British Speedway Forum

Plymouth Gladiators 2021

41 minutes ago, enotian said:

I thought only the top 4 in the USA championship qualify for a work permit?  They were Max Ruml, Broc Nicol, Billy Janniro and Luke Becker. Dillon Ruml ran 5th.

2020 FIM NORTH AMERICAN FINAL Perris, California 12.12.20 | Speedway Updates (proboards.com)

You may be right, I had top 5 in my mind.

3 hours ago, enotian said:

I thought only the top 4 in the USA championship qualify for a work permit?  They were Max Ruml, Broc Nicol, Billy Janniro and Luke Becker. Dillon Ruml ran 5th.

2020 FIM NORTH AMERICAN FINAL Perris, California 12.12.20 | Speedway Updates (proboards.com)

According to the doc on the SpeedwayGB website, the qualifying criteria for 2019 and 2020 were:

United States individual AMA Championships Top 4
American Final Top 4
AMA Nationals Top 4

I can't see a doc for 2021 and I'm not sure that all these events were held last year.

1 hour ago, HenryW said:

According to the doc on the SpeedwayGB website, the qualifying criteria for 2019 and 2020 were:

American Final Top 4
AMA Nationals Top 4

I can't see a doc for 2021 and I'm not sure that all these events were held last year.

If they end up being the same rider in different comps, does the work permit qualification rules move down to the next placed rider? Which could make Ruml eligible by finishing 5th. 

9 hours ago, HenryW said:

American Final Top 4
AMA Nationals Top 4

The FIM North American Final was held (see enotian's link)

The AMA sanctioned National championship was not held.

The SRA sanctioned National championship ( a Costa Mesa event) was not staged

The US Open (an East Coast event) was staged (see https://www.speedwaybikes.com/res2020_o/Champion-20200906.htm )

Champion New York also staged something called the Outlaw US National (look who came third!! https://www.speedwaybikes.com/res2020_o/Champion-20201011.htm )

For work permit purposes only the first of these matters.

1 hour ago, gmuncie said:

Did the question of if he qualifys for a work permit ever get answered? 

I think it depends on the interpretation of rules, the current version of which none of us has seen.

So the answer is - we have no idea, but I think a strong case can be made.

45 minutes ago, Doners123 said:

I could be very wrong but I work it out as 3.62. If Rumul and cook come in on 4 each. 

5.61 left as far as I can tell

1. Jason Crump 12.00

2. Zach Cook 4.00

4. Dillon Ruml 4.00

5. Bjarne Pedersen 10.37

6. Alfie Bowtell 3.02

7. Henry Atkins (2*)

Total: 33.39

20 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

1. Jason Crump 12.00

2. Zach Cook 4.00

4. Dillon Ruml 4.00

5. Bjarne Pedersen 10.37

6. Alfie Bowtell 3.02

7. Henry Atkins (2*)

A nice Zach Wajtknecht sized gap on 5.27, Although I did hear that he had some concerns about clashes with Longtrack GPs and also getting back to Plymouth from some of the German Monday meetings so the Gladiators may have gone down a different route.

I reckon the last rider will be a bit of a surprise that none of us see coming.

As for the team, I think it's great to have young riders that can develop and on 4 point averages they aren't too big a gamble imo. For this team to be competitive you have to think that one of Cook, Ruml or the final rider will have to hit the ground running and score big points early on but that said I do think at home Plymouth will compete. After the first set of averages when Crump and Pedersen likely free up about 4 points, Plymouth should be able to strengthen considerably in the middle order, if required.

9 minutes ago, torpointfanatic22 said:

I reckon the last rider will be a bit of a surprise that none of us see coming.

As for the team, I think it's great to have young riders that can develop and on 4 point averages they aren't too big a gamble imo. For this team to be competitive you have to think that one of Cook, Ruml or the final rider will have to hit the ground running and score big points early on but that said I do think at home Plymouth will compete. After the first set of averages when Crump and Pedersen likely free up about 4 points, Plymouth should be able to strengthen considerably in the middle order, if required.

So you think it great to develop young riders,then in the next sentence you are going to have to drop them to get a higher middle order man to strengthen the Team!:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dandelion said:

1. Jason Crump 12.00

2. Zach Cook 4.00

4. Dillon Ruml 4.00

5. Bjarne Pedersen 10.37

6. Alfie Bowtell 3.02

7. Henry Atkins (2*)

You are correct, tried working out via the confirmed signings thread up the top and did t realise they already took Atkins average off. 

Whoever it is could be a short term sacrificial lamb who gets a few meetings to put themselves in the window before being replaced when the real averages are out. Obviously if all the youngsters get off to a flier that could spoil the 'plans'. Theres definitely a lot of money going into this team though with the visa sponsorships and the heat leaders costs / guarantee's.