British Speedway Forum

Cardiff 2022

4 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

I’ve no doubt that it’s better to see it live and be caught up in the atmosphere.

Everyone was complaining about the lack of atmosphere for most of the meeting, but I could certainly feel it during the final!

17 minutes ago, chunky said:

Look, we ALWAYS want it to be good, but sadly, it rarely is... I don't blame it on temporary tracks, just the fact that the machinery has "progressed" (and I use that term very loosely) to the point where the bikes can only be ridden on concrete, and the riders don't have a clue how to ride on dirt because of what the crazy power the bikes have. As I said earlier, if you TRULY attack the track (like Bewley and Holder did), you CAN make it work.

As Crump and Hancock both said, there were a lot worse tracks back in the day - and I can only agree with them...

But even Bewley and Holder couldnt make an impression when behind after the first half a lap.

You could well be right that the bikes and the way people ride nowadays are to blame but I just feel that Cardiff has run its course now, we have arguably the best track in the world albeit with a limited capacity in Manchester and enough good racetracks in the world to do away with Cardiff, Prague, Teterow etc and have much better racing across the series. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I just feel that Cardiff has run its course now, we have arguably the best track in the world albeit with a limited capacity in Manchester and enough good racetracks in the world to do away with Cardiff, Prague, Teterow etc and have much better racing across the series. 

Again, I can't argue that. The thing that bugs me is why did we plan a "National" speedway stadium with such a limited capacity. No, it didn't have to hold 80,000, but still... It didn't even have to be permanent, but just be able to expand when necessary...

Edited by chunky
  • Like 2

Just didn't enjoy that despite the amazing result.

Speedway like most good sports works on a number of levels, either on track close racing action, or crashes, or unpredictability, or a close exciting result, or even technically.

Despite the excellent result the track was so poor I just couldn't get into it.

A great platform for the sport but not a great advert for it imo.

PS get well soon Tai

Edited by enotian
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I knew everyone would be complaining, but I had a great time.

Took my son's mate, who is 18. He loved it too and couldn't believe how skilled they were.

By the end he was booing Madsen for taking his time choosing a gate position and chanting "Bewleeey, Bewleeey" along with everyone.

Sorry about that.

So did we.  OK there was no overtaking but we saw a Brit win the British GP, everyone round us was enjoying themselves and now back at the hotel and people celebrating in the bar, chatting to anyone and everyone from speedway tracks up and down the country. For goodness sake can't anyone on here have a good word to say about Dan and stop going on about all the negatives of todays meeting.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

Fantastic track yes, but even with a temporary stand in place, Belle Vue can only accommodate about 12,000, nowhere near a typical Cardiff attendance.

Cardiff is an all day event with bars, cafe's and the fanzone all part of the experience.

Belle Vue is in a dump of an area in Manchester called Gorton, well away from the city centre, which has absolutely nothing to offer travelling fans part from the meeting itself.

Well away from the city centre? Wot bunkem!!!

You can walk to the city centre in 30 minutes because I've done it!

Train station 5 minutes walk from the stadium, 5 mins train ride to Manchester Piccadilly.

Very good bus service from Hyde Road, again a 5 minutes walk away.

And they cud run special shuttle buses for speedway fans from & back to the city centre.

Not rocket science!

The capacity may be smaller but it will be FULL.

And Glasgow is welcomed by the FIM so u could have the proposed second British GP there. 

Manchester & Glasgow 2 major cities that actually have speedway teams unlike Wales that as ermmmmm how many???

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

So did we.  OK there was no overtaking but we saw a Brit win the British GP, everyone round us was enjoying themselves and now back at the hotel and people celebrating in the bar, chatting to anyone and everyone from speedway tracks up and down the country. For goodness sake can't anyone on here have a good word to say about Dan and stop going on about all the negatives of todays meeting.

Plenty people are congratulating Dan on his fantastic win.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

I have already congratulated Dan then u av to consider the wider watching audience especially after the fiasco of the British Final that I attended.

You have to remember that the GP is being shown worldwide & u av to think of the overall impact it as on trying to attract people to attend.

Imagine you live in Australia or anywhere in Europe, would u really want to fly over for that turdge! Seriously would u?

If your not British wot are u left thinking about the winner?

I won't ever be going to Cardiff again!