British Speedway Forum

Five tracks you never got to but wish you had

BOBBATH

On 8/15/2021 at 3:20 PM, arnieg said:

In the UK: California, Norwich, Southampton, Ellesmere Port and Castleford

Abroad: San Bernadino (original track), Vladivostock, Sydney Showground, Vastervik, Torun

Did Ellesmere Port back in 85 with Wimbledon. To my knowledge, it stayed in existence for many. many years afterwards and was only demolished reasonably recently.

The thing I remember most was the Gunners pub opposite the stadium with its speedway memorabilia. 

12 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I can tell I am getting old because a number of the tracks mentioned I have been to.:(:D

5 for me : Nelson, Trelawny, Romford, Crewe, New Cross.

I did Trelawny twice mate, fantastic little track and venue.

Mine would be Norwich, West Ham, Wimbledon, Hyde Road and Halifax.

• Like 1

West Ham, Wembley, Harringay Hyde Road and Wombwell. The last one so I could have bought a load of their programmes to sell years later for a big profit! Had a dream once that I went to a jumble sale and there was a big box of Wombwell programmes for sale for peanuts.

16 minutes ago, Split said:

And so many wish they had been to New Cross. Maybe we have a lot of members in the London area.

I'm happy to say I watched speedway at both venues.

I went looking for the site of New Cross some years ago and could vaguely make out where the track once was.

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I went looking for the site of New Cross some years ago and could vaguely make out where the track once was.

Found on the Internet:

"The stadium was left derelict for several years until it was demolished in 1975 as part of a plan to redevelop the football ground, although those plans fell through. The site is now a public open space called Bridge House Meadows  "

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, falcace said:

Trelawny, Cradley, Wembley, White City, Long Eaton

I've been to two of those.  Cradley was the track nearest to me growing up.  Trelawny was great, like no other track, it really was like speedway on the moon but with a double decker bus.  

I too wish I'd gone to White City.

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

The last time I was there you could still make out some of the terracing.I also remember in the 80s some of the entrance was still standing

There's a few places where you can still see some of the remnants of the speedway track and/or stadium - Nelson and Hastings spring to mind. 

• Like 1