British Speedway Forum

Plymouth Gladiators 2022

8 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

That takes the biscuit :rofl:

Back in the day many football matches in winter were saved by fire braziers on pitch to keep frost out. 

I've seen speedway tracks lit light that in Scandinavia and also helicopters bought in to hover above track. 

Give them credit for trying

Lewy all I’m moaning about was why let people in then you wouldn’t have all the hassle about refunds etc and people wouldn’t have spent there hard earned money in there not knowing there was a problem only to hear that it’s off bang on start time never have I moaned about our promotion but not everyone in this climate can afford to spend money and see nothing let’s agree to disagree on this one and move on to next week the last thing we need is me and you arguing the Poole fans will love that.

4 minutes ago, HGould said:

Back in the day many football matches in winter were saved by fire braziers on pitch to keep frost out. 

I've seen speedway tracks lit light that in Scandinavia and also helicopters bought in to hover above track. 

But not in this day! Not sure there is any way of defending it.

I must say the Speedway Shambles twitter account is having a field day with this! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HGould said:

What's up with the good old sawdust 

23 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I must say the Speedway Shambles twitter account is having a field day with this! 

He must be making all of his 726 followers  accumulated over 5 years of tweeting really chuckle…  We can all only dream of achieving so much.

Edited by MalDon45
Error
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

But not in this day! Not sure there is any way of defending it.

Wtf is the speedway shambles twitter page. 

Is it that nutjob Mark Robinson? 

31 minutes ago, Mike0310 said:

Lewy all I’m moaning about was why let people in then you wouldn’t have all the hassle about refunds etc and people wouldn’t have spent there hard earned money in there not knowing there was a problem only to hear that it’s off bang on start time never have I moaned about our promotion but not everyone in this climate can afford to spend money and see nothing let’s agree to disagree on this one and move on to next week the last thing we need is me and you arguing the Poole fans will love that.

Can only assume that they opened the gates with refs knowledge. 

Can anyone there confirm if there were feverish efforts before the call off for an hour or so, or did it just happen very quickly? 

Having been at the track tonight, I can confirm that every effort was made to get this meeting on. Several tractors working hard on the track to try and get it in a fight state. The biggest disappointment of them all is for the riders, staff and the excellent crowd that was building for this huge meeting tonight. Mark and his track staff did everything they could but it wasn’t to be. Whilst I understand everyone’s frustrations, including everyone who was at the track tonight, we should think first before offering too broad a comment. British Speedway doesn’t need infighting, it needs supporting and offering views such as banning Plymouth or fining them does nothing to help that. Unfortunate how the evening has played out but we must move on. I accept it is not a good look to those turning up for perhaps their first meeting etc but sadly this was the hand that was dealt to us Gladiators tonight :(

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Biscuits would have been useful. Few dozen packs of crackers crunched up would dryed that up in no time.

I once saw custard powder used on the Poole track.

(After that it was like a dessert :rofl: )

• Haha 2

Feel for everyone who attended tonight , yes we can blame whoever we want but as people are stating the riders don’t want to ride  and I’m being serious if they feel it’s not safe  then let’s leave it at that ,it’s them that are risking damage to themselves and there machinery

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Noelinho said:

Moving on is fine, but to go from “everything’s fine” to “meeting cancelled” in 5 minutes is dreadful. You have to communicate better than that. Good on Jim McGregor explaining on BSN but it seems pretty amateur hour overall. 

So a scottish referee calls the meeting off with a scottish team their,i bet cami brown was well involved like he was at newcastle a few months ago,am sorry but about time riders remembered the throttle works both ways!.our fav sport is on its last legs,a fan for over 50 yrs i cant get excited by a possible return of the comets.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Biscuits would have been useful. Few dozen packs of crackers crunched up would dryed that up in no time.

Can't you dry out a wet phone by putting it in rice?...

If so, maybe a few kilos of Basmati spread on the track might do the trick? 

Basmati could become the official designated rice to be used as laid down in the regulations, (and endorsed by an ex world champion), but there obviously will need some supplementary regs, re when a. "guest rice" could be used if the local supermarket didn't have enough Basmati to fully do the trick.....

As you wouldn't want this type of scenario for example...

"Tonight unfortunately Basmati rice cannot be here due to Tesco's running out, but instead we have fortunately managed to get some Long Grain arrive at the last minute. However tonights opponents are challenging whether the use of Long Grain is allowed given the extra length it has over the rice it is replacing, therefore there will be a delay whilst the referee inspects the rice and holds discussions with the two captains and managers"...

Or Pasta? 

Could we use Twists maybe?..

Or Spirals if no Twists?...

(Not Spaghetti, as too long and we would be in the same kind of Basmati/Long Grain controversy)...

Or Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubank?

Monkey Tennis!!!!!!!?

.:rolleyes::D

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, geoff100 said:

So a scottish referee calls the meeting off with a scottish team their,i bet cami brown was well involved like he was at newcastle a few months ago,am sorry but about time riders remembered the throttle works both ways!.our fav sport is on its last legs,a fan for over 50 yrs i cant get excited by a possible return of the comets.

Funny. You think the grand monarch would ever do us any favours :rofl:.

From what I picked up on BSN he said the Plymouth riders in particular were unhappy about the state of the track so thats that conspiracy theory debunked