British Speedway Forum

Birmingham v Poole. 1st September 2021

13 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Cook a gating tart? Lmao. You obviously missed the race when he passed 2 in one move then at Poole. Everyone is a gating tart at Brum it seems apart from King. But that is the track rather than the riders. 

Have you ever been to Perry Barr? I know the answer but I'll ask out of politeness.

Just now, lisa-colette said:

I was going on Steve's report of King making the only pass. 

Riss passed Schlein, it wasn't a typical night, everything seemed subdued after the heat 1 incident.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gmarsbar2 said:

Why was Ben Cook riding at 4 tonight? Has he ridden 4 away meetings? Per BSPL green sheet @ 01/09/21 he is still on 4pt assessed average and Stefan Nilsen on 4.51

Was Gary Havelock the team manager tonight? 

I was certainly surprised at the change in riding order last night - I assume insisted upon by the referee as it wasn't in any of the match previews nor printed in the programme!!.

I was under the impression that Ben Cook completed his 4 home/4 away meetings during Poole's win at Edinburgh last Friday (The one where Havvy was Team Manager!) which would have meant a new average 7 days later (I thought that was the rule, as it was after the 23rd August cut-off for September averages?) ie for the home meeting on Friday v Glasgow not last night!?

But what do i know? I wonder if Neil Watson might care to comment?

5 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I was certainly surprised at the change in riding order last night - I assume insisted upon by the referee as it wasn't in any of the match previews nor printed in the programme!!.

I was under the impression that Ben Cook completed his 4 home/4 away meetings during Poole's win at Edinburgh last Friday (The one where Havvy was Team Manager!) which would have meant a new average 7 days later (I thought that was the rule, as it was after the 23rd August cut-off for September averages?) ie for the home meeting on Friday v Glasgow not last night!?

But what do i know? I wonder if Neil Watson might care to comment?

It was his 4th home meeting he was waiting to complete, which was last Wednesday against newcastle.

Eastbourne, Glasgow, Plymouth and Redcar were his 4 away meetings.

6 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

It was his 4th home meeting he was waiting to complete, which was last Wednesday against newcastle.

Eastbourne, Glasgow, Plymouth and Redcar were his 4 away meetings.

That would explain it then - although doesn't explain why Brum and Poole both had Cook still at reserve in their respective previews and it wasn't updated in the programme.

Edited by Skidder1

7 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

That would explain it then - although doesn't explain why Brum and Poole both had Cook still at reserve in their respective previews and it wasn't updated in the programme.

Probably because they used the GSA released on 28/08 and the new one hasn't been released yet. Remember previews and programmes are written a few days before

1 minute ago, Marshall07 said:

Haha yes, but they'll use the declared teams which are due in 5 days before

Poole's website, social media and in particular their twitter are all updated regularly so I still don't see how they weren't made aware of the changes by the morning of the meeting!!?

3 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Poole's website, social media and in particular their twitter are all updated regularly so I still don't see how they weren't made aware of the changes by the morning of the meeting!!?

It was maybe the ref that brought it to the attention of the managers? As he'd have access to the very current GSA?

4 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Maybe something or nothing but bspl website latest set of averages have cook's average from 1st Sep still as 4.00. presumably must be a mistake as referee had different figures?

1 minute ago, Marshall07 said:

It was maybe the ref that brought it to the attention of the managers? As he'd have access to the very current GSA?

I heard before midday yesterday about possible changes to the riding order. Strange to say the least.

Dan Ford in the Echo today said the track was really heavy and had caught Stef out and he couldn't turn the bike. Also said if they didn't do extra track work Poole riders wouldn't have carried on. 

Also said the track got to a rideable stage. Apparently they were worried about the track before H1. 

Edited by lisa-colette

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Dan Ford in the Echo today said the track was really heavy and had caught Stef out and he couldn't turn the bike. Also said if they didn't do extra track work Poole riders wouldn't have carried on. 

Also said the track got to a rideable stage. Apparently they were worried about the track before H1. 

This is correct. Only heard one Poole rider saying he didn't want to ride and was moaning before the track walk... All the others were happy with regular grading which would have happened if it wasn't for the delay early on. The track needed to be attacked and the likes of King, Riss, Harris and others did this and had some good close racing. The track was well watered to combat the dust problem but with lots of cloud cover it never really dried to produce the excellent surface of recent weeks. 

Poole are safely in the play offs and were never going to put their necks on the line with bigger meetings coming up. I thought some races were good, some not so good, a typical speedway meeting that you find at every track up and down the country, not just Birmingham! 

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

He was just making excuses. The 'extra track work' which was carried out was just a few passes with the usual grader. As for Stef couldn't turn the bike: everyone else could do it. He actually ran into Grobauer trying to overtake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1