British Speedway Forum

Has Kelv put his heating on yet?

13 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

Having watched the Premier League Speedway on Eurosport this season I'm wondering how I'm going to survive the winter without the Nige and Kelv show. Will anyone one else feel bereft? Will be interested to know what other viewers think of their banter!

Often it is more entertaining than the racing.:)

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Tbh it's wearing a bit thin.

Have not heard anyone better in the 20 years I've listened... It might be the fact that in the GP's they've not been trackside this season so the latest gossip isnt available as it would be if you were having a beer with everyone the night before... Therefor me also thinks this year its been wearing thin.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Can anyone afford to put their heating on?

Earlier this week the wife put the electric fire on in the lounge. An hour later she had the windows open. Let’s say “I was not very happy”.                
We on Calor gas where I live. Todays post informs me it is going up by approx 5% in ten days time. I suspect this is just the start of energy price increases.

My view well known.  Kelvin is ok, he knows speedway and is not usually afraid to air an opinion.  I find Pearson bland, repetitive, frequently wrong with his calls and somewhat stuck in the 80s with anecdotes and too much of a suck up man to the speedway powers that be for my liking. 

But... and I can't believe I am going to say this, alongside Kelvin it actually works, together they work. Kelvin's like a lovely flavouring sauce that  makes Pearson edible. :D

• Like 1

Speedway is a sport with 'downtime', like cricket, cycling etc and therefore there is going to be a fair amount of 'non-action' time to fill.  Imo the job of the commentary team is to provide a conversation you can be drawn into, like pulling up a seat at the pub.  A mix of sporting chat and general chitchat works well and I reckon Nige and Kelv do a good job of it.

Spot on.

You don't get commentary whilst watching live in the stadium, so if you don't like the commentary, simply turn the sound off. There, solved.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Need to appeal to a younger demographic (see coverage of, basically, every other sport in existence) - these tired old catch phrases and cliches need to be put out to grass. 

High octane sport and you have a couple of middle age dad dancers going through their shtick for the thousandth time. 

25 minutes ago, HenryW said:

For me, Kelvin and Nigel are a great combination on comms.
I have listened to lots of speedway commentary over many years, but I am not sure I have heard a better combination than those two.
They talk some nonsense to fill gaps, they both make mistakes and mock each other...but when it comes down to it, they both show their excitement for the sport in their vocal reactions, and I love that.
I don't want to listen to a monotone description of what is happening, I want someone to show enthusiasm and excitement in their description of what is happening....and Nigel and Kelvin deliver that for me.

I agree. Having grown up on some of the great cricket commentators, I quite enjoy the waffling! For me me, they are far superior to Tony Millard "stealing a march" and PC's "Henrik Gustaffersson". Even the great Dave Lanning made mistakes. So?

The wonderful thing about Nigel is not only the fact that he is a great guy, but he is a TRUE speedway fan, unlike Alan Weekes.

For their critics, you have to realize that like everything else in this world, commentating is totally different to what it was 40 and 50 years ago. Individuals like Kenneth Wolstenholme and Ted Lowe are a thing of the past.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, chunky said:

I agree. Having grown up on some of the great cricket commentators, I quite enjoy the waffling! For me me, they are far superior to Tony Millard "stealing a march" and PC's "Henrik Gustaffersson". Even the great Dave Lanning made mistakes. So?

The wonderful thing about Nigel is not only the fact that he is a great guy, but he is a TRUE speedway fan, unlike Alan Weekes.

For their critics, you have to realize that like everything else in this world, commentating is totally different to what it was 40 and 50 years ago. Individuals like Kenneth Wolstenholme and Ted Lowe are a thing of the past.

To me, that is very important and can't be overstated.. You can usually tell the difference between a speedway presenter or announcer who actually loves the sport and someone who is merely hired to do the job. 

Dave Lanning, perhaps, is the best example of that. 

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

I've rarely heard the aforementioned as I don't subscribe to satellite/cable TV but I watch very little sport on TV now as I got fed up with the over analysis and constant action replays and camara shots up your nostrils and shouting commentators. Kennnth Wolstenholme got it right when he said that less is more and let the action do the talking. I have some speedway DVD's where Colin "whatshisname" (once of "Tape-o-Sport") constantly jabbers away and it drives me insane!

Edited by steve roberts