British Speedway Forum

Five tracks you never got to but wish you had

BOBBATH

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Did you give speedway a miss Doris from 1980 for a while..?

30 year break Sid..early 70s Swindon, starting going again 2004.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 11:12 AM, auntie doris said:

30 year break Sid..early 70s Swindon, starting going again 2004.

You're probably the only person who missed Les Collins' entire career!!! 

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, chunky said:

You're probably the only person who missed Les Collins' entire career!!! 

I heard about crowds of 17000 at The Abbey, people locked out, Brits being top of the world, then the Americans and Danes reigning in the 80s. Riders such as Nielsen, Gundersen, Penhall, Ermolenko, Crump. Who was this Les Collins guy?:DWhen I returned 30 years later Wimbledon, Ackney, Mauger, Briggs, Olsen, had disappeared, Poole and Coventry were top 2, and you couldnt buy year bars or rosettes anymore. GPs at a stadium in Cardiff instead of one'off finals! 

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

I heard about crowds of 17000 at The Abbey, people locked out, Brits being top of the world, then the Americans and Danes reigning in the 80s. Riders such as Nielsen, Gundersen, Penhall, Ermolenko, Crump. Who was this Les Collins guy?:DWhen I returned 30 years later Wimbledon, Ackney, Mauger, Briggs, Olsen, had disappeared, Poole and Coventry were top 2, and you couldnt buy year bars or rosettes anymore. GPs at a stadium in Cardiff instead of one'off finals! 

There was a lot more than that few that had bloody disappeared... :cry:

There were teams called Eastbourne, Arena Essex, Peterborough in top div. Oxford were Silver Machine. No Halifax, Exeter, Cradley Heath, Leicester. The worst thing was you had to pay to get in, you couldn't climb in anymore, no second-halves, or special buses.:cry:

Edited by auntie doris
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, auntie doris said:

There were teams called Eastbourne, Arena Essex, Peterborough in top div. Oxford were Silver Machine. No Halifax, Exeter, Cradley Heath, Leicester. The worst thing was you had to pay to get in, you couldn't climb in anymore, no second-halves, or special buses.:cry:

Can you remember Doris the days of over ten buses being outside the Abbey after a meeting a friend of mine often got on the Penhill bus.? Yes climbing over the wall was a done thing for me did it most weeks i used to get over just behind those dreaded legendary filthy toilets then head over to the pits for autographs it was so easy. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Can you remember Doris the days of over ten buses being outside the Abbey after a meeting a friend of mine often got on the Penhill bus.? Yes climbing over the wall was a done thing for me did it most weeks i used to get over just behind those dreaded legendary filthy toilets then head over to the pits for autographs it was so easy. 

That's another thing, the difference between the 60s70s and 21st.century, you could go into the pits and get autographs, and chat to riders, half of them were local lads. You had to be on that green Bristol Omnibus sharpish, as sometimes it left for Cavi Square before end of second half final, normally consisting of Briggo, Broady, Ashby, Kilby. If you were on top deck of bus you could pick out their helmet colours. A 5 year old mascot called Alun Rossiter doing some laps! Those legendary back straight bogs with Izal bog roll:D:blink:Swindon Town in the afternoon, Robins at night. About 30 home meetings a year.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

That's another thing, the difference between the 60s70s and 21st.century, you could go into the pits and get autographs, and chat to riders, half of them were local lads. You had to be on that green Bristol Omnibus sharpish, as sometimes it left for Cavi Square before end of second half final, normally consisting of Briggo, Broady, Ashby, Kilby. If you were on top deck of bus you could pick out their helmet colours. A 5 year old mascot called Alun Rossiter doing some laps! Those legendary back straight bogs with Izal bog roll:D:blink:

You're lucky it wasn't Bronco loo roll  :o

Edited by jrs
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

That's another thing, the difference between the 60s70s and 21st.century, you could go into the pits and get autographs, and chat to riders, half of them were local lads. You had to be on that green Bristol Omnibus sharpish, as sometimes it left for Cavi Square before end of second half final, normally consisting of Briggo, Broady, Ashby, Kilby. If you were on top deck of bus you could pick out their helmet colours. A 5 year old mascot called Alun Rossiter doing some laps! Those legendary back straight bogs with Izal bog roll:D:blink:Swindon Town in the afternoon, Robins at night. About 30 home meetings a year.

At that time Doris there was a cheap and expensive side , we used to go on bend two on the bank was never keen watching at the starting gate.I think that gate that separated the two sides was opened after heat 10 great days really and those second halves were terrific.They help mould the  career’s of the likes of  Holloway ( RIP), Hewlett, (RIP), the Chessell’s, the Smar’ts, Rosco, (ect) .Those second halves were hard initially for those lads usually win the scurry or junior race and then bang in with the big boys a real learning curve for them.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
42 minutes ago, falcace said:

Cradley, Wembley, Bristol, Meadowbank, Trelawny.

I feel bad for you. You never got to try the pork and stuffing sarnies, and pork scratchings from Cradley!

Halifax, Wembley, Newport Somerton Park, Trelawny and Belle Vue Hyde Road.

2 minutes ago, frigbo said:

Halifax, Wembley, Newport Somerton Park, Trelawny and Belle Vue Hyde Road.

Wembley was my home track, been to Hyde Road several times, been to Somerton Park  but only for football