British Speedway Forum

Speedway GP`s 2022 under Discovery Sports events

1 minute ago, ArthurRudge said:

What model is it?

I've looked it up (did find the model no but can't recall it off the top of my head) and its not modern enough to carry the necessary apps, checked on various techy help sites and I'm not the first to find this, the 10 there are the only ones available with no search facility.

Its nothing horrendous, I have a choice of buying add ons, watching it on a tablet or hoping highlights/later showings get played on Eurosport, or this BT deal that's been mused comes to fruition. I'd have been more irritated if this had happened 10-15 years ago when I was massively into the GP's.

Without sounding like a caveman (which I undoubtedly am) I don't feel making it complicated (imo) to watch a sport is necessarily a good thing, you're not going to attract new fans that way. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, crumpiefan said:

I've looked it up (did find the model no but can't recall it off the top of my head) and its not modern enough to carry the necessary apps, checked on various techy help sites and I'm not the first to find this, the 10 there are the only ones available with no search facility.

Its nothing horrendous, I have a choice of buying add ons, watching it on a tablet or hoping highlights/later showings get played on Eurosport, or this BT deal that's been mused comes to fruition. I'd have been more irritated if this had happened 10-15 years ago when I was massively into the GP's.

Without sounding like a caveman (which I undoubtedly am) I don't feel making it complicated (imo) to watch a sport is necessarily a good thing, you're not going to attract new fans that way. 

Don’t hold your breathe hoping the BT deal will be anytime soon, they talking about end of the year if it comes to fruition.

The technology is no problem to the younger generation, so it wouldn’t put of the attraction to youngsters if they so inclined to be interested.

Is the model number on the back of the telly.

24 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Don’t hold your breathe hoping the BT deal will be anytime soon, they talking about end of the year if it comes to fruition.

The technology is no problem to the younger generation, so it wouldn’t put of the attraction to youngsters if they so inclined to be interested.

Is the model number on the back of the telly.

I think its a KDL 40WD653........having looked on various forums that appears to be just too old for Google Play etc so that blocks any idea of downloading the app.

I agree the technology isn't a problem to the younger generation, my point was more along the lines of the way they are promoting this you almost have to 'find' it as opposed to it being offered to you in a way many will see, its an obscure sport at the best of times.

Still, that's how it is, I'm not going to jump through hoops to watch it.

But thankyou for all the help and advice, I appreciate it.

Edited by crumpiefan
Missed the last paragraph out.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, crumpiefan said:

I think its a KDL 40WD653........having looked on various forums that appears to be just too old for Google Play etc so that blocks any idea of downloading the app.

I agree the technology isn't a problem to the younger generation, my point was more along the lines of the way they are promoting this you almost have to 'find' it as opposed to it being offered to you in a way many will see, its an obscure sport at the best of times.

couldn't agree more. all the talk from discovery is about growing the product/series. I imagine it can only grow if you're growing the fanbase to.

what casual viewers are you going to attract on discovery sport.  those who have access to it either have been given it free as part of a package and will hardly use it or have it specifically for Speedway (existing fans)  or another sport of the channel (Tennis, Track Cycling?) who might stumble on SGP.

at least on Eurosport the access is much wider and the variety of sports shown much wider and higher profile (at this point).

I suppose the numbers of subscriptions/viewing figures will decide what happens but if those viewing figures are niche sponsors will react. 

Maybe they're hoping the PL coverage will act as an advert for the SGP. On that basis it would help if the were more SGP stars in the PL.  I suppose half the league have one so that's maybe enough.

What is the situation in Poland? Have the rights been sold to one of Polands main broadcasters? Or do the Poles need to purchase Discovery Sport as well?

I do like the sound of what Discovery are looking to do with the series with more off track content but I do worry it'll not attract the figures they're looking for. Then the intended investment/improvements are abandoned and the series stagnates for the rest of the contract.

Presumably FIM were okay to have their flagship speedway competition being moved to a less accessible platform. Or did the money talk?

39 minutes ago, crumpiefan said:

Yes it’s a bit of a pain, my three favourite sports are Speedway, MotoGP/2/3, and world superbikes. Would be nice if Sky had them all, or BT, or Discovery etc, sadly it doesn’t happen these days, everyone wants our money, and their is only so much to spread around.

To Enotian, Discovery is very broad with its sports, it has been covering the Olympics much more then say BBC did. It’s covering snooker at world level (just showed the first major championship from Turkey which Trump won with amazing skill). Plus other sports I not interested in. But they also do BBC player, ITV, loads of educational channels, then there are loads of films (not that I am interested). You could, if you wanted watch Discovery rather than the 5 major channels. It is not just a few sports. So to get it at £29.99 on offer, of £59.99 for proper 12 month price could be considered good value especially when compared to the TV licence fee that we must pay.

