British Speedway Forum

Plymouth Gladiators 2021

19 minutes ago, TwoFourSpeed said:

Rather confused with this decision - not disputing that Lawson is a better more experienced rider then Edwards but Plymouth have no chance of making the plays off considering they are racing away to 3 of the top clubs where even with Lawson they have no chance of winning. Home win to Newcastle was nailed on whatever the team. 

yet this decision is going to cost (assuming Lawson is on £1.5k a meeting) around about £6k more than having Edwards for these meetings yet will put very little in terms of numbers on the gate for a single home match? After Eastbourne this seems poor financial management which is ironic given the main team sponsor!

Maybe this is linked to next year being that the novelty of Crump will have warn off and Pederson retiring?

You're right you are confused and making rash assumptions :nono:

• Haha 1

Credit where credit is due Plymouth and Mark in particular have proved everyone wrong this year.

They joined in late, set up the team so that they could get decent crowds in all season and cemented the club for next year.

people gave them no hope and they go into the last 3/4 meetings with a slim chance to get there. Bringing in Lawson gives that slim chance a bit stronger and may also look towards next season with possibly signing Lawson next season. 

I believe this team would have happened earlier but crumps injury didn’t allow it. it would have been a lot earlier this change happened and Plymouth would have been even stronger all season. 

there’s a chance they get in to the play offs and if they do they could win it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/4/2021 at 6:29 PM, lewy said:

Good looking line up for the gladiators 90th anniversary meeting, all the gladiators plus erik riss,Danny King,Chris Harris and Henry Atkins. Tues 7th September. 

What is the line up? I try to make a trip to Plymouth each year & this might be my day

1 hour ago, Technik said:

What is the line up? I try to make a trip to Plymouth each year & this might be my day

Bjarne pedersen ,zane keleher, Jason crump, zach cook,Richard Lawson, dillon ruml,Alfie Bowtell, Henry Atkins, Ben barker, Danny King,Chris Harris,erik riss,Kyle Newman (res)

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Technik said:

So can I assume a 12 rider individual & this will be the riding order?

Pleased to see young Henry Atkin getting a run out after his injury. Also suprised to see Kyle Newman at reserve

Individual meeting 12 qualifying heats then 3 finals A B & C plus 4 heats of Men in Black riding old machines. All heats are sponsored plus the finals with some big money for A final iirc £2000!!

3 hours ago, Technik said:

So can I assume a 12 rider individual & this will be the riding order?

Pleased to see young Henry Atkin getting a run out after his injury. Also suprised to see Kyle Newman at reserve

In between spannering for Zach unless the Holders and Kurtz are in town?!;)

43 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

In between spannering for Zach unless the Holders and Kurtz are in town?!;)

So your saying Newman would be there anyway.

I know he is without a team at present but I didn't understand why he would travel to Plymouth just to be a reserve when I think he is possibly better than half of those nominated.

I think I would have put Henry Atkins at reserve. I know his father is the meeting sponsor but the lad has not raced this year since the injury. He may have had a session around the circuit or after a meeting but theres a big difference between practice & racing

32 minutes ago, Technik said:

So your saying Newman would be there anyway.

I know he is without a team at present but I didn't understand why he would travel to Plymouth just to be a reserve when I think he is possibly better than half of those nominated.

I think I would have put Henry Atkins at reserve. I know his father is the meeting sponsor but the lad has not raced this year since the injury. He may have had a session around the circuit or after a meeting but theres a big difference between practice & racing

Henry is one of our own.. Looking forward to seeing him back on a bike as much as I am any of the big names, regardless of how rusty he is.

15 hours ago, Redflag said:

Individual meeting 12 qualifying heats then 3 finals A B & C plus 4 heats of Men in Black riding old machines. All heats are sponsored plus the finals with some big money for A final iirc £2000!!

Richard Lawson has taken a knock tonight @ Wolves - will he be riding in the 90th. & if not who will replace him?