British Speedway Forum

Speedway GP`s 2022 under Discovery Sports events

• 4 months later...

Well, that's the first season of the "new era" under Discovery Sports Events... and I'm far from impressed. They seem to have taken the sport back about 20 years! They've lost most of their major sponsors, crowds appear to be amongst the lowest we've ever seen for a GP series, some badly prepared tracks, they've almost killed Cardiff, the racing has generally been, I'll be polite, forgettable, series wrapped up before the final GP, incomprehensible scoring system, no Aussie GP and Russian GP (understandable), neither were replaced in the calendar. Terrible TV coverage often missing the racing when there was some, inaccurate and random captions, horrible noise over EVERY replay.

Still the pits look nice and some people have said they've enjoyed the post meeting fireworks!

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Lefty said:

They're doing a great job in getting us back to the one off World Final :D

Suits me sir 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chunky said:

I'm beginning to realise that "speedway fans" actually aren't interested in "speedway". They just want everything their way - the way it was 60 years ago... :(

Please don’t include me in your not interested in speedway group. I am very interested in speedway but just found it more enjoyable in the 60’s and 70’s. I am not alone in holding this view.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Please don’t include me in your not interested in speedway group. I am very interested in speedway but just found it more enjoyable in the 60’s and 70’s. I am not alone in holding this view.

I have said before that I liked the World Finals. However, it was the most flawed system possible; we just didn't realise it because we didn't know anything else

Do you really want to go back to a system that was never designed to qualify the best riders in the world?

Where qualification was based more on nationality than ability?

Where everybody rode in a different amount of meetings?

Where a couple of good rides could make you the "best rider in the world"?

It did seem more enjoyable back then, but when you look at old videos from back in the day, the racing was generally no better than what we see today.

• Like 1

I liked the one of world finals in the 60’s/70’s, even though Wembley was not the best race track and the only “away” world final I saw was 1976, Katowice, went specifically to see PC win it, and he did.               
Now I can see 10 “world finals” in one year, generally the 15 best riders in the world at that point in time.            
Going back to a 1 meeting world final would be a backward step IMO.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Eagle69 said:

I know they are a main sponsor but am sick to death of the constant monster bottles being thrust at us on screen, seems to me that monster Joe has made a takeover of the riders.

I'm not sure they are the main sponsor anymore

On 10/7/2022 at 10:24 AM, iainb said:

I'm not sure they are the main sponsor anymore

They are the official energy drink partner (whatever that means).

"Together with Monster Energy, we have agreed that they will collaborate with us as our official energy drink partner for 2022, no longer as series presenting partner."

9 minutes ago, DutchGrasstrack said:

They are the official energy drink partner (whatever that means).

"Together with Monster Energy, we have agreed that they will collaborate with us as our official energy drink partner for 2022, no longer as series presenting partner."

Correct... i believe they used to sponsor the series though?