British Speedway Forum

GP rounds 3 and 4 Wroclaw Fri/Sat 30th/31st July live on BT Sport

16 minutes ago, iainb said:

I'd say that England was more of a "home" to the likes of Mauger, Olsen & Crump etc than Poland is to Woffinden, Lindgren & Madsen due to the language barrier and different cultures. The riders are only based there the last 2 years due to Covid and now the imposed league restrictions by Poland.

Is it really that different?

I was in Bydgoszcz a month ago working at an athletics event. People speak English, drink beer, eat meat and two veg, same music, same fashion in a relatively affluent Western society. It's a lot different from when I was there in 1992 and I'm sure older fans will concur a lot different from the 70s and 80s. Non-Poles have spent years riding (and in some cases) living there with Polish clubs, not to mention sponsors, mechanics and plenty of people they all know. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chunky said:

They aren't going to put the double-headers at certain tracks just because you want them to. I'm sure several of the tracks just can't host a double-header, or at best, just may not be suitable.

And yes, Zmarzlik would make those moves anywhere, at any time.

Of course they're not going to put double headers on because I want them to... a bit daft to even suggest that!

You're sure some tracks can't host double headers, which ones are you sure about?

You don't think a partisan crowd makes a difference? I think the results in last year's behind closed doors football fixtures shows that the crowd can make quite a big difference to performance. 

1 hour ago, falcace said:

Is it really that different?

I was in Bydgoszcz a month ago working at an athletics event. People speak English, drink beer, eat meat and two veg, same music, same fashion in a relatively affluent Western society. It's a lot different from when I was there in 1992 and I'm sure older fans will concur a lot different from the 70s and 80s. Non-Poles have spent years riding (and in some cases) living there with Polish clubs, not to mention sponsors, mechanics and plenty of people they all know. 

Very few spoke English when I used to go to Zakopane a few years back... have you ever tried to mime sickness and  diarreah to a Polish chemist :unsure:

32 minutes ago, iainb said:

Ah, coming across as a bit of a xenophobe now, how funny of you:nono:

Exactly. That's why I married a foreigner, and live in a foreign country,... :t:

37 minutes ago, iainb said:

You're sure some tracks can't host double headers, which ones are you sure about?

As I said, I am sure not every track could, but which ones, I don't know.

37 minutes ago, iainb said:

You don't think a partisan crowd makes a difference? I think the results in last year's behind closed doors football fixtures shows that the crowd can make quite a big difference to performance. 

1) Where did I say that a partisan crowd doesn't make a difference? You mentioned some manoeuvres by ONE rider, and again, I think he would ride like that with or without a crowd.

2) We are talking about speedway, not football.

27 minutes ago, chunky said:

As I said, I am sure not every track could, but which ones, I don't know.

1) Where did I say that a partisan crowd doesn't make a difference? You mentioned some manoeuvres by ONE rider, and again, I think he would ride like that with or without a crowd.

2) We are talking about speedway, not football.

But you are sure of it? lol

1) you didn't, I said that it does or can make a difference. I did pick one rider out, I could have picked others over the years. Gollob always raised his game in Polish GP's. Bomber won his home GP with a hugely partisan crowd. 

2) I'm talking about human performance in sport. You can stick to speedway if you like if you think it helps your argument... which, of course, it doesn't. 

32 minutes ago, iainb said:

But you are sure of it? lol

1) you didn't, I said that it does or can make a difference. I did pick one rider out, I could have picked others over the years. Gollob always raised his game in Polish GP's. Bomber won his home GP with a hugely partisan crowd. 

2) I'm talking about human performance in sport. You can stick to speedway if you like if you think it helps your argument... which, of course, it doesn't. 

I know that lack of a crowd can affect sports like football and darts, where you are surrounded by the crowd and the noise. The adrenaline rush when it comes to motorsports - I believe - will largely negate that.

Besides, the crowd doesn't have to be supporting you to make a difference; true competitors will raise their game in front of a hostile crowd too. You can benefit from any kind of atmosphere.

Edited by chunky

29 minutes ago, chunky said:

I know that lack of a crowd can affect sports like football and darts, where you are surrounded by the crowd and the noise. The adrenaline rush when it comes to motorsports - I believe - will largely negate that.

Ask true competitors like Nigel Mansell and Lewis Hamilton... or even any Speedway rider who has ridden in front of a crowd