British Speedway Forum

Plymouth Gladiators 2022

7 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

It is,but that’s Speedway for you.Just enjoy the racing the results are meaningless.

You say that..

But it would still be good to see the Plymouth Bears/Diamonds/Tigers/Pirates/Brummies/Scorpions/Lions/Monarchs/Cheetahs/Bandits Gladiators in the play offs... :D

Edited by mikebv

11 hours ago, Fromafar said:

End of season by the looks of it.

I'm pretty sure once Atkins' ban for withholding service is over Plymouth will have to sign a replacement.

My guess on the other two is that while their prognosis or return date remains uncertain we will continue to have a facility to use. But I'd be shocked if we didn't sign Morley until Gilkes returns (if indeed he does this season).

While I don't know specifics I do know Plymouth are actively looking at replacements for both short and long term however it's not always easy with the low availability of riders and the politics in the continued farcical world of the BSPA.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

I'm pretty sure once Atkins' ban for withholding service is over Plymouth will have to sign a replacement.

My guess on the other two is that while their prognosis or return date remains uncertain we will continue to have a facility to use. But I'd be shocked if we didn't sign Morley until Gilkes returns (if indeed he does this season).

While I don't know specifics I do know Plymouth are actively looking at replacements for both short and long term however it's not always easy with the low availability of riders and the politics in the continued farcical world of the BSPA.

Has Atkins  got aNDL Team place.? Don’t think Champoinship Clubs will be queuing up for him with that attitude.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Plymouth can always have Ablitt when Poole give him the push ?

What about 'Keleher' ?

If there are available riders to sign .... then I don't think guests should be permitted.

Just because a rider is alive and breathing doesn't mean they are available. I'm aware of Plymouth courting at least one rider and genuinely saying "name your price" and still not able to get them to sign, so I believe they are trying very hard to replace Kennett. The only way around these issues is Squads. and squads don't work in the UK because the sport cannot afford squads. Squads only happen with big signing on fees, that's the only way a rider is prepared to make themselves available for work and not be employed while someone else is riding.

• Like 1

What about 'Keleher' ?

If there are available riders to sign .... then I don't think guests should be permitted.

What do you mean when. ?? 

I'm expecting Ablitt to be at Poole for the season.:t:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What about 'Keleher' ?

Hopefully we won't see Birmingham using guests for auty then :nono:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lewy said:

Hopefully we won't see Birmingham using guests for auty then :nono:

Hopefully not !

We have only used one once out of the 3 available meetings? not that I'm too bothered either way. I think we may have done what was most cost effective to the Club, as opposed to what effect it would have on the meeting outcome.

52 minutes ago, wtf said:

Just because a rider is alive and breathing doesn't mean they are available. I'm aware of Plymouth courting at least one rider and genuinely saying "name your price" and still not able to get them to sign, so I believe they are trying very hard to replace Kennett. The only way around these issues is Squads. and squads don't work in the UK because the sport cannot afford squads. Squads only happen with big signing on fees, that's the only way a rider is prepared to make themselves available for work and not be employed while someone else is riding.

I didn't say or specify by what an available criteria should be ?

To clarify....I would expect a new signing to have a similar average and a similar contract/terms etc....

I wouldn't expect a club to have to cough up extra money etc....just like for like IF available.

I honestly don’t understand what all the fuss is about using guests. Plymouth started the season with a full 7 riders and have lost 2 to serious injuries and 1 rider has quit the team so the situation is not of their own making.

We know from pre season that teams were struggling to even fill their teams so there isn’t going to be a long list of riders out there to replace them with.

As a spectator, I would rather spend my money going to to a meeting and watching a team with guests if needs be in order to make it a good meeting to watch with similar strength teams on track rather than punish their misfortune.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

What do you mean when. ?? 

I'm expecting Ablitt to be at Poole for the season.:t:

Would have thought he would be, young, met, maybe exceeded expectations and will only get better. 

• Like 1

2 confirmed new reserves full time for Plymouth. 

Ben Morley and Harry Mcgurk.

Ben is an obvious one and we know rides the home track well and Harry is by all accounts a bright prospect and hopefully he can add and develop.

search for a number one continues but can’t be disappointed with the effort mark and Gary are putting in by trying at-least 16 different riders 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Doners123 said:

2 confirmed new reserves full time for Plymouth. 

Ben Morley and Harry Mcgurk.

Ben is an obvious one and we know rides the home track well and Harry is by all accounts a bright prospect and hopefully he can add and develop.

search for a number one continues but can’t be disappointed with the effort mark and Gary are putting in by trying at-least 16 different riders 

Probably the best available. Ben has proven this season and in previous years that he's very good at Plymouth, although I don't think he'll do much away. As for Harry he's probably the best NL rider out there not with a team and I wish him all the best. Good luck to them both!

• Like 1