British Speedway Forum

Team Captains...Those That Perhaps Don't Immediately Spring To Mind?

steve roberts

10 hours ago, Terry said:

That's right. Thommo took over in 75, up til 81 when he joined Crayford, and Finn Thomsen was skipper for the last three years in the BL.

Thanks for that! I'm sure that Hughie then became skipper of the "Rockets" when he dropped dowm a league?

Edited by steve roberts

8 hours ago, The Third Man said:

Bob was one of the best captains Sheffield had

Bob was one of the friendliest riders I met as a youngster. Though tbh there were a lot of very friendly and patient riders. Sad to read later that he was somewhat troubled, but guess a lot of people manage to hide it away

33 minutes ago, Shrub said:

Tony Davey broke his thigh for the second time, both times through no fault of his own, three days before his testimonial. Also ended his career.

That was the one where they printed the photo of the crash on a later programme, wasn't it? Where he was laying on the track with his leg doubled underneath him?

Just now, Shrub said:

Yes, still makes me wince just thinking of that photo

Yeah, I've never seen anything like that! Still shocked that they would publish something like that in a programme!

1 minute ago, chunky said:

Yeah, I've never seen anything like that! Still shocked that they would publish something like that in a programme!

Never thought about it that way but you're right, if it had happened say last year they certainly wouldn't have published it. Different sensitivities 40 years ago? I think John Berry re-produced it in his first book, along with the photo's of Shrimp's hand after the crash that cost him a couple of fingers and thumb.  

9 minutes ago, Shrub said:

Never thought about it that way but you're right, if it had happened say last year they certainly wouldn't have published it. Different sensitivities 40 years ago? I think John Berry re-produced it in his first book, along with the photo's of Shrimp's hand after the crash that cost him a couple of fingers and thumb.  

It's certainly not the kind of photo that would encourage a kid to become a speedway rider!

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 3:04 PM, steve roberts said:

I have a feeling that Geoff Mudge was captain of Reading in 1972?

I have nothing but huge regards for Geoff.

He became Captain at Poole in 1963 and served us brilliantly until his move to Reading in 1971.

In fact, I still think of him as our BEST EVER Captain

• Like 1

I seem to recall that Oxford during the 1976 season adopted a very different approach in that whoever was top of the averages at the end of every month rode at number one and as captain and had a special race jacket dedicated to same.

18 minutes ago, Chadster said:

John Dews was captain of Sheffield but was never their number one, same for the Templeton brothers at Edinburgh and Glasgow and Alby Golden at Newport. I recently saw a picture of a 1969 newcastle team with Mike Watkin, not Ole Olsen as skipper.

I believe that John Dews topped the Sheffield averages in 1966, Doug Templeton did likewise for Edinburgh in 1960 and 1962, with Alby Golden top at Newport in 1964.

• Like 1