British Speedway Forum

BHM - Aces/Wolves double header.

1 hour ago, hagonshocker said:

Holder Batchelor Ellis Howarth Pickering top 5 ....no not stronger than Tigers in particular especially as Sheffield have Stefan Nielsen at reserve and he's in Pirates 1-5 but certainly would agree about being stronger than Ipswich etc 

Bit pointless him making that statement as who would of ridden for Poole as all there HLs are long serving riders with there present premiership teams 

1 hour ago, hagonshocker said:

Holder Batchelor Ellis Howarth Pickering top 5 ....no not stronger than Tigers in particular especially as Sheffield have Stefan Nielsen at reserve and he's in Pirates 1-5 but certainly would agree about being stronger than Ipswich etc 

Neilsen is at reserve for Poole on Friday.

18 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Well as they are all pretty much the same riders, there cannot be much difference between the two leagues, therefore quite possibly a Div 2 team with three Div 1 Heat Leaders wont be "too far away" if they rode as Poole in Div 1.

However..

Having individuals racing against themselves in the same race for both teams, might even be a bit far fetched for even UK Speedway to think up a regulation which allows it... 

Wouldnt surprise if they have thought about it though... ;):D

That’s not the point I was making. The strength of the Poole team as it stands would hold its own in the “top” flight, when in truth there’s really nothing now between the two leagues. I remember the days back in the 70’s when a NL number one struggled to hold down a second string/reserve berth.

There’s no doubt in my mind we are heading for one league, perhaps with a north/south divide.

13 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

That’s not the point I was making. The strength of the Poole team as it stands would hold its own in the “top” flight, when in truth there’s really nothing now between the two leagues. I remember the days back in the 70’s when a NL number one struggled to hold down a second string/reserve berth.

There’s no doubt in my mind we are heading for one league, perhaps with a north/south divide.

Two leagues for me...

One "top league" and one similar to the pre Covid NDL level..

No point in making teams pay out what they cannot afford just to make up one league.. 

This happened this season with Div Two, hence we are where we are..

Far too many clubs whose attendance would support an NDL team successfully, were in at a level that was the strongest it had been for years...

Just to ensure riders got enough rides.

And you can guarantee that if one league existed, some Promoters would ensure they still got the best of the deal and let those lesser teams end up fighting for scraps..

And therefore, paying out daft money just to compete, as rider demand exceeds supply..

And we would be in a similar situation this time next year to where we are now.

Edited by mikebv

Another good day out at the NSS Belle Vue, good racing, viewing and all round one of the best experiences in British Speedway, even managed a quick chat with fellow Cumbrian Dan Bewley.

Also there must have been around 20 Comets fans in attendance in the packed crowd, it just shows that Speedway can be successful in the UK given the right ingredients....

Edited by topaz325
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Which begs the question why isn’t Poole in the Premiership. ?

4 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

How would it be one league with a North South divide?

17 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

The table is one league table but you don't play everyone in that table just half of them and top 4 meet for playoff SF or top 8 meet for playoff QF.

So one league table where everyone don't ride each other,i find that a bit weird tbh.Would this only be in speedway this would happen,if it is it would make perfect sense:D

6 minutes ago, tellboy said:

So one league table where everyone don't ride each other,i find that a bit weird tbh.Would this only be in speedway this would happen,if it is it would make perfect sense:D

The US Conference system doesn't have everyone playing each other..

Maybe Speedway could do something like that?

Eg 4 times v the teams in your North Conference and 2 times v the teams in the South?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tellboy said:

Only way I can work it with a North/South divide whilst still having one league! Or you could have 2 separate tables and top 2 or 4 from both meet for playoffs.

21 hours ago, acef said:

Not the worst meeting for Monmore. It’s a difficult track and isn’t suited to today’s rider. That said I’ve seen worse over the last few years here.

BV have an issue in the middle of this team. Both Worralls have been poor, and today was the worst I’ve seen from Steve for a long, long time. He was nowhere near quick enough at the NSS and for whatever reason that carried onto the return fixture on a completely different track which has previously suited him. There are no reasons sometimes, whenever he puts a BV race jacket on he suddenly becomes an amateur rider. Odd.

Bewley was excellent across the day and only had one blip off gate 3 which clearly wasn’t working. He looked down on power in heat 13, I don’t know if anyone noticed that but it was weird. I almost felt like fatigue was kicking in, he was struggling to hang onto the bike. Maybe just me.

Wolves look very good, but can certainly be beaten. They will pick us in the semi, which will probably be the end of us. If they were to pick someone else I’d actually fancy us to make the final.

Compared to Belle Vue's last visit to Monmore, the racing last night was not of the same standard.  What made last night better was the atmosphere, which was electric - as is always the case when Wolves and Belle Vue meet

23 hours ago, R87 said:

When?  It's been garbage all season and has been for years.  

Haven't been since Peter Karlsson's retirement meeting and not for a league match for at least 10 years. Just because I don't particularly enjoy it, doesn't mean the racing can't be good. The problem these days is that it's pretty much unique in it's size & shape. Most riders visit it once or twice a year so never learn how to ride it.

11 hours ago, wtf said:

You just can't stop yourself can you? :) The one place Batchelor can ride is Monmore. 11+1 and 12+1 this year. I'd be the first to agree if you said he couldn't ride Sheffield.:t:

If you call gating & locking up twice per corner in an attempt to not get passed on 'Karlsson corridor' being able to ride Monmore fair enough, I wouldn't.

10 hours ago, Col said:

Haven't been since Peter Karlsson's retirement meeting and not for a league match for at least 10 years. Just because I don't particularly enjoy it, doesn't mean the racing can't be good. The problem these days is that it's pretty much unique in it's size & shape. Most riders visit it once or twice a year so never learn how to ride it.

If you call gating & locking up twice per corner in an attempt to not get passed on 'Karlsson corridor' being able to ride Monmore fair enough, I wouldn't.

It's a very frustrating track to watch at must admit, it's a shame also that everyone is packed into one straight....

18 hours ago, topaz325 said:

Another good day out at the NSS Belle Vue, good racing, viewing and all round one of the best experiences in British Speedway, even managed a quick chat with fellow Cumbrian Dan Bewley.

Also there must have been around 20 Comets fans in attendance in the packed crowd, it just shows that Speedway can be successful in the UK given the right ingredients....

it was a p1ss poor crowd for a BHM match against the Champions elect

Edited by iainb