British Speedway Forum

Plymouth Gladiators 2022

9 hours ago, Arthur54 said:

What's up with the good old sawdust 

Genuine question, so why was sawdust done away with to soak up water/dry track out, having watched speedway since the late 70's it was always used to in those days to get a meeting on, saw many a meeting at Foxhall saved by a few bags of sawdust.

21 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

Funny. You think the grand monarch would ever do us any favours :rofl:.

From what I picked up on BSN he said the Plymouth riders in particular were unhappy about the state of the track so thats that conspiracy theory debunked 

as always there are conflicting accounts - this from the Plymouth Devils forum from someone who is usually very balanced in views but who apparently was there-:

the appointment of a scottish ref for a match featuring a scottish team in Devon does seem both very strange and leaves SCB open to criticism, fairly or unfairly. It's a bit similar to the 2019 Glasgow ruccus at Eastbourne which from memory was based on similar track concerns that boiled over (which it didn;t do last night thankfully) but which on the occasion had been allocated to a trainee ref for one of his first full meetings. Surely a neutral midlands based ref (someone like Barbara Horley as an example) who stands no messing would have been a wiser appointment.

An evening of disappointment, personally disappointed to miss out on an evenings top notch speedway entertainment, but probably even more disappointed for the promotion, who must surely have taken a serious financial hit over this. Once again rider power won the day, with some riders obviously not very happy following their track walk, it's not always nice to see a couple of riders 'crowding' a referee in the middle of a track, but tonight we had a group of six riders doing exactly that, with one rider (could he have been the main instigator I wonder) making his feelings obvious talking to team mates in the van car park, all in full view and hearing of the paying public, sadly as well as the promotion taking a hit, the assembled supporters were the other losers on the night, I have purposely not named anyone in the above paragraph, but all I can say is none of the above riders hinted at were due to wear blue/yellow kevlars during the meeting. All eyes will now turn to the Friday/Saturday meetings against the Bears that like to sit in the woods and the black and gold mauraders from the wild North lands.

19 minutes ago, HGould said:

as always there are conflicting accounts - this from the Plymouth Devils forum from someone who is usually very balanced in views but who apparently was there-:

the appointment of a scottish ref for a match featuring a scottish team in Devon does seem both very strange and leaves SCB open to criticism, fairly or unfairly. It's a bit similar to the 2019 Glasgow ruccus at Eastbourne which from memory was based on similar track concerns that boiled over (which it didn;t do last night thankfully) but which on the occasion had been allocated to a trainee ref for one of his first full meetings. Surely a neutral midlands based ref (someone like Barbara Horley as an example) who stands no messing would have been a wiser appointment.

An evening of disappointment, personally disappointed to miss out on an evenings top notch speedway entertainment, but probably even more disappointed for the promotion, who must surely have taken a serious financial hit over this. Once again rider power won the day, with some riders obviously not very happy following their track walk, it's not always nice to see a couple of riders 'crowding' a referee in the middle of a track, but tonight we had a group of six riders doing exactly that, with one rider (could he have been the main instigator I wonder) making his feelings obvious talking to team mates in the van car park, all in full view and hearing of the paying public, sadly as well as the promotion taking a hit, the assembled supporters were the other losers on the night, I have purposely not named anyone in the above paragraph, but all I can say is none of the above riders hinted at were due to wear blue/yellow kevlars during the meeting. All eyes will now turn to the Friday/Saturday meetings against the Bears that like to sit in the woods and the black and gold mauraders from the wild North lands.

All I'll say to that is a Mr Andersen has previous

And that James is neutral to the point of bias against us in 95% of his decisions!! Hence his nickname 

Edited by Jaizer

28 minutes ago, Jaizer said:

All I'll say to that is a Mr Andersen has previous

And that James is neutral to the point of bias against us in 95% of his decisions!! Hence his nickname 

All the Plymouth riders were prepared to give it a go,hans included. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, HGould said:

I can tell you Both sets of riders agreed in the pits  that it was pretty dangerous nothing to do with the referee really  the part that was soft and spongy was on the riders line entering turn one and any rider hitting it would have picked up and sent them straight into the fence if it was a bigger track you could have maybe rode around it 

2 hours ago, kevin bass said:

Genuine question, so why was sawdust done away with to soak up water/dry track out, having watched speedway since the late 70's it was always used to in those days to get a meeting on, saw many a meeting at Foxhall saved by a few bags of sawdust.

Sawdust hasn’t been done away with. Poole used exactly that to dry up certain sections of the track last week to get the meeting with Redcar on. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jaizer said:

Funny. You think the grand monarch would ever do us any favours :rofl:.

From what I picked up on BSN he said the Plymouth riders in particular were unhappy about the state of the track so thats that conspiracy theory debunked 

But he is in charge of appointments of referees what is he doing 300 miles from home with a scottish club its just madness.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, daz9100 said:

Sawdust hasn’t been done away with. Poole used exactly that to dry up certain sections of the track last week to get the meeting with Redcar on. 

Plymouth used all theirs to dry out a certain rider 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Anytime have been to glasgow " jim" is always in the pits do u really think he can be that unbiased?

His decisions against Glasgow in the past will prove yes he is biased, but not in our favour!! Just have to look at bassos exclusion a few weeks ago to see that. 

10 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

Having a Scottish ref in a meeting involving a Scottish team is no stranger than having an English ref in a meeting involving an English team.

Some people come up with the weirdest nonsense.

U cant be tall as that comment has gone right over your head:D

17 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Every right to be tbf. Especially as we got ours on last week with an hours amount of track work.

Be honest lisa. Would the remedial work have been carried out if the meeting was over a month earlier(no school holidays) or council visit?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Be honest lisa. Would the remedial work have been carried out if the meeting was over a month earlier(no school holidays) or council visit?

Probably had an impact yes, but Poole track better prepared these days. Before they sorted the track out last season at end of August, I'd say no way would it be on. Also I think Redcar staying down after Plymouth rain off might have made them work harder to get it on. Also Charles Wright seemed keen if they could sort the track out. Definitely helps if riders are positive while track work is being done! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1