4. Josh Embleton 4.83

5. Ryan Terry-Daley 5.44

6. Danny Smith 3.00

7. Archie Freeman 3.00

Total: 34.12

Remaining: 0.82

Edited by Islander15

• Phil pinned this topic

Oh dear ...... with respect, so many  "3 point"  novice riders whom the public shouldn't be asked to pay to watch.

The gulf between the  " heat leaders" and "the rest"  is huge. Not sure that the BSPL have got this right in their indecent haste to produce new British Talent. 

Suggest the tracks with a " curfew"  will struggle to complete their meetings ...... and those clubs attempting double headers .... well good luck.

These 3.00er kids have been racing in the junior leagues for years, which is arguably more dangerous, sharing the track with 3 other 'wobblers' then riders who know what they're doing in this league like Max Clegg and Nathan Greaves... Injuries are just unfortunately part of the sport, especially for the young kids who are pushing themselves harder and harder each meeting to improve... Everyone's got to start somewhere

Edited by Dandelion
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bruno said:

I just hope none of these kids get hurt on these rocket ships. Riding and training on one is one thing but competitive racing I'm not sure

Can you tell me one rider from any team named so far that hasn't had any form of ‘ competitive racing ‘ under his belt ?

• Like 2

And remember that some of these kids have had 18 months more practice since they obtained their last average. Across all of the leagues you could see some big improvements from young riders. I have to say that none of the 3.00 riders in the Northern teams are not worthy/capable of an opportunity at this level based on what I've seen in the Northern Junior League matches.  Some really talented kids.

I would agree that perhaps some of the higher averaged riders have out grown this league and should have been excluded (i.e. anyone with a CL average over 4.00) but for those complaining about the lower points limit if it had been higher where are all the higher averaged riders coming from?  Genuine question, how many have missed out on a team place due to the lower limit?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, enotian said:

And remember that some of these kids have had 18 months more practice since they obtained their last average. Across all of the leagues you could see some big improvements from young riders. I have to say that none of the 3.00 riders in the Northern teams are not worthy/capable of an opportunity at this level based on what I've seen in the Northern Junior League matches.  Some really talented kids.

I would agree that perhaps some of the higher averaged riders have out grown this league and should have been excluded (i.e. anyone with a CL average over 4.00) but for those complaining about the lower points limit if it had been higher where are all the higher averaged riders coming from?  Genuine question, how many have missed out on a team place due to the lower limit?

There's plenty of riders without team spots so far, of course some of these could still get signed up!

Ben Woodhull, Paul Bowen, Josh Bailey, Nathan Stoneman, Jack P Blackburn, Tom Perry, Connor Coles, Luke Harris, Luke Chessell, Danno Verge, Adam Extance, Alex Spooner, Matt Marson, Scott Campos, Conor Dwyer, Tom Spencer, Callum Walker, Chad Wirtzfeld, David Wallinger, Adam Portwood, Paul Burnett, Chris Widman, Connor King, Shelby Rutherford & Adam Sheppard.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

There's plenty of riders without team spots so far, of course some of these could still get signed up!

Ben Woodhull, Paul Bowen, Josh Bailey, Nathan Stoneman, Jack P Blackburn, Tom Perry, Connor Coles, Luke Harris, Luke Chessell, Danno Verge, Adam Extance, Alex Spooner, Matt Marson, Scott Campos, Conor Dwyer, Tom Spencer, Callum Walker, Chad Wirtzfeld, David Wallinger, Adam Portwood, Paul Burnett, Chris Widman, Connor King, Shelby Rutherford & Adam Sheppard.

Its fair to say several (7ish) of those have retired but i do take the point that there are riders who's averages were attractive last season and now don't fit. I have said throughout that whilst i don't like the lower limit i like the way its been imposed and handled less. Current rules allow rookies and 8+ point riders in the same meeting/race. Should have been cut to less that 8 This season, decreasing by 0.5 over the next couple of season until no higher than 7. That would have left a league with plenty of spaces for new riders, riders starting out whos averages will rise and the current crop improving. Once they exceed the top limit they will either be good enough for a CL place or pushed out and not become a blocker for other riders looking for places.

5 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Current rules allow rookies and 8+ point riders in the same meeting/race. Should have been cut to less that 8 This season, decreasing by 0.5 over the next couple of season until no higher than 7. That would have left a league with plenty of spaces for new riders, riders starting out whos averages will rise and the current crop improving. Once they exceed the top limit they will either be good enough for a CL place or pushed out and not become a blocker for other riders looking for places.

Sorry but I think that's a terrible idea, once a rider gets a 7.00 ave he either moves up or his career is over, but keep your ave at 6.00 & you can ride in NL forever! Plus by removing top riders from NL each season the following seasons top riders may be nowhere near Championship level, cause even in league of weak riders someone has to be top of the averages!

17 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Sorry but I think that's a terrible idea, once a rider gets a 7.00 ave he either moves up or his career is over, but keep your ave at 6.00 & you can ride in NL forever! Plus by removing top riders from NL each season the following seasons top riders may be nowhere near Championship level, cause even in league of weak riders someone has to be top of the averages!

The apparent new focus is to bring more new riders through the sport, "places for all" if you like with the hope that if you throw enough ahem at a wall some will stick. The NL has always been plagued by those riders that hang around achieving not much more than 3rd heat leader at best, these are the riders that will end up on high averages with the new points reduction. If they are not good enough to step up to Cl then step aside and let the new crop through. In the same way that in 1,2 or 3 seasons max a half decent embryo youth rider could easily achieve a 7 point average in the weakened leagues but if they are not good enough to step up then what's the point of giving them places year on year? Likewise promotors want average improvements and shouldn't be signing riders who manage to keep their average in the 5-6 point range year on year (although its worked for Scott Campos for the past decade).