British Speedway Forum

Has British Speedway now reached the bottom?

I was trying to post a tweet from the speedway press office saying “Remembering Kenny Carter on his 60th birthday” and saying “We remember him and extend our kind wishes to Kenny and Pam’s family today”

I don’t get offended, but I do get disgusted. And this tweet is, in my view, disgraceful

Edited by Wee Eck
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

I was trying to post a tweet from the speedway press office saying “Remembering Kenny Carter on his 60th birthday” and saying “We remember him and extend our kind wishes to Kenny and Pam’s family today”

I don’t get offended, but I do get disgusted. And this tweet is, in my view, disgraceful

I'm probably being thick, but I don't get what you are saying. Aside of what befell Kenny and Pam, he was still a great rider and sounds like, had he lived, he would be 60. Maybe not a celebration, but moreover, a fact. :unsure: 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

Not very well worded. IMO

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

If I could have reproduced the tweet - I couldn’t get it to copy over - perhaps you’d understand. I’ll try again 

I see what you mean. It hasn't been properly thought through. Definitely could have been better worded. Not sure it's disgusting or disgraceful, in my opinion. :unsure: 

• Like 1

Regardless of his talents on a speedway bike, for Speedway GB’s press office to eulogise a man who murdered his wife, then orphaned his children by killing himself is, in my opinion, the height of bad taste. And what sort of “kind wishes” are they expressing?

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

Jeez, I wonder if they’ll wish Jimmy Savile all the best ... one of our greatest DJ’s ....

You do sometimes wonder who’s in charge of their social media account and thought this was a good idea ? 

Actually and not saying it counter balances the awful things Jimmy Savile did, but he did raise a shed load of money for charity. In the case of Kenny Carter, I personally do not know why he did what he did, but I have always presumed he was pushed to some kind of limit, which many of us have experienced, but fortunately, the 'off switch' has activated just before something irreversible occurs. :( 

9 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

Actually and not saying it counter balances the awful things Jimmy Savile did, but he did raise a shed load of money for charity. In the case of Kenny Carter, I personally do not know why he did what he did, but I have always presumed he was pushed to some kind of limit, which many of us have experienced, but fortunately, the 'off switch' has activated just before something irreversible occurs. :( 

I think the charity work was perhaps just a calculated necessary 'passport' to enable the awful things so is completely negated 

The 'off switch' is the difference between a 'normal' human being and a monster. I can't see anyway way to mitigate the actions

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv
Spelling
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I think the charity work was perhaps just a calculated necessary 'passport' to enable the awful things so is completely negated 

The 'off switch' is the difference between a 'normal' human being and a monster. I can't see anyway way to mitigate the actions

I think describing Kenny Carter as a monster, is a bit over the top in my opinion. We are talking about one tragic event not a series of diabolical events. We still talk about Billy Sanders talents on track, but sadly took his own life, which I understand was due to problems with his private life. Perhaps that event could have ended differently, if Billy had 'turned right' instead of left. 'There but for the grace of God'.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

I think describing Kenny Carter as a monster, is a bit over the top in my opinion. We are talking about one tragic event not a series of diabolical events. We still talk about Billy Sanders talents on track, but sadly took his own life, which I understand was due to problems with his private life. Perhaps that event could have ended differently, if Billy had 'turned right' instead of left. 'There but for the grace of God'.

In Sanders case could have ended differently if those around him had taken notice of signs that they saw prior to the events of April 23rd 1985. John Berry certainly mentions that there possibly were signs that Billy wasn't right . But also mentions Billy hid things well. Didn't he score a maximum in his last meeting? 

Both were great on a speedway bike,  both must have been in a dark place, but only one murdered his wife. Which far out weighs any "good" Carter did. 

• Like 1