British Speedway Forum

BERWICK v BIRMINGHAM (May 22nd) 6.30pm - followed by Bullets v Belle Vue Colts

12 minutes ago, alang said:

First match of the season.

6 man Berwick team 39   Championship Select 51

And this is supposed to be a professionally run sport!!!!

Well Brum offered Berwick to change the dates like Edinburgh and Newcastle did but Berwick declined so what could Brum do apart from choose guests which they were entitled to do

Edited by zlata prilba
  • Like 6

Not blaming Birmingham at all and well done to them.It's just the rules of speedway which need looked at.Maybe if there was a chance to have a year off racing it would be an opportunity to sort the sport out for the future - or possibly not.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, alang said:

Not blaming Birmingham at all and well done to them.It's just the rules of speedway which need looked at.Maybe if there was a chance to have a year off racing it would be an opportunity to sort the sport out for the future - or possibly not.

As you can see, possibly not.

47 minutes ago, alang said:

At UK level I don't think it is even supposed to be that anymore..

Lets be honest, this season the promoters can hide behind the pandemic and the fans will cut them lots of slack given how long they have been without speedway..

The reality of course is that much of what will happen this season will have happened pandemic or not..

As that is simply the way they choose to run things..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alang said:

Exactly that, it’s not Birmingham’s fault but it’s the system that is the problem. I’ve said it many times over the course of the winter but it’s blatantly obvious now that the system should of been changed to be 6 man teams. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by 7 man teams with guests galore everywhere.

• Like 3

It was a change to the rules made in recent years that allowed for today's situation to crop up.  Up to recently (not sure exactly when) you weren't allowed a "facility" for riders who had never ridden for your team. The Brummies came a cropper under that rule in 2007 when Emiliano Sanchez missed the first meeting and we had to use a 3 point NL reserve in his place.

Now imagine if the Brummies (or even Sheffield last Monday) had to track 3 point NL reserves instead of "proper" guests.

But as has been said elsewhere. The FIM & FIME fixtures have been known for months. And like in many previous years in the past, nobody cares about these when setting up British fixtures. The sport's organisation is a joke.

2 hours ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Is this sour grapes

I can't obviously speak for the person concerned but I would be surprised if it was...

Because, over the years, my team (or should I say my 'select'), have lost ( and won) in such contrived circumstances, and therefore, the outcome of the meeting didn't matter enough to be disappointed (or pleased)..

And when followers of a team sport have an attitude of '"the result doesn't really matter" due to way the teams are contrived, then it really can't be a good thing...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, alang said:

Brummies asked Berwick to change the date Berwick declined.

How do you suppose Brummies or Berwick could have known Etheridge was going to get injured in his first ride.

Sour grapes from you and an own goal from Berwick, who could have easily just put on the NDL match

Nothing to do with professionalism of the sport at all. 

• Like 1

First of all it was so nice to see live speedway after so long without it but the racing at Berwick hasn’t changed at all after the track changes! Gate and go ! I can count on one hand how many passes there was last night. Harris was excellent and well done to Birmingham

• Like 1

Disappointing reslt for the home fans. Some of those riders need to have a long hard think... I enjoyed the NL match more, Greg Blair was the standout entertainment wise.

I didnt see any difference in how the track was riding after all the hard work put in.

Bandits will have to get their act together if they don't want crowds down to an unsustainable level

Edited by Shadders
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Brummies asked Berwick to change the date Berwick declined.

How do you suppose Brummies or Berwick could have known Etheridge was going to get injured in his first ride.

Sour grapes from you and an own goal from Berwick, who could have easily just put on the NDL match

Nothing to do with professionalism of the sport at all. 

Absolutely everything to do with professionalism of the sport. The situation should have been taken out of both clubs hands. Take Etheridge out of the equation and you still have two guests and R/R fit the first match of the season, should have been rescheduled by the governing body as soon as that became apparent. 

People go on and on about racing, the bikes, track prep etc but the biggest problem we have is unavailability of riders. People want to see 7v7 of contracted riders wherever possible! 

• Like 6

I refrained from posting last night! That was a very very bitter pill to swallow! And already, even though it’s only the 1st meeting, a 12 point home defeat is not a good way to start! Some may see this as moaning, but trust me, I speak as a very long time genuine fan of Berwick. I’ve spent thousands following my club over the years, sacrificed family holidays, made excuses to miss birthdays just so I could get to away meetings #imabadfriend
We are seriously going to struggle using RR for Coty. Nobody knows when the South American borders will be opened and even when so, he’ll have to quarantine over here! IMO, that needs sorted ASAP!  We need Dany G on rubbish hot home form and that was sadly not so last night as can be said with Spud too.
Losing Jye was a big blow for us... immediately throwing more pressure on to Leon and Kyle in the process. 
Our 2 reserves definitely showed huge promise though. Leon scoring 9&2 which should have been more but for his bike failing when leading heat 4. 
Racing in the 1st meeting was not brilliant... going to have to turn it around against Scunthorpe! 

on the upside, I did enjoy the NDL meeting against Belle Vue where there was actually some memorable passes... Greg Blair being the stand out! 

• Like 2

So... Kai Huckenbeck pulled out of the European challenge meeting the other day, the one that fellow German was ‘on stand by’ for... and he was replaced by Ivacic...? Could it be that he maybe couldn’t get to Berwick in time due to racing in Germany on Friday night for Landshut... Which would surely mean no facility? Because he quite clearly wasn’t on stand by, and even if he was, that surely does not give a facility???? 

In terms of last night, brilliant to be back at a stadium, bar Greg Blair the racing was awful, shock, don’t know why Jye got EX in ht3, but the main question has to be why we haven’t replaced Coty, as it was surely obvious that he wasn’t making it over, or anytime soon. Harris brilliant bar ht1, Leon and NBJ who afaik hasn’t even rode the ‘new’ track before the only bright sparks. Gappmaier worrying, he’s only good for home meetings in the first place... Good to see a not bad sized crowd as well

Edited by allthegearbutnaeidea