British Speedway Forum

'They Retired Too Soon'

TonyMac

13 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I nearly mentioned the maximum in Mike Keen's Testimonial.  I remember Mike Keen going onto the second bend with a hosepipe and watering the track in the midst of a rain storm!

I remember Gordon Kennett hosing down his bike on the centre green after the meeting!

38 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

And Terry was injured just before the final in a second-half race at Saddlebow Road...my memory says he clipped the fence coming out of the 4th bend.

Long time ago so may have that wrong.

I thought it was at Poole (not one of his favourite tracks) when he broke a collar bone but I maybe wrong?

13 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I thought it was at Poole (not one of his favourite tracks) when he broke a collar bone but I maybe wrong?

Just checked and it was at Poole but you're right that Terry did once brake his forearm in a second half race at Lynn when chasing Malcolm Simmons.

Edited by steve roberts

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Great memories Sid! Quite incredible that Terry only made one World Final but of course the British Final was a difficult hurdle in those days especially when the Aussies and Kiwis were also included!

Betts, Ashby, Wilson ,and both the  Boocock brothers all underachieved on the world scene but we all know just how good they all were.The era then was so strong and to travel abroad on foreign soil was not an easy task then either to see all them ride as geniune number 1 riders was a real privilege.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 8:46 AM, steve roberts said:

Just realised that my two examples are outside the remit! ;)

Still absolutely spot on choices though Steve, albeit different eras. Always a puzzle to me why Knutson went while at the top of game, while still a relatively young man. Maybe Norbold can throw some light on this? Bjorn was I think, only a few months younger than Ivan Mauger and I feel he could well have snatched a couple more world championships from either Mauger, Olsen, Michanek, or the Pole that cheated , before age started to catch up and retirement loomed.

• Like 2

Tricky one...it's not a sport anyone should dabble in. If anyone's having doubts, then they are safer out.

Penhall is the obvious name. But the older I get, the more I see how he got his timing spot on. He was never going to top winning the title at Wembley and defending it in his home city. He got out healthy, wealthy and with a rare career opportunity in front of him. Anyone with half a brain would have done the same in his boots.

Ron Preston was a quality performer and seemingly had a fair few years left at world level. But I understand he had good reasons too.

Lewis Bridger, I think everyone can agree, could and should have done much more if he hadn't kept retiring!

Also, not the same level, but Jamie Luckhurst was a quality rider at NL level when getting out quite young.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, falcace said:

Tricky one...it's not a sport anyone should dabble in. If anyone's having doubts, then they are safer out.

Penhall is the obvious name. But the older I get, the more I see how he got his timing spot on. He was never going to top winning the title at Wembley and defending it in his home city. He got out healthy, wealthy and with a rare career opportunity in front of him. Anyone with half a brain would have done the same in his boots.

Ron Preston was a quality performer and seemingly had a fair few years left at world level. But I understand he had good reasons too.

Lewis Bridger, I think everyone can agree, could and should have done much more if he hadn't kept retiring!

Also, not the same level, but Jamie Luckhurst was a quality rider at NL level when getting out quite young.

For me falcace Penhall was the odvious one he was very lucky in 82 but when he went speedway died in the UK.After 83 Olsen, Mauger, Lee, Sigalos., Carter, Sanders all went for whatever reason a huge void..For me the Danes after that had an easy ride all those quality riders gone saying that got to realise just  how good Hans was and Erik Jan O and Tommy rated all of them after the classy Olsen.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Betts, Ashby, Wilson ,and both the  Boocock brothers all underachieved on the world scene but we all know just how good they all were.The era then was so strong and to travel abroad on foreign soil was not an easy task then either to see all them ride as geniune number 1 riders was a real privilege.

Eric Boocock could fit the bill for someone who retired too early ? 

Further to Falcace's point, you could  argue no one who walks away fit and healthy from Speedway has retired too soon.

Edited by salty
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, falcace said:

Good call Ron Preston. Saw quite a bit of him at Eastbourne during his last year riding in the UK and he was a particular master around the first two bends.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, salty said:

Eric Boocock could fit the bill for someone who retired too early ? 

Further to Falcace's point, you could no one who walks away fit and healthy from Speedway has retired too soon.

Funny thing is salty Eric rarely had a scratch in his career unlike Nigel  until he broke his arm at Newport in 1973.He came back and won a top class British Final in 74 great stylist hated watching him in his ill fated 1983 comeback.

• Like 1

Keith Millard and Rob Lightfoot, two guys that won the British Junior Championship and had retired within a year or two. 

Also, one I hadn't really clocked, but read in the Star in one of their features around past teams - David Tyler. Emerged from novice to key man for Long Eaton in 1984 and retired a year later. 

14 minutes ago, falcace said:

Keith Millard and Rob Lightfoot, two guys that won the British Junior Championship and had retired within a year or two. 

Also, one I hadn't really clocked, but read in the Star in one of their features around past teams - David Tyler. Emerged from novice to key man for Long Eaton in 1984 and retired a year later. 

If I recall Rob Lightfoot picked up a neck injury which forced his early retirement after attempting to resurrect his career?

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 4:29 PM, falcace said:

Have to agree, it’s not a sport dabble in,if your 100% committed your safer out of it,to many risk factors that you have no control over.Agree regarding Bridger totally wasted talent,if only he had half a brain .

• Like 1

Marcus Bisson of Poole

Seemed be progressing mid 80's, 7ish average in the National League then disappeared.

Not sure if he picked up an injury but I did see him riding on a beach in Jersey early 90's.

Maybe he just didn't want to leave the Channel Islands too often.  Who can blame him.

• Like 1

Bruce Penhall, Dag Lovaas, Ron Preston and Phil Collins all could have been around for much longer if they wanted to.

At the other end of the scale, Jim Brett of Belle Vue looked like he was about to make the breakthrough but quit as he had a good job lined up (in IT I believe, which in the late 70s would have been pretty well paid I imagine)

• Like 2