British Speedway Forum

Kings Lynn vs Ipswich Witches May 17th 7.30pm

3 hours ago, Starboy118 said:

It's dying on it's feet because of the sheer incompetence of those running it and people who stubbornly refuse to recognise the obvious that has happened and is happening in front of their eyes. It's a bit silly to attempt to defend the indefensible. :sad:

The differences these days are lack of top riders (chasing the big bucks of course) and lack of screaming, shouting, passionate fans (so many older, cynical, done that, been there, got the t-shirt people, younger people have other pastimes and can't be persuaded to otherwise) .......

Speedway has always been about those 4 guys on their motorcycles trying to win each race or help their team win a meeting. Has any rider got to the tapes and thought, right I'm gonna go for entertainment value in this heat, of course not. The entertainment comes from watching riders trying to pass one another and team riding one another.  Obviously the more skilled guys can make this happen so much easier than others ....... We mustn't lose sight of the skill and daring of any rider though, the majority of us wouldn't know where to start!!

When supporters grumble because prices have increased this year, remember most clubs pulled in hardly any revenue last year, but still had fixed costs to pay.

This year, I suspect attendance will be down at least initially. Some people will still have concerns over their own personal health, mixing with others. So numbers could be down because of that.

Also, due to health concerns, the government has put into effect some measures to protect supporters. There will inevitably be a cost incurred by clubs. These costs will be passed on to supporters. 
So it’s pretty certain there would be an increase, but having said that, and taking BV as an example, you can still get into the stadium for £17 if you are a “concession” ie a senior citizen. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Trees said:

The differences these days are lack of top riders (chasing the big bucks of course) and lack of screaming, shouting, passionate fans (so many older, cynical, done that, been there, got the t-shirt people, younger people have other pastimes and can't be persuaded to otherwise) .......

Speedway has always been about those 4 guys on their motorcycles trying to win each race or help their team win a meeting. Has any rider got to the tapes and thought, right I'm gonna go for entertainment value in this heat, of course not. The entertainment comes from watching riders trying to pass one another and team riding one another.  Obviously the more skilled guys can make this happen so much easier than others ....... We mustn't lose sight of the skill and daring of any rider though, the majority of us wouldn't know where to start!!

All well and good but the majority of races involve no overtaking and no team riding but, time after time, it is a case of follow the leader. Entertaining it aint. The majority of us wouldn't know where to start, of course. Similarly, how many of us would feel confident and at home running about on a professional football field? Just a thought. It is very easy to belittle something.

16 hours ago, Warriors said:

Get your head out the sand.:lol:

My head isn’t in the sand. Some people on here do nothing but point out the things that are wrong with British Speedway. It would be better if they pointed out the few good things about British Speedway instead of being negative all the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrss said:

My head isn’t in the sand. Some people on here do nothing but point out the things that are wrong with British Speedway. It would be better if they pointed out the few good things about British Speedway instead of being negative all the time.

How about you tell us what's good about British Speedway?? 

5 minutes ago, sommelier said:

Genuine question, how often do you attend Speedway ???

Not at all after 2018 after doing 20+ years home & away. What's your point?? 

Question still stand, tell us what's good about British Speedway?? 

29 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

What is good about British Speedway,  in the last 5 years we have one of the best tracks Belle Vue in the World.

Team GB looking better than it has for a long time,.

The hard work in the last few years that Allen Stead & Vatcher have put in

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

Having a local team to support, the racing, the online banter, watching it on tv, different clubs to go support your team at, british final of all ages, watching local guys come good, the long term friends and acquaintances within the sport, simply love the press conference after the meetings, local derbies, loving hating Poole lol etc etc

3 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

How about you tell us what's good about British Speedway?? 

What’s good about British Speedway? 
Having a team to support. Having a night out for 20 quid. Watching the young riders develop into decent riders. The British youth meeting at Lynn last year was worth the admission money. And most of all from my point of view, watching the Stars beat Ipswich Witches.

• Like 1

Just seen the new Government relaxation of fans into sports stadiums on May 17th.So as i would understand it Lynn has a capacity of 8000 i think which is a small outdoor stadium(i assume).We would be allowed 50% of capacity or 4000 whichever is the lower,so 4000 on both counts for that then.This would be plenty for speedway at Lynn anyway.What i don't understand with the Government is for big stadiums you are allowed less people on percentages.So why would you allow more people bunched in at speedway than you would at say a football match.

2 hours ago, mrss said:

Having a team to support. Having a night out for 20 quid. Watching the young riders develop into decent riders. The British youth meeting at Lynn last year was worth the admission money. And most of all from my point of view, watching the Stars beat Ipswich Witches.

That's about as frequent as a jackpot lottery win...;)

5 hours ago, sommelier said:

What is good about British Speedway,  in the last 5 years we have one of the best tracks Belle Vue in the World.

Team GB looking better than it has for a long time,.

The hard work in the last few years that Allen Stead & Vatcher have put in

What in all that has anything to do with British Speedway league racing for the majority of UK fans?? 

4 hours ago, Trees said:

Having a local team to support, the racing, the online banter, watching it on tv, different clubs to go support your team at, british final of all ages, watching local guys come good, the long term friends and acquaintances within the sport, simply love the press conference after the meetings, local derbies, loving hating Poole lol etc etc

The racing, at King's Lynn :lol:

2 hours ago, mrss said:

From these 3 comments pretty much proves my point. You certainly couldn't sell the sport to a newbie or an oldie with those comments. It absolutely proves the death of the sport that you had to say any old nonsense just to say something. 

British Speedway needs a hell of a lot of work to bring people in, right now it's dead. Facts

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

What in all that has anything to do with British Speedway league racing for the majority of UK fans?? 

The racing, at King's Lynn :lol:

From these 3 comments pretty much proves my point. You certainly couldn't sell the sport to a newbie or an oldie with those comments. It absolutely proves the death of the sport that you had to say any old nonsense just to say something. 

British Speedway needs a hell of a lot of work to bring people in, right now it's dead. Facts

Like i said, Belle Vue Stadium & track one of the best in the world. OPEN your EYES

• Like 1