that it gets more controversial as I delve deeper!

Also got it for Christmas. Nearly finished it, doesn't really progress beyond "light read." Arguably the most controversial bit is the foreword from PC...

• Like 1

Just finished the book. Some of it I wasn't particularly interested in as I have no interest in other forms of motorcycling however the chapter regarding trialling Honda engines was interesting...apparently it was never going to succeed due to hostility towards the inovation from certain quarters.

Shame that Andrew quoted BBC showing "Time Team" when in fact it was Channel 4!