British Speedway Forum

Wildcards 2022

3 minutes ago, Ghostwalker said:

Kubera is 22, Gleb Chugonov is 21......and they didn't do too bad.

I won’t disagree with you, Kubera did well riding on his own track - twice. For sure they proved a youngster can do it once, maybe twice, but for a whole season, Lamvbert has shown it is a tough year.  I repeat, where is Drabik and Smektala, these were the top under 21’s for a few years, they got Wild cards, but conspicuous by there absence. We’re they in the GPChallenge, it’s either GPChallenge or Euro Champ for them to qualify by right.

Just now, OveFundinFan said:

I won’t disagree with you, Kubera did well riding on his own track - twice. For sure they proved a youngster can do it once, maybe twice, but for a whole season, Lamvbert has shown it is a tough year.  I repeat, where is Drabik and Smektala, these were the top under 21’s for a few years, they got Wild cards, but conspicuous by there absence. We’re they in the GPChallenge, it’s either GPChallenge or Euro Champ for them to qualify by right.

Emil was 19 when he started in the GPS in 2009 and finished 3rd that year. Think maybe depends on the rider rather than just age

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Drabik can`t ride when suspended can he !!!!!

On 9/15/2021 at 2:45 AM, SPEEDY69 said:

Not necessarily.  Those who've had several years in it but still got nowhere should not be getting wildcards

Agree. What frustrates me is older riders in the series who rarely fire a shot, have already got in for the following year via the GP Challenge. 

12 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

That should apply to all riders (Including current GP-riders) then, do away with the wild cards and keep 1 wild card if someone of the top riders fall out because of injury.

Edited by Ghostwalker

14 hours ago, KingoftheTrack said:

Thomsen & Lambert haven't done anything to deserve a wildcard imo and I think the line-up needs freshening up big time.

Locks imo

Vaculik should get one because his campaign was wrecked by injury. 

Madsen should get one because he's been battling niggling injuries this year and he's much better than his performances this year suggest.

Doyle has to get one imo. Poor GP campaign but he's been flying in Poland and Sweden to prove he's still capable of beating GP riders on a regular basis.

The other two places should go to a couple of the following.

Nicki Pedersen (If he changes his mind and wants one) 

Dominik Kubera (Yes I know we've got too many Poles as it is but he's proven that he deserves a pick after his performances in the GP's this year, It's better to pick riders on merit rather than nationality because you'll just end up with filler riders like this year which isn't good viewing.)

Jack Holder (A fresh face in the GP's who's improved as a rider year on year and I think he should be given a chance to compete in the GP's over a Robert Lambert for example who got his chance this year.)

Martin Smolinski (Why not throw a German rider into the mix who happens to be a former GP rider and a GP round winner.) 

Smolinski? Jeez and u'd put him ahead of Lambert!?! 

That's very progressive thinkin I must say! :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, severnsider said:

Emil was 19 when he started in the GPS in 2009 and finished 3rd that year. Think maybe depends on the rider rather than just age

Indeed. Bartosz on the GP podium at barely 17 too. I'd agree in general, a full GP season for most youngsters is too much. 

• Like 1

I think madsen and doyle are certs 

think thomsen will get a pick after finishing 3rd in Russia 

lambert s finishing with 3 semifinals in  the last 3 gps should see him get a pick 

and due to his injuries I d expect them to give vaculik a pick   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KingoftheTrack said:

Thomsen & Lambert haven't done anything to deserve a wildcard imo and I think the line-up needs freshening up big time.

Locks imo

Vaculik should get one because his campaign was wrecked by injury. 

Madsen should get one because he's been battling niggling injuries this year and he's much better than his performances this year suggest.

Doyle has to get one imo. Poor GP campaign but he's been flying in Poland and Sweden to prove he's still capable of beating GP riders on a regular basis.

The other two places should go to a couple of the following.

Nicki Pedersen (If he changes his mind and wants one) 

Dominik Kubera (Yes I know we've got too many Poles as it is but he's proven that he deserves a pick after his performances in the GP's this year, It's better to pick riders on merit rather than nationality because you'll just end up with filler riders like this year which isn't good viewing.)

Jack Holder (A fresh face in the GP's who's improved as a rider year on year and I think he should be given a chance to compete in the GP's over a Robert Lambert for example who got his chance this year.)

Martin Smolinski (Why not throw a German rider into the mix who happens to be a former GP rider and a GP round winner.) 

Some strange choices, but probably due to the real lack in depth nowadays in the sport. No real great star in Denmark and only Freddie in Sweden.

You'd ( I mean the authorities) probably keep Vaculik just because it is another country that might never get a rider in the top echelons again. Same with Zagar

8 minutes ago, KingoftheTrack said:

Different nationalities.

Something for the German market and fans.

Yes that is true but what is the point of having a rider who will be odds on to finish in the bottom 3 of the series as a wild card pick. He won a GP but he is a one hit wonder. 

Latvian rider Andzejs Lebedevs would be a far better option than Smolinski. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

SGP qualification is an easy process. 

SGP Top 8

The remaining 7 from combining highest averages from Ekstraliga & Elitserien 

Which funnily enough would give 14 of the same riders that most people seem to be expecting. The one change would be Piotr Pawlicki for Przedpelski.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arnieg said:

Which funnily enough would give 14 of the same riders that most people seem to be expecting. The one change would be Piotr Pawlicki for Przedpelski.

Shows they're clearly the best 15 in the World then, which is exactly what the series should be 

• Like 3