2 hours ago, enotian said:

couldn't agree more. all the talk from discovery is about growing the product/series. I imagine it can only grow if you're growing the fanbase to.

what casual viewers are you going to attract on discovery sport.  those who have access to it either have been given it free as part of a package and will hardly use it or have it specifically for Speedway (existing fans)  or another sport of the channel (Tennis, Track Cycling?) who might stumble on SGP.

at least on Eurosport the access is much wider and the variety of sports shown much wider and higher profile (at this point).

I suppose the numbers of subscriptions/viewing figures will decide what happens but if those viewing figures are niche sponsors will react. 

Maybe they're hoping the PL coverage will act as an advert for the SGP. On that basis it would help if the were more SGP stars in the PL.  I suppose half the league have one so that's maybe enough.

What is the situation in Poland? Have the rights been sold to one of Polands main broadcasters? Or do the Poles need to purchase Discovery Sport as well?

I do like the sound of what Discovery are looking to do with the series with more off track content but I do worry it'll not attract the figures they're looking for. Then the intended investment/improvements are abandoned and the series stagnates for the rest of the contract.

Presumably FIM were okay to have their flagship speedway competition being moved to a less accessible platform. Or did the money talk?

Rumoured to be on TVN Poland- a free to air channel owned by Discovery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

Yes it’s a bit of a pain, my three favourite sports are Speedway, MotoGP/2/3, and world superbikes. Would be nice if Sky had them all, or BT, or Discovery etc, sadly it doesn’t happen these days, everyone wants our money, and their is only so much to spread around.

To Enotian, Discovery is very broad with its sports, it has been covering the Olympics much more then say BBC did. It’s covering snooker at world level (just showed the first major championship from Turkey which Trump won with amazing skill). Plus other sports I not interested in. But they also do BBC player, ITV, loads of educational channels, then there are loads of films (not that I am interested). You could, if you wanted watch Discovery rather than the 5 major channels. It is not just a few sports. So to get it at £29.99 on offer, of £59.99 for proper 12 month price could be considered good value especially when compared to the TV licence fee that we must pay.

Thanks. I don't watch too much content from the 5 main channels. In addition to your three favourite sports I also like my football, rugby union and cricket. Then you chuck in Netflix, Spotify, (i don't have Amazon Prime) and the odd couple of months of Disney plus, possibly BSN.  It all adds up. I'm lucky I can afford to subscribe to them all but then as it becomes safer for me to do so I'll like to do stuff other than watching TV. You can easily see if the Discovery sport platform  doesnt offer the range of mainstream content the series can easily become even more marginalised as it is now.

13 hours ago, crumpiefan said:

There's a whole host of other ways you could watch the GP's on your older tv...

The app can be downloaded to a PS4 or PS5 (and Xbox I assume).  The app is on Sky Q.  Download the app to a mobile device (such as an IPad or iPhone) and cast it to your telly by way of a Chromecast.  Buy a Firestick (from Amazon or Argos) and download the app.  Download the app to your laptop and cast it to your telly by way of a Chromecast.

Surely you can do one of those!

1 hour ago, chris4gillian said:

The app can be downloaded to a PS4 or PS5 (and Xbox I assume).  The app is on Sky Q.  Download the app to a mobile device (such as an IPad or iPhone) and cast it to your telly by way of a Chromecast.  Buy a Firestick (from Amazon or Argos) and download the app.  Download the app to your laptop and cast it to your telly by way of a Chromecast.

I suggested that a few posts ago. He will need Chromecast device, or I suggested a Roku box, I bought a new shop return for £32 the other week, just a tatty box. New in shop circa £60. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chris4gillian said:

Yes, you're right, there are options and thankyou for explaining them, same as Ove Fundin Fan, it is appreciated.

I don't have Sky Q and in all honesty I have to admit I've reached the point where I just think its not worth it to but a firestick or a Chromecast purely to watch the GPs, my feeling now is somewhat 'oh I can't be bothered any more, why not just broadcast the damn thing in an 'orthodox' way.

As I've mentioned earlier, the new promoters seem to be making it less and less accessible, or at least less 'in your face' which I find puzzling........it will make a marginal sport even more marginalised.

But genuinely, thanks for all the help.

• Like 2

Just now, crumpiefan said:

Yes, you're right, there are options and thankyou for explaining them, same as Ove Fundin Fan, it is appreciated.

I don't have Sky Q and in all honesty I have to admit I've reached the point where I just think its not worth it to buy a firestick or a Chromecast purely to watch the GPs, my feeling now is somewhat 'oh I can't be bothered any more, why not just broadcast the damn thing in an 'orthodox' way.

As I've mentioned earlier, the new promoters seem to be making it less and less accessible, or at least less 'in your face' which I find puzzling........it will make a marginal sport even more marginalised.

