British Speedway Forum

Plymouth Gladiators 2021

12 minutes ago, Najjer said:

BWD average is not 6.00 - I can’t remember what it is exactly but it was high 8s when Somerset signed him last year.

He finished on 5.47 with Peterborough in 2019. So if my maths are correct that woud make him 8.21 at Championship level.

14 minutes ago, Najjer said:

BWD average is not 6.00 - I can’t remember what it is exactly but it was high 8s when Somerset signed him last year.

So the average that he attained in 2018 in the Championship does not count, as that states a 6 point average.

That was the last Championship average that I could find for him.

28 minutes ago, screm said:

Signing Crump and Pedersen is a calculated gamble and as long as those looking after the finances at Plymouth have got their sums right there shouldn't be an issue. If they have not Plymouth will be in all kinds of trouble.

Discarding the financial outlay(which is not the fans concern),unless they sign a couple of riders that are going to ride well above there starting average they might struggle.You need more than a big top 2 to win matches IMO.

1 hour ago, Paddy The Rebel said:

I didn't think it was that high 8.20.......

Jason was signed by Ipswich on 8.21 to be precise.

34 minutes ago, JamesHarris said:

Well it's a bold signing that's for sure but one can't help think the owners are throwing their money around with more focus on winning a trophy than focusing on managing the finances. As someone else has pointed out Workington comes to mind. Very risky for a track that has been operating in the National League and still would be if it had not been for Somerset deciding not to run. 

I wish them luck but I really hope this doesn't end up being a reckless move that will bankrupt the club. British speedway has lost enough tracks over the last decade without losing any more.  

I  dont think the comets threw the money around just 7 lads who clicked and had a hell of a season.

• Like 2

Good Luck to Plymouth and their promotion - certainly got everyone talking about them,

All this fuss about how much it is costing and finances, these are very different times to even two seasons ago, so who  knows what deals have been done, I personally think that both these riders are not looking for big paydays and are more likely to just want to ride and enjoy their "twilight" years. I don't know and have no inside knowledge, but I bet their are other riders in the Championship on better deals 

• Like 2

On 2/10/2021 at 6:17 PM, Ghosty said:

Why on earth would Jason Crump sign for Plymouth I thought?

To keep match fit, Tuesdays race day, Track would suit his skill, Close relatives living in Exeter, a prodigy or 2 in the team.

There just might be some millage in this! 

So I thought it might happen - but amazed it has!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, northyorksbear said:

Good Luck to Plymouth and their promotion - certainly got everyone talking about them,

All this fuss about how much it is costing and finances, these are very different times to even two seasons ago, so who  knows what deals have been done, I personally think that both these riders are not looking for big paydays and are more likely to just want to ride and enjoy their "twilight" years. I don't know and have no inside knowledge, but I bet their are other riders in the Championship on better deals 

Better deal? is that the city where a kiss is not a sign of affection?  

1. Jason Crump 12.00

2. Henry Atkins 2.24

3. Bradley Wilson Dean 8.21

4. Wilbur Hancock 4.00

5. Bjarne Pedersen 10.37

6. Richard Andrews 2.00

7. Nathan Stoneman 2 star

Total: 38.82 (2* rising star)

Don't get me wrong, I think it's an awful team... But it sure is an interesting one... And I think riders like Wilbur and Henry would shock a few... Once Jason and Bjarne got proper averages, they'd be able to replace (Henry/Nathan/Richard) with a 4.00 Aussie maybe? Zaine Kennedy at number 2 and the other two who are kept out of (Henry/Nathan/Richard) at reserve... Not bad tbh... So eventually the team may look like

1. Jason Crump

2. Zaine Kennedy/Josh MacDonald

3. Bradley Wilson Dean

4. Wilbur Hancock

5. Bjarne Pedersen

6. Henry Atkins

7. Nathan Stoneman

Considering the riders they had to choose from...

Edited by Dandelion

Can't help but think it'll all end in tears unless there is someone with extremely deep pockets behind it.
Plymouth making the same mistake as countless speedway promoters before them and throwing money at riders.

They should be investing in their most important asset, their track, and start putting a proper sized track in instead of the small training track they've got now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

Can't help but think it'll all end in tears unless there is someone with extremely deep pockets behind it.
Plymouth making the same mistake as countless speedway promoters before them and throwing money at riders.

They should be investing in their most important asset, their track, and start putting a proper sized track in instead of the small training track they've got now.

What's the track like at Stoke :t:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stoke Potter said:

As it’s likely to be a short , sort of Mickey Mouse season then their gamble on going big might not cost them much especially if they draw a large crowd for the first few home matches. They’ve certainly created some news in dire times for the sport.

• Like 1