British Speedway Forum

Michael Lee - 40 years on from becoming World champion

On 9/7/2020 at 10:25 AM, Grachan said:

Good post. I think the best rider I ever saw was Michael Lee when he was on top form.

I remember a Golden Helmet at Swindon - Phil Crump vs Michael Lee. Crump was almost unbeatable at Swindon. In the Golden Helmet races, Lee was pulling wheelies down the straights and still won by half a lap.

Absolutely. Bo Peterson at Hackney at that time was pretty much the same . He couldn't beat Michael either for the Golden Helmet who won 2 - 1 from memory. 

On 9/7/2020 at 10:25 AM, Grachan said:

Good post. I think the best rider I ever saw was Michael Lee when he was on top form.

I remember a Golden Helmet at Swindon - Phil Crump vs Michael Lee. Crump was almost unbeatable at Swindon. In the Golden Helmet races, Lee was pulling wheelies down the straights and still won by half a lap.

I recall a Golden Helmet Challenge at Eastbourne against Gordon Kennett and Michael failed to put in an appearance and Gordon won by default. Massive talent as Lee was he was also his own worse enemy.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kelvinht said:

SCB?

SCB only took action when Michael transgressed which was their duty. Michael was riding at a time when not only were they many riders from the USA here but also a number of mechanics. Their attitude to smoking pot was very liberal, mostly coming from California, where you could get high just sitting in the stands at Costa Mesa. 

It was also a time when national newspapers took a significant interest in speedway, unlike now, and Michael's misdemeanours were always going to get coverage right across the media board.

That doesn't detract from his huge talent but, a bit like George Best, his career went of the rails at times although, to the best of my knowledge, he never woke one morning with Miss World in his bed:neutral:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I watched him ride before he was old enough to race and it was obvious then he was a very special and talented rider, like a lot of other people he had a weakness for drugs and it cost him a long career in a sport.

I have also spoken to him several times since he retired and he comes across very well, absolutely no point in blaming anyone else for his misfortunes in life the fault lies with Lee.

Unfortunately drug use ruins lives and not only for the one using them.

7 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

I watched him ride before he was old enough to race and it was obvious then he was a very special and talented rider, like a lot of other people he had a weakness for drugs and it cost him a long career in a sport.

I have also spoken to him several times since he retired and he comes across very well, absolutely no point in blaming anyone else for his misfortunes in life the fault lies with Lee.

Unfortunately drug use ruins lives and not only for the one using them.

I remember watching him as a fifteen year old at Cowley (1974) doing demonstration races with Colin Richardson. Colin was the victor I recall!

6 hours ago, Goldhawk said:

Absolutely. Bo Peterson at Hackney at that time was pretty much the same . He couldn't beat Michael either for the Golden Helmet who won 2 - 1 from memory. 

After beating Chris Morton after a great battle (which included the only ever dead-heat of the competition) at the end of 1980, after a great year for Bo and the Hawks, We were eagerly anticipating his first defence against Lee.

Michael was phenomenal and was crossing the finishing line while Bo was still coming out of the fourth bend for an easy 2-0 win..He also set the two fastest times of the season.

He could've been the greatest ever if only etc...He was certainly the most naturally talented rider I've ever seen. The only other rider who came close was Darcy Ward imo.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Terry said:

After beating Chris Morton after a great battle (which included the only ever dead-heat of the competition) at the end of 1980, after a great year for Bo and the Hawks, We were eagerly anticipating his first defence against Lee.

Michael was phenomenal and was crossing the finishing line while Bo was still coming out of the fourth bend for an easy 2-0 win..He also set the two fastest times of the season.

He could've been the greatest ever if only etc...He was certainly the most naturally talented rider I've ever seen. The only other rider who came close was Darcy Ward imo.

I'd never seen Darcy Ward ride (even on film) so can not make a comparison...I'm only aware of his off-track exploits more's the pity.

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I'd never seen Darcy Ward ride (even on film) so can not make a comparison...I'm only aware of his off-track exploits more's the pity.

It's true he was a bit of an idiot, but he seemed to be pulling himself together when he returned from his ban, only to have his accident soon after. I'd recommend you seeking out some of his races on film, he really was a talent.

• Like 2

I remember watching Mike when he was 14, flying around Saddlebow Rd as it was known then, I used to time him. He was close to the meetings race times, even then. Another thing that stands out is him practicing after a meeting before his comeback. I was standing next to Kelly and Shaun Moran, leaning on the little wire fence opposite the home straight bar. Can't remember which brother said it, but can still remember one saying "he's to fast" as Mike powered out of the 4th bend and his front wheel hovered 6 inches above the track, all the way down the home straight until he entered the first bend, for 4 or 5 laps.. Also remember his first meeting back at Lynn. He had Todd Whiltshire in his first ride. Todd was flying then and was a great trapper. Mike gated, and won by half a straight.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 10:45 AM, Terry said:

Well done Terry. Thanks for the clarity on GH result, yeah it was 2 - 0 . Was shocked to see the manner in which Bo was beaten. I remember Michael had a column in the Star and writing about the KL 27 - 51 victory at Waterdon Road. It must have been late 70s maybe. To those who haven't read the book on him ( and DVD ? ) i recommend.  

