British Speedway Forum

Zenon Plech RIP

On 11/26/2020 at 4:29 PM, PolskiZuzel said:

(...) At first, the referee from the GDR (East Germany) excluded Khlynowski and awarded three points to Plech, two to Collins, and one to Gorideyev . It is known in speedway that once the referee makes a decision, there is no point in protesting , because he will not change it. This time however it was different. Immediately after the referee verdict, the Anglo-Saxon camp started to defend the Ivan Mauger’s interests . They assumed that in the run-off Mauger would defeat Szczakiel, (…) who, incidentally, was a huge revelation of the tournament. They realised that it would be more difficult with Plech, and moreover, Mauger would have a coalition of opponents rather than having to settle for a one-to-one duel. The leaders of the protests turned out to be Ole Olsen (Mauger's close friend), the leading British journalist Phil Rising and the influential man in British speedway, Reg Fearman.

The telephone line between the referee's booth and the pits got heated up. There were arguments that throughout the tournament the referee favoured the Russians and the Poles. That he did not care about the flying starts of his Eastern friends, and kept the Western stars under the tape. Sharp words and accusations began to fall without limitation. Words about scandal, lack of fair-play and protests to the FIM. In the end referee bowed down and changed his original decision in favour of a new, daring interpretation!

Well, Khlynowski remained disqualified, but three points went to Collins, two to Plech, who did not finish the race, and one point for Gordeyev who at the time of Plech’s crash was in fourth position . "This interpretation had no logic," said Plech later on. - It is difficult to justify why the German referee decided in this way. To this day, I don't know and I wonder how the run-off with my participation would go. Unfortunately, I will never know - said Super Zenon years later, who finally finished the competition in third place, and the title was won by his countryman Jerzy Szczakiel.

I am more than  surprised that not a one person commented on the revelations highlighted in red

Mauger wasn't that popular with fans at Zenon's English club Hackney. Mauger mentioned that years later along with Wimbledon if I remember rightly . He was allocated to Hackney by British Speedways rider control I believe in the late 60s and refused to go there.

On 12/5/2020 at 6:34 PM, keepturningleft said:

How many of you knew that Plech was Vice Champion of London?

Check this article out, presumably translated form Polish - it's absolutely hilarious.

https://www.world-today-news.com/zenon-plech-is-dead-a-man-to-whom-the-english-bowed-the-waist-and-he-had-no-equal-in-the-polish-league/

Yeah!...translated by GOOGLE!

On a serious note...check the latest issue of The SPEEDWAY STAR and read an excellent tribute to the late Zenon PLECH.

Thank you SS!

• 10 months later...

I'm busy translating an interview with Zenon Plech from Polish to English that will be included in a book that will be printed in early December if anyone is interested. The book will have interviews with around 30 current and former riders, and it's being published by the Polish website Po-Bandzie. If anyone is interested in buying a copy, please PM me. Other riders interviewed include Emil Sayfutdinov, Erik Gundersen, Tommy Knudsen, Scott Nicholls, Egon Muller and lots of others. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stewmac said:

I'm busy translating an interview with Zenon Plech from Polish to English that will be included in a book that will be printed in early December if anyone is interested. The book will have interviews with around 30 current and former riders, and it's being published by the Polish website Po-Bandzie. If anyone is interested in buying a copy, please PM me. Other riders interviewed include Emil Sayfutdinov, Erik Gundersen, Tommy Knudsen, Scott Nicholls, Egon Muller and lots of others. 

Just sent you a PM.