British Speedway Forum

Five tracks you never got to but wish you had

BOBBATH

3 hours ago, DSC67 said:

Hyde Road, The Shay , The County Ground, Glasgow White City , Old Meadowbank 

Went to the 2 Scottish tracks in’67. Still remember the trips up from London.

24 minutes ago, chunky said:

New Cross, Rayleigh, Norwich, Southampton, Somerset.

First went to Rayleigh in ‘63.

Every track that staged a World Final outside of Wembley, apart from Malmö and Gothenburg as I have already mentioned them in an earlier post. That’s more than 5 though!.

25 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

First went to Rayleigh in ‘63.

Sad that there were London area tracks I never got to, but by the time BL II started, my dad wasn't able to go much because of work. My mum took me to Wimbledon by bus and tube, and we only did odd trips to West Ham and Hackney.

Norwich, Crystal Palace, Walthamstow, Greenford and Clapton (Lea Bridge).

A story about my never going to Norwich. I left school in 1965 and went to Teacher Training College in Norwich. Although I left school in 1965, I'd had to apply for college in 1964, so I applied for Norwich specially so i would be able to go to speedway there. Sadly as we know, Norwich closed at the end of 1964, so I was to remain speedwayless - though I did get along to King's Lynn once!

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

West Ham & New Cross - two old classics that closed down before I started going

Reading (Tilehurst) & Swindon Autodrome - the original versions of two that I regularly attended.

Bristol (Knowle) - with my mum. In the forties. 

9 hours ago, norbold said:

Norwich, Crystal Palace, Walthamstow, Greenford and Clapton (Lea Bridge).

A story about my never going to Norwich. I left school in 1965 and went to Teacher Training College in Norwich. Although I left school in 1965, I'd had to apply for college in 1964, so I applied for Norwich specially so i would be able to go to speedway there. Sadly as we know, Norwich closed at the end of 1964, so I was to remain speedwayless - though I did get along to King's Lynn once!

Sounds similar to my decision making process when it came to Uni. The 5 choices owed more to their proximity to Speedway tracks than the quality of the education they would provide. Was close to going to Leicester or Queen Mary's (for Hackney) but ended up plumping for Kingston and weekly visits to Plough Lane.

As for the tracks I wish I'd been to.....West Ham, Trelawny, Glasgow White City, New Cross, Norwich.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, salty said:

Sounds similar to my decision making process when it came to Uni. The 5 choices owed more to their proximity to Speedway tracks than the quality of the education they would provide. Was close to going to Leicester or Queen Mary's (for Hackney) but ended up plumping for Kingston and weekly visits to Plough Lane.

As for the tracks I wish I'd been to.....West Ham, Trelawny, Glasgow White City, New Cross, Norwich.

Same here I had Oxford, Bristol (running when I applied), Poole (Southampton uni), Coventry (Warwick uni) and Exeter on my UCCA form.

• Like 1

Unlike a few others, I had lost interest in speedway by the time I had to choose where to take my degree. It was between High Wycombe and Kingston. I plumped for Kingston

As for tracks I wish I had visited

Crystal Palace, New Cross, Stamford Bridge (even though there was a track there back in the 70s when I watched footie), Harringay and West Ham