Edited by Goldhawk
correction
  • Like 1

I read somewhere, possibly here on the forum, that Lee blew Kenny Carter away in the Golden Helmet at Halifax when Carter was 'the boy' around the Shay....

Edited by martinmauger
belated spelling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have to agree a lot of what is being said about Michael on this thread.

He was brilliant at the age of 16 the like of which I have never seen in any other rider in 50 years.

In my view even the extremely talented Darcy Ward was well short of the level Michael was at as a teenager.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, martinmauger said:

I read somehere, possibly here on the forum, that Lee blew Kenny Carter away in the Golden Helmet at Halifax when Carter was 'the boy' around the Shay....

I remember that happening, it was at the time that Carter was going around telling everyone he was " England Number 1 "

would love to have seen it

20 hours ago, WembleyLion said:

I have to agree a lot of what is being said about Michael on this thread.

He was brilliant at the age of 16 the like of which I have never seen in any other rider in 50 years.

In my view even the extremely talented Darcy Ward was well short of the level Michael was at as a teenager.

Agreed. Michael could have been a Speedway Great and in the very top bracket with Mauger and Rickardson with one World Championship already at 20 . Therein could have been the problem being so young with to much to soon. He was both dazzling and brilliant. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 2:32 PM, martinmauger said:

I read somewhere, possibly here on the forum, that Lee blew Kenny Carter away in the Golden Helmet at Halifax when Carter was 'the boy' around the Shay....

I was fortunate to be there that night with Michael,  when he  totally destroyed Kenny Carter..  In both Golden Helmet races  he won by the proverbial mile,  each time breaking the track record. in the process.     Such was his dominance that night, there was suggestion his bike was unlawfully quick.  

Following speedway for many years,  I am always  questioned  about my opinion of top Riders, when I will always i say that Michael Lee was up there with the VERY BEST  of all time....

• Like 5

On 9/17/2020 at 7:13 PM, g13webb said:

I was fortunate to be there that night with Michael,  when he  totally destroyed Kenny Carter..  In both Golden Helmet races  he won by the proverbial mile,  each time breaking the track record. in the process.     Such was his dominance that night, there was suggestion his bike was unlawfully quick.  

Following speedway for many years,  I am always  questioned  about my opinion of top Riders, when I will always i say that Michael Lee was up there with the VERY BEST  of all time....

I wish i had seen those races live both 2.0 victories at Halifax and Poole to beat Carter like that was no mean feat. He also went through the card that night at Halifax in a pairs meeting partnering Julian Parr..Also people forget Michael also defeated the great Gundersen in a defence if my memory is correct??? Michael was stripped of the title with his no shows against Kennett/ S.Moran( different years).??

On 9/23/2020 at 11:22 AM, Sidney the robin said:

I wish i had seen those races live both 2.0 victories at Halifax and Poole to beat Carter like that was no mean feat. He also went through the card that night at Halifax in a pairs meeting partnering Julian Parr..Also people forget Michael also defeated the great Gundersen in a defence if my memory is correct??? Michael was stripped of the title with his no shows against Kennett/ S.Moran( different years).??

Sydney,  ,I cant comment  on the Moran clash, but  was in the know in regard the the Kennett challenge.   It had been planned that Michael was to ride in the first Moto-cross  meeting after his father had acquired the reigns of ELSWORTH Moto-Park. Michael  had  cancelled  lucrative meeting abroad just to be free to ride for his father  as a promotion.    Believing,  Lee was free,  the Speedway board  instructed him to race against Kennett  that same weekend .   Michael explained it  was not possible as he was booked elsewhere, but they wouldn't recognise moto-cross meeting as a  excuse and wouldn't take no for an answer.   All arrangements were put in place believing Lee would change his mind and ride both home and away legs.    

However,  After winning the home leg 2-0  on the Saturday night, Michael gave the Helmut to Kennett to take home with him, telling him he would not be there for the return leg, because as he had promised he would be  at the Elsworth meeting . So one has to believe that Eastbourne were aware that Lee was not going to  race there.   They could have let the fans know, had they wanted to be up front..... 

This whole sorry episode could and should have been avoided.    The governing Powers should have been more understanding instead  of taking  a high handed approach, and no doubt Lee should have made the situation more public,  but he was always of the impression that he was victimised.  This will be remembered as  just another notch  that killed some interest we supporters had    At the end of the day it was the fans who missed out again ...       

Edited by g13webb
  • Like 1