But genuinely, thanks for all the help.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, crumpiefan said:

I don't have Sky Q and in all honesty I have to admit I've reached the point where I just think its not worth it to but a firestick or a Chromecast purely to watch the GPs

The thing to remember is that the cost of a Chromecast is minimal, and you can actually use it for a lot more than just the GP's. Possibly the best $35 I've ever spent!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chunky said:

The thing to remember is that the cost of a Chromecast is minimal, and you can actually use it for a lot more than just the GP's. Possibly the best $35 I've ever spent!

I'm sure it is, but as speedway is (now) the sole reason, its just too much of a pallava to be perfectly honest.

I might then need another adaptor or another splitter as my HDMI ports are all being used and I just think oh stuff this, too much trouble for 20 odd heats, I'll watch highlights days or weeks later.

I have Sky Q and a Sony top of the range TV with built in Play store etc etc, so explain to me I have Eurosports channels as they are free on my package I also have BT Sports package, Netflix and all that shizzle!

So I have the Discovery app on my TV,  so are we saying then that all live Speedway is going to be shown on this Discovery streaming channel and that current Sky Q customers can get 12 months free but doesn't include the sport? If not what is the cost of this?

Also I saw someone mention Eurosport as airing the live Speedway as well as that is free to me does no one no what this is going to be on for definite as it all seems a little vague and stupid to me, I cannot see this attracting anyone new to the sports if you have to jump through hoops and pay more just for Speedway.

Appreciate any replies thanks.

On 3/16/2022 at 8:27 AM, chris4gillian said:

I would go the extra expense and go for a Nvidia shield pro and never have a problem with streaming. If you go down the firestick route do not overload it and do your maintenance.A good app is Def Squid for cleaning etc.Good Luck

53 minutes ago, ArthurRudge said:

I have Sky Q and a Sony top of the range TV with built in Play store etc etc, so explain to me I have Eurosports channels as they are free on my package I also have BT Sports package, Netflix and all that shizzle!

So I have the Discovery app on my TV,  so are we saying then that all live Speedway is going to be shown on this Discovery streaming channel and that current Sky Q customers can get 12 months free but doesn't include the sport? If not what is the cost of this?

Also I saw someone mention Eurosport as airing the live Speedway as well as that is free to me does no one no what this is going to be on for definite as it all seems a little vague and stupid to me, I cannot see this attracting anyone new to the sports if you have to jump through hoops and pay more just for Speedway.

Appreciate any replies thanks.

As far as i can ascertain the Premiership will remain on Eurosport but the GP`s/SON will be live on the  Discovery  plus streaming Channel but highlights might appear on Eurosport later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello gang, I don’t make a habit of posting here these days but I thought my input ‘might’ hopefully be useful to a few of the visitors to this site to help clarify..

[Having historically been an Exeter and subsequently Somerset supporter I now find myself without a club again, **** happens right.]

For 2022

1. I’ve signed up for the BSN streaming service (£109) https://watch.britishspeedway.co.uk/ and can use the browser on my XBOX to view all of the Championship content on that service. I assume there’d be no issue doing the same from the web browser on a playstation. I’ve bookmarked the site and left it signed in. It works seamlessly as I’ve watched the rider interviews the BSN have posted pre-season. This gets me 35 or so Championship meetings, Live and Catch-Up in full on my TV. Yay.

2. I’ve bought a ‘Chromecast with TV’ dongle from Argos for £59.99 (which is about what I’d have spent on ONE night of Speedway at Somerset factoring in travel costs, alcoholic drinks -I wasn’t driving- entrance fees and a bag of chips). Once I’d plugged that into my TV’s HDMI port and then searched for the discovery+ app on the Play Store (tip: dictate ‘open play store’ in Chromecast) and downloaded that. I signed up for one year of Discovery+ which cost me £59.99 for the Annual Sub, signed into the Discovery+ app I downloaded on Chromecast and job done. This means I can watch Eurosport full coverage of the 2022 GP’s AND the Premiership meetings all-in (Live and Catch-Up in full on my TV).

Some of you will no doubt think this is excessive cost-wise but as mentioned I’m going to get WAAAAY more Speedway meetings to watch in 2022 and I’m feeling good about that despite losing my club and has turned my frown upside down. I think it’s a very good investment personally and am happy to be able to continue to support British Speedway.

Some/most of you might have access to the discovery+ app natively on your TV’s app store which will save you the £59.99 for the dongle For those of you that don’t there’s the ‘Chromecast with TV’.

I hope this provides a simple solution to those of you who find themselves in a similar situation to myself. Fill your boots.

Here’s to another great season! Best wishes to all.

Cameron

p.s. The Eurosport section within Discovery+ will show full meetings as part of your Discovery+ subscription not just highlights folks. 

Edited by 10mass
Clarity