British Speedway Forum

British U19 Final, Mildenhall, 22/08/21

50 minutes ago, Pob said:

Kemp going for a 3rd title , Rowe been brilliant at times this season , Brennan and Palin having great season so far it's a tough call but even thou I'm a Witches fan I think Flint will take some stopping.

Gets better every time I see him race , if I betting my money would be on Leon. 

Flint has crammed quite alot of experience in a minimum amount of time also has gained some valuable experience abroad.Rode at Belle Vue, Birmingham, Berwick and has made great strides he has also really picked up for Wolves.He also has been unlucky at times with some mechanical issues  this year which has cost him for me i will stick with Brennan. Saying that i  don’t mind who wins it should be a cracker of a meeting.

Edited by Sidney the robin

An embarrassing episode for Mildenhall today I’m afraid. Yes, there was a period of rain but nothing significant enough that should’ve resulted in that meeting being postponed. As a previous poster had mentioned, it’s an unforgiving track and the track must be prepared well, especially considering the age of the participants today. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve been to Mildenhall now and watched them have to try and resolve a poor surface. Without a doubt, it was the right call to postpone it before more riders got hurt.

Best wishes to Nathan Ablitt, that was a horrible crash and I hope his injuries are not too severe. 

A real disappointment when looking at today’s line up and hoping for a well contested event. What I believe this does show is why events are consistently held at tracks like Belle Vue and Wolves. You can rely on them not to create a shambles like what was seen today. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Speedway28 said:

An embarrassing episode for Mildenhall today I’m afraid. Yes, there was a period of rain but nothing significant enough that should’ve resulted in that meeting being postponed. As a previous poster had mentioned, it’s an unforgiving track and the track must be prepared well, especially considering the age of the participants today. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve been to Mildenhall now and watched them have to try and resolve a poor surface. Without a doubt, it was the right call to postpone it before more riders got hurt.

Best wishes to Nathan Ablitt, that was a horrible crash and I hope his injuries are not too severe. 

A real disappointment when looking at today’s line up and hoping for a well contested event. What I believe this does show is why events are consistently held at tracks like Belle Vue and Wolves. You can rely on them not to create a shambles like what was seen today. 

Which of course begs the question when Championships are allocated elsewhere

1 hour ago, bigcatdiary said:

Which of course begs the question when Championships are allocated elsewhere

Not really, the less prestigious finals such as this, and the U-21’s are usually given to clubs who express an interest in staging them as they are not likely to make the hosting club a substantial profit.

Totally different scenario for the bigger meetings where there is potential for a larger crowd.

Ok how many if you posting moaning about the track were there  today ?

Yes it may had problems in the past but what track hasn't had problems at times due to the weather.

Track looked ok ,I'm no expert but when you have the rides come out for the parade only for the heavens to open for about 10/15 what can you do? 

That about of rain is always going effect the track , can't do anything about that.

Fair play to the young riders who dispite knowing it was going to be tricky still went out there and have it a go. 

In my visits to West Row when the track was a distinct egg shape and Andy Galvin would do 4 laps without putting his left foot down in one continuous power slide ... I am certain the track surface was diced turnips ( that what the lumps looked like the the track rakers were puliing onto the gate positions of the Hackney riders  :-):-)  We told them too  ;-) and those rakers used some good old fruity language  .... a right old laugh with the boys from suffolk. ;-) ;-)

Always remember Sunday afternoons at West Row withte free airshow from the USAF based at Midlenhall.

32 minutes ago, Pob said:

Yes it may had problems in the past but what track hasn't had problems at times due to the weather.

Track looked ok ,I'm no expert but when you have the rides come out for the parade only for the heavens to open for about 10/15 what can you do? 

That about of rain is always going effect the track , can't do anything about that.

Fair play to the young riders who dispite knowing it was going to be tricky still went out there and have it a go. 

The track was shocking. Yes it rained, but the question is why it took so little rain to make it completely unrideable.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Pob said:

I used to like my trips to Mildenhall but one too many poor meetings and increasing bad reports keeps me and im sure plenty of others away. Its a tricky track to curate given its shape, surface and size. Sadly the new promotion are struggling to get to grips with this.

12 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Brain fart! Scrambled by the strength of the line up, looks arguably stronger than the U21s.

Should be a tough meeting but good experience for him, still got a better chance than Keleher or Goret. 

Both Goret and Keleher out scored Mulford.

Longtrack is a very different beast to "regular" speedway. (Stan Burza (43) qualified for the longtrack GP!)

There were eight falls in Mildenhall's home meeting with Armadale at the start of the month, I asked the question on the match thread at the time about the track but never got an answer, I assume few Fen Tigers fans frequent the forum nowadays. I've seen some fantastic speedway at West Row in the past (was a regular 2006-09) but there have been various reports of the circuit being difficult since then in the third tier. Overnight rain and then more this afternoon won't have helped and the track could have been fine without that, the whole situation is a real shame for everybody. I'm just glad I didn't risk it and travel an hour for what would have been my first meeting of the season, my enthusiasm is at an all time low and today might have been the final straw for me.