British Speedway Forum

Kent vs Leicester Tuesday 18th 6.30pm

3 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

Not really,, more of a realist, When did he come back into Speedway when he bought Rye House again late 90s early 00s ? 

How many promoters have been and gone in that time ?  People might not like him or his management style but to put it bluntly he must be doing something right

One of Len Silvers targets seems to always have been to try and do everything to have 'weekly speedway'...

Which has no doubt helped him when deciding to call off meetings, as he knows there is (usually), "always next week". Meaning dissapointed fans won't have to wait long to be back at the stadium, and he won't be 'peeing off' his customers by putting on either a very poor meeting or calling one off after it has started...

For many other tracks it may be their only meeting for a month so try everything they know to get 'dodgy weather' meetings on, with often the obvious disastrous consequences for the entertainment value provided and dissatisfaction to their 'customers'...

Fair play to the guy, his longevity in the sport suggests that he more than "knows his stuff"...

• Like 1

Its a good point Cityrebel makes about the curfew and rain on the night but all in all this makes me very uncomfortable.

Last Tuesday I was Walderslade (one junction away from the track) there were brief showers but the heavy rain never arrived but of course the damage could have been done.

But here we are a week on and (against Eastbourne) with an even earlier call off and the forecast shows no rain today.

I don't want to travel and the match to be postponed and of course paramount is rider safety but I don't think speedway can continue to be regarded as a serious sport if matches are called off at the drop of a hat. If it is dry today,  I don't believe that with 8 hours to work on the track it cant make it raceable.

I worry that the real reason is the general lethargy in the sport.

But I do agree wet days are often not an easy call to make and indeed you cant please all of the people.

Cheers

6 hours ago, OldHawk said:

Its a good point Cityrebel makes about the curfew and rain on the night but all in all this makes me very uncomfortable.

Last Tuesday I was Walderslade (one junction away from the track) there were brief showers but the heavy rain never arrived but of course the damage could have been done.

But here we are a week on and (against Eastbourne) with an even earlier call off and the forecast shows no rain today.

I don't want to travel and the match to be postponed and of course paramount is rider safety but I don't think speedway can continue to be regarded as a serious sport if matches are called off at the drop of a hat. If it is dry today,  I don't believe that with 8 hours to work on the track it cant make it raceable.

But I do agree wet days are often not an easy call to make and indeed you cant please all of the people.

Cheers

Old Hawk, you make one mistake in your considerations.  You may not be aware, but Kent stage 6 greyhound meetings every week, many of them during

the day and I also learned only a few days ago that, as well as staging the dog meetings, they have to run dog trials as well which ( I think) happen every day.

So I doubt if there are 8 hours available to work on the Speedway track. I have also seen for myself that when a Speedway meeting is ended, the staff pull

down the back straight safety fence and load it onto a trailer, so, although I have not seen it as I am never at the stadium early enough, I must presume that

before racing can start, that fence has to be erected and must take quite a while. So, Old Hawk, you need to re-consider IMO.

On 5/25/2021 at 7:57 AM, OldHawk said:

Cheers

Try reading Stuart Dickson's report on the Lions Monarchs cancellation.